Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2019]

Comments

• Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I'm starting to get excited. The release next Saturday after all this edging will bring such relief.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

• Once beer and wine are available at concession stands, stop allowing re-entry into the stadium. Currently, thousands of fans stream into the parking lots to get in some extra tailgating before the third quarter starts, and that results in a bunch of empty seats at kickoff.

The more I think about it, this is exactly the opposite of what they should do. It got me thinking back to being a poor kid in middle school that would hang out until halftime of the varsity games and then enter the stadium, because it was free after then. The UW AD should turn the third quarter into Thunderdome. To be fair about bathroom/concession lines, etc., they should pick a time shortly after the start of the third quarter--say, ten minutes after the third quarter kickoff--to give people a fair amount of time to pinch it off and get back to their seats, and then pull a reverse-Stalin and open the gates. Free to enter after then, and any empty seat is fair game.

Up the concessions/souvenir game just outside the stadium to maximize profits from the poor/cheap/drunk people that hang out outside waiting for the floodgates to open. Give them something to do, give them screens to keep up on the action with.

Result: Instead of empty seats in the third, the stadium will suddenly fill up. And get louder. It's been scientifically proven that poorer/drunker people cheer the loudest. That's just a fact. This is totally a win-win. Far from costing the AD money, it would be net positive due to a slight increase in concessions sales to people without tickets. Crowds would be consistently big and loud throughout the game and convey the sense of a more passionate fan base.

And if people bitch about getting back from their tailgate to find their seat taken? Tough shit, pussy fan, go find some standing room on the terrace.
    Also they should play Jump Around at the end of the 3rd quarter.
    That's an excellent call. Can they find a place for "Are You Ready for This?" too?
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    Swaye's Wigwam

Is it just me and these margaritas but does Bush have the same mannerisms as Pete when asserting these questions
    Good catch. He has always been a Pete clone. Mannerisms, speech patterns to the T.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    proof said:

Hugh Millen on Softy pod (yeah, I know) talking about Skinny, eviscerated the upperclassman WRs from what he saw at scrimmages. Said if Fuller was at SC with PC, the younger guys would play over him. "He doesn't have it".

He got mad at them or?
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    proof said:

Hugh Millen on Softy pod (yeah, I know) talking about Skinny, eviscerated the upperclassman WRs from what he saw at scrimmages. Said if Fuller was at SC with PC, the younger guys would play over him. "He doesn't have it".

• Options
    proofproof Member Posts: 278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited August 2019

proof said:

He got mad at them or?
    More of a concern of the level of targets Eason has at his disposal. Concerned about people resting on their laurels (Coaches/WRs?). Just didn't expect him to name Fuller specifically and say he is a JAG. Other people can listen, but it seemed like he would like to see other people (younger guys) get more opportunities, because the current starters won't cut it for Eason.
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    dnc said:

proof said:

Next to racial crap Hugh’s specialty is blaming receivers to take the heat off QBs.
    So you're defending Opera Singer, Fuller, Pounds, and Chincredible over Hugh Roosevelt High Millen. Gotcha. Sounds like Doogman behavior just cause Cale shot an egg with Cristo. Sour nuts. Hugh's a Dawg and calls like it is and doesn't make apologies for the SmurfPease Corps.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Beno4Life said:

dnc said:

proof said:

Next to racial crap Hugh’s specialty is blaming receivers to take the heat off QBs.
    So you're defending Opera Singer, Fuller, Pounds, and Chincredible over Hugh Roosevelt High Millen. Gotcha. Sounds like Doogman behavior just cause Cale shot an egg with Cristo. Sour nuts. Hugh's a Dawg and calls like it is and doesn't make apologies for the SmurfPease Corps.
    No. I don't even like three fourths of those receivers.

I'm saying Hugh has a well documented history of throwing black receivers under the bus to defend white QB's.

He simply can't resist.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Beno4Life said:

dnc said:

proof said:

No. I don't even like three fourths of those receivers.

I'm saying Hugh has a well documented history of throwing black receivers under the bus to defend white QB's.

He simply can't resist.
    Story of his career
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    Caple's Depth Chart Breakdown for the offense is in the WAM:

Before UW releases its first depth chart of the season — which it likely will Monday, ahead of the Aug. 31 opener against Eastern Washington — we’re taking a shot at projecting what the starting lineups will look like (and provide a scholarship breakdown, as well). We begin with the offense, and a look at the players Eason will have around him as he takes the reins. The defense depth chart and scholarship breakdown will come Saturday.

Quarterback (4 on scholarship)
    Starter: Jacob Eason (Jr.)
    Backups: Jake Haener (Soph.), Jacob Sirmon (R-Fr.), Dylan Morris (Fr.)

Overview: It seems appropriate to begin by giving Haener his due. He had a strong spring and fall camp last season, seemingly put together another nice camp this year and knows Washington’s offense as well as anyone. He’s not shy about taking shots downfield, he has a stronger arm than you probably would assume and he’s popular among teammates. Coaches like him, too. For all of these reasons, it should be unsurprising that Petersen and offensive coordinator Bush Hamdan gave him a legitimate chance to win the starting job.

And it also should be unsurprising that Eason will take the field for Washington’s first offensive series against EWU.

The two battled gamely throughout spring and fall, alternating series with the No. 1 offense, and Thursday’s reports jibe with what I’ve been hearing, too. Petersen ultimately has to go with the player with the most upside, and that’s Eason, a former five-star recruit. He likely will need more time to get fully comfortable with UW’s playbook, but the hope is that his arm strength and physical tools (he’s 6 feet 6 and 227 pounds) will give the Huskies’ passing game a new, more explosive feel. Eason also threw fewer interceptions than Haener during practices open to the media, and mixed in a handful of impressive deep throws to UW’s receivers.

“I think he’s certainly more comfortable (than he was),” Hamdan said. “He’s really been two years removed from taking a bunch of reps and going through it. We think he’s doing a good job. Certainly, there are still some things here or there — getting more experience in this system, understanding what we call it. But we’re pleased with his progress.”

I don’t anticipate a dual-quarterback game plan. Everything about Petersen’s history tells us that if the Huskies are going with Eason, they’re going with Eason, just like they picked Jake Browning and stuck with him in 2015. Haener enters the season as the backup once more, with Sirmon the next option off the bench and Morris providing emergency depth.

Wide Receiver (12)
    Starters: Aaron Fuller (Sr.), Andre Baccellia (Sr.), Ty Jones (Jr.)
    Backups: Chico McClatcher (Sr.), Austin Osborne (R-Fr.), Quinten Pounds (Sr.), Puka Nacua (Fr.), Trey Lowe (R-Fr.), Jordan Chin (Jr.), Terrell Bynum (Soph.), Marquis Spiker (R-Fr.), Taj Davis (Fr.)

Overview: Jones’ availability depends on the strength of the wrist he injured during spring. He seemed to catch the ball OK during the five practices open to the media, so I’ll assume for now that he’ll be able to play. Fuller, the team’s leading receiver in 2018, looked strong and healthy during camp after missing spring because of an injury, and Baccellia looks like he’ll have his biggest role yet as a fifth-year senior.

I’m interested to see how much McClatcher plays, and would not be shocked if he starts. He’s been one of the stars of preseason camp, and is a speedy, shifty weapon with deep knowledge of the offense. This could be a bounce-back season for McClatcher in his final go-round.

Pounds looked healthier during camp than I expected. Osborne looks the best of the 2018 signees, though Lowe also made some nice plays during open practices and gives the Huskies another guy in the slot who can really run.

Nacua is the wild card. Petersen singled him out when asked about true freshmen standouts, and his talent as a pass-catcher is obvious. Will he make the depth chart? I don’t know. But I don’t think he’ll redshirt.

Tight Rnd (5)
    Starters: Hunter Bryant (Jr.) and Cade Otton (Soph.)
    Backups: Jacob Kizer (Jr.), Devin Culp (R-Fr.), Jack Westover (R-Fr. walk-on), Corey Luciano (Soph.)

Overview: I have a feeling Bryant and Otton are going to spend a lot of time together on the field this season, and not just because of Petersen’s proclivity for multiple-tight end sets. Bryant might be the most dynamic pass-catcher on the team, and Otton is versatile as a blocker and as a receiver.

Kizer began camp dealing with a back issue, and didn’t participate in any of the practices open to the media. Position coach Jordan Paopao said this week that Kizer “is getting a lot closer. It’s really a day-to-day progress. Every single day, we’re just trying to get him back out here as quickly as possible.” If Bryant and Otton can stay healthy, the Huskies should still have one of the best duos in the conference, but they could use Kizer sooner rather than later.

It seems as if Culp is going to have to play a bigger role out of the gate this season than some might have assumed. He stood out in a few of the practices open to media, establishing himself as a big, athletic target in the middle of the field. Westover, too, made a couple of really tough catches during open practices in the spring and fall. Paopao says Westover (6-3, 241) might have one of the highest vertical jumps on the team and that “Jack just continues to surprise me with his athleticism and his ball skills.”

Luciano moved from o-line to tight end for the start of camp, and gives the Huskies another big body to use as a blocker. True freshmen walk-ons Zeke Pelluer and Carson Smith round out the room.