Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Steward Mandel: Is Chris Petersen a Disappointment?

Question was asked in Stewart Mandel's mailbag about whether Chris Petersen has been a disappointment. Here is a snippet:

With his Boise State coaching record and the ability to recruit at a Power 5 school, I figured the Huskies would be CFP-bound every year. I realize he has won two Pac-12 championships, but he is getting drubbed in his bowls. Any thoughts on his mysterious loss of football acumen?

Mandel's Response

I do think Washington underachieved this season. The Huskies had a talented enough defense to make a run at a Playoff berth, but their offense just never came together, save for the fourth quarter of the Rose Bowl. For all his achievements, four-year QB Jake Browning did not seem to improve over the second half of his career. So while reaching Pasadena for the first time since 2000 was no minor milestone, there’s certainly reason for Washington fans to feel like the program missed an opportunity.

All that being said, let me pose a question that Bruce Feldman recently asked me on the podcast: With Urban Meyer now retired, the sport’s top two coaches are unquestionably Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney. How many other coaches in the sport would you definitively put ahead of Petersen for No. 3? I’m guessing it’s a short, short list — if it’s a list at all. Washington is in good hands, and I’m fascinated to see the Jacob Eason era unfold next season.

Wam Bam Swaye Love Clam

Comments