Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Timu Hit

Was that targeting call on Timu a legit penalty? I didn't really get a good look at it during the game since they only showed a couple quick replays in the stadium. Initially it just looked like he led with his shoulder and the receiver dropped down into the hit. I'm just wondering if the TV broadcast had any good replays/angles. I'm not trying to harp on refs or anything here, just legitimately wondering whether or not it was the correct call.

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    looked like the right call to me
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    It was a penalty but that hit was fucking awesome.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    It was textbook targeting:
    Targeting and Initiating Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)

No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 2-27-14)

I was STUNNED when the replay booth let him stay in the game.
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    I saw his head snap back, but I thought he made contact shoulder-to-shoulder.
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986

It was textbook targeting:
    Targeting and Initiating Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)

No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 2-27-14)

I was SHOCKED when the replay booth let him stay in the game.

Were you offended to?

Scarves up, Brah. It was clearly uncalled for.

Christ
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,968 Swaye's Wigwam
    The rule sucks. It's the ball carrier's actions that create the infraction more often than not. If he gets lower than the defender there's a chance of contact above the shoulder pads. For the defender to ensure he stays below the ball carrier he has to put his head down, increasing the odds of: 1) missing the tackle, or 2) hitting the guy somewhere with the crown of the helmet. Timu did everything right...kept his head up and turned his shoulder into the hit. He was unlucky as the receiver got about 3" too low and the contact was square on his neck/head. Clear infraction but it's still bull shit.

It was also correct that they didn't eject him since they're judging intent to make that decision. His intent was obviously to hit him in the shoulder.
    chuck said:

The rule sucks. It's the ball carrier's actions that create the infraction more often than not. If he gets lower than the defender there's a chance of contact above the shoulder pads. For the defender to ensure he stays below the ball carrier he has to put his head down, increasing the odds of: 1) missing the tackle, or 2) hitting the guy somewhere with the crown of the helmet. Timu did everything right...kept his head up and turned his shoulder into the hit. He was unlucky as the receiver got about 3" too low and the contact was square on his neck/head. Clear infraction but it's still bull shit.

It was also correct that they didn't eject him since they're judging intent to make that decision. His intent was obviously to hit him in the shoulder.

Intent has NOTHING to do with the way the targeting ejection rule is written. That ejection should have been confirmed, not overturned, but Pac-12 refs like to make their own rules.

chuck said:

Intent has NOTHING to do with the way the targeting ejection rule is written. That ejection should have been confirmed, not overturned, but Pac-12 refs like to make their own rules.
    I was talking about how they are making the decision, not how the rule is written. I haven't seen a ton of them this year, but on the ones I've seen, the ejection should have been upheld every time based on the rule. It's obvious the refs are deciding based on intent and not just in the Pac-12.
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I was talking about how they are making the decision, not how the rule is written. I haven't seen a ton of them this year, but on the ones I've seen, the ejection should have been upheld every time based on the rule. It's obvious the refs are deciding based on intent and not just in the Pac-12.
    I've seen several overturns where the contact did not meet the definition of the targeting foul.

That overturn yesterday was only the second incorrect overturn I've seen all year.

chuck said:

chuck said:

I've seen several overturns where the contact did not meet the definition of the targeting foul.

That overturn yesterday was only the second incorrect overturn I've seen all year.
    You're probably right but what does this have to do with Emma Watson? Fuck you for wrecking my train of thought.
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

You're probably right but what does this have to do with Emma Watson? Fuck you for wrecking my train of thought.