Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What I Think I Think: The Power of Bad Coaching

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
edited January 2019 in Hardcore Husky Board
Boy, this loss comes down to a bunch of stuff. I agree with so much of what has been written, and argued already.

- It took us until the 4th quarter to finally ride Gaskin and Black Beast and finally figure out what works. Why do adjustments take us so long to figure out?
- Browning will always suck, but he did just enough to win last night. Sure, some bonehead plays, and he didn't help us in a huge way, but that loss is not completely on Shitsox. Now, a real QB and we are right in the thick of it, with a much better chance to win, but Brownsox didn't LOSE the game for us, which is his ceiling.
- It's been cool having no pass rush the last 20 or so games, but wouldn't it be fun to maybe switch that up and actually try to get a pass rush?
- etc. etc. etc.

Here's the thing though, for all the shit I just mentioned and could have mentioned but didn't, that game was lost headed into halftime. We had under two minutes to play, deep in our own end, and Ohio State had two timeouts. All we had to do was run Gaskin three in a row (we were not fucking scoring there give me a break), force Ohio State to blow their timeouts and punt it back to them with under 45 seconds left and no timeouts. Instead we throw a couple of incomplete passes, some of the worst situational game management and clock management I have ever seen, and proceed to gift them a TD right before half. If you take that away we win the game. Sure, had the score been 14-3 at half Ohio State might have played the second half differently, and the result may have been the same, but that boneheaded piece of coaching gave them 7 free points, and put us in a hole that was too big to dig out of.

We physically kicked their asses in the 4th quarter. I honestly believe we win that game without many of the poor coaching decisions. Did Ohio State out athlete us? You bet they did. Would it have been easier to win with 10 more blue chip type players in our lineup? Sure.gif. But the point here is our scrappy little team of overachievers damn near won it anyway, and could have, with better in game coaching from both an adjustment and situational awareness perspective. Our players need to get better for sure, but this loss is 70% coaching and 30% athletes to me. That game was there for the taking, had we not spotted them another TD before the half. I will be furious about that for years. Goddamnit Peterman.

Our glorious run has yielded two Pac-12 Championships in the weakest Pac-12 of my lifetime, and 3 straight NY6 Bowl losses. So, nothing anyone will ever remember. Thanks Peterman. I was told you were the guy who pulled wins out of your ass against superior teams in huge bowl games? That was a lie evidently. You are just an overpaid loser until you aren't. FUCK OFF.

Comments