Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Ex-Huskies TE Rod Jones dies by suicide at 54

2»

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,465 Founders Club

animate said:

Swaye said:

That blows. RIP.

Too soon?

But yeah ... CTE is a bitch ... like Aaron.
    How do we automatically know it's CTE? I know several people who are depressed or have mental issues and they never played football.
    Would you bet against it?
    I probably would.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,465 Founders Club

animate said:

Swaye said:

That blows. RIP.

Too soon?

How do we automatically know it's CTE? I know several people who are depressed or have mental issues and they never played football.
    It’s real, but a lot of these guys just have no identity at all other than playing ball. Their whole life was built around it and you can’t play forever.
    I didn't deny its existence, but it has become a knee jerk reaction to automatically assume that it is at the root of all issues for former players. if Jones played 10 years in the league I would feel more inclined to assume it.
  • LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,477 Founders Club
    That sucks - RIP.

Not saying I think it is CTE or not, but he shot himself in the head, which might complicate the findings and there’s an outside shot that it means he just plain killed himself (not CTE related). Seau and Duerson shot themselves in the chest because they knew that they wanted their brains studied — he didn’t. But he might not have been concerned about anyone studying his brain either way.

Any way you look at it, it sucks.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

animate said:

Swaye said:

That blows. RIP.

Too soon?

It’s real, but a lot of these guys just have no identity at all other than playing ball. Their whole life was built around it and you can’t play forever.
    I didn't deny its existence, but it has become a knee jerk reaction to automatically assume that it is at the root of all issues for former players. if Jones played 10 years in the league I would feel more inclined to assume it.
    Completely agree.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,952 Founders Club

animate said:

Swaye said:

That blows. RIP.

Too soon?

CTE can start much earlier than that.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    PurpleJ said:

animate said:

Swaye said:

That blows. RIP.

Too soon?

CTE can start much earlier than that.
    Correct.

And most of the damage is done in practices, not games.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    He just couldn’t bear to watch the Dawgs get plungered in the Rose Bowel.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

He just couldn’t bear to watch the Dawgs get plungered in the Rose Bowel.

In that case ex Beavers are safe forever.
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    edited December 2018
    Derek is right. It is just trendy now to blame everything on head trauma. People have been blowing their brains out for as long as guns have been invented due to depression and alcohol. I know somebody like that, and he never played a fucking down of football. He's been dead for 15 years.