Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Real thoughts if Wilcox is the next HC?

Any hope at all? Would you take 1-2 years of Wilcox test run over a Sark 5 year extension?

Comments

• Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    I like Wilcox a lot. The HC matters. Wilcox did a creditable job with SarkFS as the head man. He's good.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652

Any hope at all? Would you take 1-2 years of Wilcox test run over a Sark 5 year extension?

Without question.

We can do much better than Wilcox. Wilcox is still better than keeping Sark.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Either Wilcox works out to be better than Sark or Woodward gets himself fired.

UW was fucked until 2016 with Sark, so this scenario isn't any worse.

Win/Win
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Wilcox actually has a demeanor to him that is respectable. I don't see Wilcox after a mediocre win going "Wow what a cool week for the Washington Huskies man!"
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,378 Founders Club
    Agree with the above. Sark was never going to be great, so with WIlcox there is at least potential. I don't see how he could be worse than Frat Boy...as long as he hires a good OC...interesting to see if Sark tries to take the whole staff...

I know we all want someone proven, but I bet Wilcox is getting heavy play right now...might need to prepare for this...
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    Wilcox versus Sark

Pros
    Persona - Acts like a man
    Coordinator experience - Has coordinated with some success at multiple programs under multiple coaches. Also means UW can hire a real OC. Presumably means Sirmen gets promoted to DC which is scary, but still better than Sark at OC.
    Coaching network - Won't have to hire his good buddy Nick Holt because he doesn't know anyone else.
    Excuses - owen12 is forever retired from the doog excuse lexicon. I'm sure they'll invent something new, but we won't have to hear about acting like 0-12 never happened anymore.

Cons
    HC experience - Wilcox has none, Sark has mediocre experience.
    Recruiting - Sark's vastly overrated as a recruiter, but Wilcox has never been hyped as a strong recruiter by even the doogliest of doogs. There could be some dropoff. OTOH, he's not hated by instate coaches and recruits.
    Oregon potential - If things go well with Wilcox he could always leave for Oregon. Sark wants to coach here longer than Don James.

Wilcox should not be the next head coach. He's not a home run hire.

He's still an upgrade over Sark.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,968 Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm liking the posts in this thread. I was half afraid to open the board.

Wilcox with his defensive staff and a new offensive staff is better than Sarkisian and his staff. This would be an upgrade and minimize any impact to 2014-2015 recruiting (which I know I value more than many).

Is Wilcox the best HC hire they could make? Fuck no. A retard might think so but I'm a half notch above that. A football success obsessed AD would get a proven head coach with his own coaching tree. Our AD is not obsessed with football greatness. Wilcox is a safe move that eliminates the possibility of the AD completely fucking this up. There's a chance he could be great, very high odds that he will be a slight upgrade, and very little chance of him being a disaster.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    who says Wilcox and Tosh don't go with him?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    Wilcox is fine as a fall back hire. If the bigger names turn you down he'll work. And as DNC has pointed out 0-12 is dead. Wilcox will be cheap and have expectations.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031