Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Class Tracker

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
Courtesy of @HuskyClaws

TYFYS

I can never find this motherfucker when I need it so it's getting pinned. Pinned threads are like lot lizards at the Enumclaw Truck Stop. Everywhere.

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I unpinned this and added the tracker to the Welcome to the bored OP.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,966
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    this looks great
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Why the green and yellow? Was this made by UW Marketing? #GoDucks #SwooshLife

PM to @HuskyClaws can you do something about the colors?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Why is Judas still on the board
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,463
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Why the green and yellow? Was this made by UW Marketing? #GoDucks #SwooshLife

PM to @HuskyClaws can you do something about the colors?

Greens appear to be 4-5 star players. Yellows are 3s. That's my guess anyway.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,463
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Please to be removing Asa Turner. He gone.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited January 2019
    Thing to keep in mind is that when you are playing Bama and Clemson, they are at well over 50% ...

So while getting to 50% definitely puts UW in a position to be in the CFP discussion (and definitely well above what anybody in the P12 will be at besides USC), it's almost a guarantee that we're still going to be punching above our weight class in the games against Bama and Clemson.

But that's ok in my mind because to get to that National Championship Level, we need to climb the following ladder:

1) Establish ourselves as the premier team in the P12

2) Put self in position to be a perennial NY6 and CFP contender

3) Consistently get into the CFP

4) Win games in the CFP

5) Win National Title

How are we progressing in this regard?

1) Won 2 of the last 3 P12 titles and won/shared the P12 North in 2 of the last 3 years. The 2 games (minimum) over the next 2 years with USC will be HUGE for us in regard to driving home the point to SoCal recruits that if you want to stay on the West Coast and win at a high level, the place is UW. Win those games, continue the trending in the North/P12 and get to 5 straight outright and/or shared P12 North Titles and 4 of 5 P12 titles. That's a decided trend for any West Coast Elite kid to look in the face.

2) 3 straight trips to the NY6 Bowls is working in the right direction and a berth in the CFP also is in the right direction. The negative on this side is that we've yet to win a game in this setting.

3) A 50% or greater entry into the CFP is probably the realistic high-end goal - we're obviously behind the pace here but this is a forward looking goal in my mind that will become more achievable as the talent continues to uptick.

4) Obviouisly haven't done this.

5) Obviously haven't done this

Let's be very clear here, winning a National Championship is hard. We've shared the '91 title and if you start getting creative you can start including '60, '84, etc. So any expectation of winning more than 1-2 over the next 10-15 years is the definition of aspirational. Not saying it isn't possible, but if that is a standard being used to define success that's most likely going to set you up for failure.

The realistic expectations to me with respect to these goals are as follows:

1) Play for the P12 Title 4 out of 5 years and win 50% of the matchups against USC and 100% against anybody else

2) Be in a NY6 Bowl 4 out of every 5 years (half as P12 Champion and remaining as an at-large selection being in the Top 10)

3) Be in the CFP 2-3x in a rolling 5 year period

4) Win 1 out of 3 games in the CFP against Alabama or Clemson (in the current world); Win 50% against anybody else

5) Win 1 out of 2 games in the CFP Title Game

Just doing the math, that's going to put 1-2 National Titles over the next 10-15 years as a real high level of achievement.
  • Options
    GOATGOAT Member Posts: 177
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

If we keep Turner add Heimuli and Totototo and Nacua...

I believe that brings us up to 46 blue chips. Time for some maff.

Let's assume Murphy is gone. Rapp is obviously gone. Bryant declaring won't effect this.

Next year we'll have 4 blue chip seniors (Adams, Wellington, Potato, and Roberts).

We'll have 11 blue chip juniors (Eason, Jones, McGrew, Ahmed, Bryant, Watty, Gilchrist, Levi, Taylor, Molden, McKinney).

We'll have 3 blue chip sophomores (Bynum, Bain, Ngata). Low due to redshirts.

We'll have 12 blue chip redshirt freshmen (Sirmon, Yankoff, Osborne, Spiker, Lowe, Mele, Bynum, Tuli, Taimani, Jackson Sirmon, Gordon, Irvin).

That's 30 blue chips.

Our incoming recruiting class currently has 12:
    Morris, Davis, Kalepo, Buelow, Paama, Bandes, Tuitele, Latu, Calvert, KamFab, McDuffie, Williams).

That puts us at 42 blue chips on the roster. 43 clears the 50% ratio that every champion has had.

Let's do our best case hypothetical. Turner, Heimuli, To'oto'o, Nacua.

Our incoming class has 16 (!) blue chips in that case and 46 on the roster.

That would put us at about 54 percent on our blue chip ratio -- smack dab in between Oklahoma and Texas this year.

Of course, we're not getting all four.

We might end up with two of those guys. Let's say Turner sticks and we end with Heimuli and Patterson.

That's 44 blue chips and puts us at 51.7 percent. Right in front of Notre Dame and right behind PSU and Oklahoma.

In what I think is the worst case, where we only get Heimuli, we're at 43 blue chips and 50.6 percent, which is essentially the same as Notre Dame.

The 50% blue chip ratio is a prerequisite for winning a national championship. Bud Elliott tracked it back to 2005 at least, and 2004 USC and 2003 LSU were almost definitely there as well considering it's Saban and Meyer we are talking about.

Auburn 2010 (maybe 50%, maybe not, data got messed up) may not have been but Cam Newton was their QB.

Clemson was low in 2016 but had Deshaun Watson.

It seems an elite QB is worth about 10% in the ratio.

There were only 13 teams with that ratio this year, and 4 of those teams made the playoff.

If we want to win a national championship, we are now finally in the region where teams have won recently.

And that's not even considering non-blue chip guys who were either underrated or are/will be big contributors:

Hampton, Fautanu, Tuputala, Curne, Bowman, Tryon, M Bryant, Otton, Culp.

Yes there will obviously be issues still with depth because of some shitty recruiting but the talent is now there.

This is a GOOD post. We may have the talent currently on the roster but a lot of that talent won’t be seeing the field because they’re too young.

Over the last 3 years we’ve only had 3 impact true freshman, averaging one per year. Rapp, Bryant, and to a lesser extent Ahmed. Harris started and Fuller played a lot but I’m not counting them as impact freshman bc they were less than Jags at the time.

I really don’t know who from the 2019 class could be impact TF. Most of the best players are on the line where it’s the hardest to contribute early. My early guesses would be Calvert, Latu, and Heimuli if we get him.
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    GOAT said:

If we keep Turner add Heimuli and Totototo and Nacua...

I believe that brings us up to 46 blue chips. Time for some maff.

Let's assume Murphy is gone. Rapp is obviously gone. Bryant declaring won't effect this.

Next year we'll have 4 blue chip seniors (Adams, Wellington, Potato, and Roberts).

We'll have 11 blue chip juniors (Eason, Jones, McGrew, Ahmed, Bryant, Watty, Gilchrist, Levi, Taylor, Molden, McKinney).

We'll have 3 blue chip sophomores (Bynum, Bain, Ngata). Low due to redshirts.

We'll have 12 blue chip redshirt freshmen (Sirmon, Yankoff, Osborne, Spiker, Lowe, Mele, Bynum, Tuli, Taimani, Jackson Sirmon, Gordon, Irvin).

That's 30 blue chips.

Our incoming recruiting class currently has 12:
    Morris, Davis, Kalepo, Buelow, Paama, Bandes, Tuitele, Latu, Calvert, KamFab, McDuffie, Williams).

That puts us at 42 blue chips on the roster. 43 clears the 50% ratio that every champion has had.

Let's do our best case hypothetical. Turner, Heimuli, To'oto'o, Nacua.

Our incoming class has 16 (!) blue chips in that case and 46 on the roster.

That would put us at about 54 percent on our blue chip ratio -- smack dab in between Oklahoma and Texas this year.

Of course, we're not getting all four.

We might end up with two of those guys. Let's say Turner sticks and we end with Heimuli and Patterson.

That's 44 blue chips and puts us at 51.7 percent. Right in front of Notre Dame and right behind PSU and Oklahoma.

In what I think is the worst case, where we only get Heimuli, we're at 43 blue chips and 50.6 percent, which is essentially the same as Notre Dame.

The 50% blue chip ratio is a prerequisite for winning a national championship. Bud Elliott tracked it back to 2005 at least, and 2004 USC and 2003 LSU were almost definitely there as well considering it's Saban and Meyer we are talking about.

Auburn 2010 (maybe 50%, maybe not, data got messed up) may not have been but Cam Newton was their QB.

Clemson was low in 2016 but had Deshaun Watson.

It seems an elite QB is worth about 10% in the ratio.

There were only 13 teams with that ratio this year, and 4 of those teams made the playoff.

If we want to win a national championship, we are now finally in the region where teams have won recently.

And that's not even considering non-blue chip guys who were either underrated or are/will be big contributors:

Hampton, Fautanu, Tuputala, Curne, Bowman, Tryon, M Bryant, Otton, Culp.

Yes there will obviously be issues still with depth because of some shitty recruiting but the talent is now there.

This is a GOOD post. We may have the talent currently on the roster but a lot of that talent won’t be seeing the field because they’re too young.

Over the last 3 years we’ve only had 3 impact true freshman, averaging one per year. Rapp, Bryant, and to a lesser extent Ahmed. Harris started and Fuller played a lot but I’m not counting them as impact freshman bc they were less than Jags at the time.

I really don’t know who from the 2019 class could be impact TF. Most of the best players are on the line where it’s the hardest to contribute early. My early guesses would be Calvert, Latu, and Heimuli if we get him.
    Tuitele and Latu, Turner if he sticks
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    Standard Supporter
    On D, the opportunity is there for some TF to get into the 2 deeps at every level of the D. Tuitele, Latu, and Trice were all offered by 'Bama. Bandes was offered by Clemson. Chances are only 1 of them plays (if any at all), maybe Latu or Trice if they are too good of a pass-rusher to redshirt.

ILB isn't super deep. Calvert has a chance to play, so does Heimuli if he pops. Tafisi and maybe Sirmon are taking off their redshirts so we'll have to see how they are in spring ball. Keep an eye on this LB, if not for a scholly, at least ST: https://gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7012

McDuffie is a favorite of mine so would love to see him in 2019. Turner will obviously play if he sticks.

I don't see any TF playing on offense. Everything is stacked there and we don't have a 5 star RB coming in.