Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Am I being unreasonable?

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
Told a friend last night that I expect this guy (https://gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9465) to make noise this spring and summer camp.

Yes, MJ Ale is only a RS Freshman. He is "raw," but he has been getting coached up for a year now. The guy is 360 fucking pounds and has tremendous athleticism and hand speed (boxing champion). If Nick Harris and Jaxson Kirkland can start as freshmen, why can't this guy at least turn some heads and press for playing time?

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter
    Like we say, yes.

If he were a DL, he'd have more opportunity as a raw player. Offensive line is technical as fuck. Harris & Kirkland came in without the physical tools that Ale has, but much more experience.

It's hard. It's a process.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    edited March 2019

Like we say, yes.

If he were a DL, he'd have more opportunity as a raw player. Offensive line is technical as fuck. Harris & Kirkland came in without the physical tools that Ale has, but much more experience.

The playbook requires 5 to 6 years to master

If you think its easy to develop an offense where QBs collapse and tight ends that disappears in big games you try coaching
    Fixed.

• animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    Hand speed related to boxing is great ... if Ale was allowed to punch the opposing players legally ... otherwise he will have to be developed and it's gonna take awhile ...
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,791 Swaye's Wigwam
    I think we’re in a position where we don’t have to play Ale so early which is weird and confusing for die hards.

In days of yonders past, you get a big mutha fucka and play him and hope he’s somewhat serviceable.

I’m sure he’d be more than serviceable but IIRC he was labeled as one of the biggest projects in the class but also one with biggest potential upside. Very raw.

Another 2 yrs developing and then an anchor for two yrs. Huffs doing something right if we have the luxury to store away guys like this until they are ready/needed.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    animate said:

Hand speed related to boxing is great ... if Ale was allowed to punch the opposing players legally ... otherwise he will have to be developed and it's gonna take awhile ...

Getting your hands on an opposing DL is a core function of an OL. Hand speed and hand-eye coordination are important.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    Passion said:

animate said:

Getting your hands on an opposing DL is a core function of an OL. Hand speed and hand-eye coordination are important.
    Oh, I get it.

It's just that in boxing, punching and disengaging, slipping and moving is quite a bit different than American style football where you are grabbing and holding, attempting to engage and stay engaged without being called for holding.

Ale is Aussie background and he's got to unlearn or modify a ton of stuff before he can see the field as a husky
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943

Like we say, yes.

The playbook requires 5 to 6 years to master

If you think its easy to develop an offense that disappears in big games you try coaching
    Race you’ve been on fire lately
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,423
    Can't be that much worse than Watty and Bain, but... Probably not. I think his biggest issue is his lack of flexibility. That can be improved somewhat with time, but right now it makes him beind his waist bit when trying to engage, and also makes him lean forward a lot in his pass sets. He also has a bad habit of ducking his head. He's also learning a new position. It's gonna take time.

If you're looking for a savior at LG, Vic Curne is probably a better bet. I've finally come around on him. His biggest issue is probably that his base can get a little too narrow, but Kirkland has had that same issue. Curne has better body control and takes better angles. He also doesn't bend his waist quite as much, although you see it from time to time because he has kinda short arms. He's more ready to play though, and a better athlete than I may have given him credit for.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Like we say, yes.

This. It’s not physical but most young OL struggle with picking up blitzes, getting fooled by stunts, passing off blockers, etc.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    If he gets hurt in practice he could get a medical redshirt for this year.

He's not going to play much. If at all.