Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Huskies ‘feel very strongly’ about 2019 recruiting class

From the Athletic:

But don’t roll your eyes just yet. Because when all is said and done, the Huskies’ 2019 recruiting class could be remembered as one of the best — and most important — to come through Montlake in a long time.

It’s currently ranked as the consensus 17th-best group in the country; that’s one spot behind last year, which was the best ranking Petersen has had in five-plus years as UW’s coach. But this still feels like a step forward. The Huskies did, after all, sign more blue-chip (read: four-star or better) prospects than they did in the 2018 class, adding 14 compared to 10 a year ago. And they added young, talented depth where they need it the most, signing four defensive linemen and four inside linebackers, both positions that relied heavily last season on now-departed seniors.

The importance of this class, though, goes beyond the simple fact that it’s rated so high. It’s also noteworthy because the Huskies engaged in and won recruiting battles for those touted prospects against some of the nation’s top programs, a trend they must continue if they are to better compete with those teams when they face them on the field.

A sampling:

• Four-star defensive tackle Jacob Bandes, a consensus top-100 prospect from Pittsburg (Calif.) High, chose UW over national champion Clemson.

• Four-star outside linebacker Laiatu Latu, from Carmichael (Calif.) Jesuit, chose the Huskies over USC, Alabama, Georgia and Notre Dame, among others.

• Four-star defensive tackle Faatui Tuitele, a consensus top-100 prospect from Honolulu St. Louis and the West’s top-rated defensive tackle, had the following top five: Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Texas and Washington.

• Four-star cornerback Trent McDuffie, from Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco, also had offers from, among others, Alabama, USC and Florida before signing with the Huskies.

• The offer sheet for four-star Kapolei (Hawaii) High offensive lineman Julius Buelow included Notre Dame, Oregon, Florida and many others.

Wednesday, the Huskies added two four-star prospects who were sought by some of the nation’s best. Asa Turner, a four-star safety from Carlsbad (Calif.) High, nearly switched his UW commitment to Notre Dame during the early signing period in December, but UW coaches were able to swing him back to the Huskies’ side and secured his signature Wednesday morning.

Four-star linebacker Daniel Heimuli, a consensus top-200 prospect from Menlo Park (Calif.) Menlo-Atherton, announced at a ceremony at his school that he, too, would sign with the Huskies. The other hats on the table: Alabama and Oregon, which had the Pac-12’s top-ranked recruiting class.

Ultimately, Washington signed nine of the top 50 players in California, per the 247Sports Composite. Eight are four-star prospects, and the ninth, three-star safety Cameron Williams from Bakersfield (Calif.) High, had offers from USC and Oregon, among others. For comparison’s sake, USC and Oregon each signed seven of the top 50, Arizona State five, Stanford four and UCLA one; California didn’t sign any. And while the Huskies signed only three players from the state of Washington, that group includes Graham-Kapowsin quarterback Dylan Morris and Seattle Rainier Beach offensive lineman Nathaniel Kalepo, the top-ranked players in the state.

“We just feel really good about these kids,” Petersen said. “I think you go down this list, and you can make a case for why we’re so excited for each one of these guys.”

This year, at least, that feels like more than just coach-speak.

WAM!!!!!

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2019

He gone soon

He should be the hottest name on the HC market next season.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

He gone soon

Yep, unless the defense were to really nose dive. It won't happen though. UW gets him for one more season. They should already be eying future candidates to replace him. Will Harris seems cool but he's not the guy.
  • DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

chuck said:

He gone soon

Yep, unless the defense were to really nose dive. It won't happen though. UW gets him for one more season. They should already be eying future candidates to replace him. Will Harris seems cool but he's not the guy.
    Kwat back to DC, Ikaika promoted to coDC Gerald Alexander to DB coach, Harris 86’d to hire a ST coach and/or OLB coach.
    We don’t get Alexander without offering him a co-DC. Harris is in the first trip to USCs new staff once clay gets fired. Ikaika gets a massive pay raise
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Domicillo said:

chuck said:

He gone soon

Kwat back to DC, Ikaika promoted to coDC Gerald Alexander to DB coach, Harris 86’d to hire a ST coach and/or OLB coach.
    We don’t get Alexander without offering him a co-DC. Harris is in the first trip to USCs new staff once clay gets fired. Ikaika gets a massive pay raise
    We can pay Alexander enough to get him without changing his title IMO. But I’m good with it either way.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,514
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I also feel strongly about the 2019 recruiting class, especially the pass-rush perking up down the road (Latu, Trice)

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,716
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Quite honestly I like how Kwat called the game better

I'm not here to bash Jimmy Lake so don't twist
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Me too.

Also a preemptive "lotta twisting going on out here".
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Domicillo said:

chuck said:

He gone soon

I wouldn't be surprised if Harris sticks around awhile longer to learn the ropes before heading to usc.

I also wouldnt be surprised if marques tries to come back to Washington and Cort too.
    animate said:

Domicillo said:

chuck said:

He gone soon

I wouldn't be surprised if Harris sticks around awhile longer to learn the ropes before heading to usc.

I also wouldnt be surprised if marques tries to come back to Washington and Cort too.
    IMO all three would want to be here for the foreseeable future assuming comparable offers/titles.

Harris of all people has to know what a dumpster fire SC is right now. He’ll
    End up there eventually but I doubt he wants to be the guy responsible for coaching this years DB class.
  • LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2019

He gone soon

Then you better pray to all things holy that UDUB doesn’t hire Gerald Alexander because he has one-upped Jimmy his entire career dating back to his days as a player.
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

animate said:

Domicillo said:

chuck said:

He gone soon

IMO all three would want to be here for the foreseeable future assuming comparable offers/titles.

Harris of all people has to know what a dumpster fire SC is right now. He’ll
    End up there eventually but I doubt he wants to be the guy responsible for coaching this years DB class.
    That and there is something about learning under the best DB recruiter and developer in the country while you have the chance.

Lake's calls allowed fewer points despite actually facing a non conference opponent.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I know we are super gay for Gerald Alexander but his recruiting at Cal has not been all that impressive.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

He gone soon

We’ll see. Assistant salaries have sky rocketed to the point that it’s a step back money wise for him to be a head coach at a non P-5 school.

Eventually he will leave, but it won’t be for anything but a good job. The good head coaching jobs are hard to get.