Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What Happened to Jake Locker? (Why He REALLY Retired Early..Its Not What You Think)

124»

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,701
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Washington has had quarterbacks enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame (Warren Moon) and the College Football Hall of Fame (Don Heinrich and Bob Schloredt). It has had quarterbacks start Super Bowls (Chris Chandler), win multiple Super Bowl rings (spoiler) and be named Pro Bowl MVP (Mark Brunell)
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Had to go to school during his era. He came back to play ball at our then loser school instead of being drafted after already coming to our then loser school in the first place. Was not surprised at all by his early retirement. Dude always did what he thought was right for him regardless of what anyone else said.

Objectively, I recognize he wasn't a great QB. My doog heart will always love the guy for picking UW as the home town team and then winning us a shitty Holiday Bowl after the dark dark years.

I get that. What I don't get is why there isn't even a fraction of the same appreciation for Isiah Stanback, who was arguably the best pure athlete to play football at UW (or in the Pac 12).
    RAYYYCCCISM CREEP!!!1!
  • Options

I’d rather drink myself to death than find religion. The bottom of the bottle may be dry but at least it’s free of charlatans and hypocrites.

Browning was better than Locker. And much tougher.

Please tell us more about how atheist you are
    I have a philosophy degree. I could go on for days but unless you are a priest or a Buddhist monk I lose most people around hour 3. Hour 5 the priest usually converts to agnosticism and wants to lick my luscious taint to change the subject. The monks last a while longer. But they all end up a’lickin’.

Protestants generally drop in the first 10 minutes. No ecclesiastical underpinnings, just sweet baby Jesus in a manger. Kinda sad.

Twatcone.
    This is why philosophy professors and majors suck. Idc about the atheist part.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    No picture of Jake kissing his Mom?
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Washington has had quarterbacks enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame (Warren Moon) and the College Football Hall of Fame (Don Heinrich and Bob Schloredt). It has had quarterbacks start Super Bowls (Chris Chandler), win multiple Super Bowl rings (spoiler) and be named Pro Bowl MVP (Mark Brunell)

Why do you hate

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,301
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Stanback has a Super Bowl ring even if it wasn't as a QB. Is there any other UW QB other than Brunell that has one?

The answer will shock you

Damon Huard was signed by the Cincinnati Bengals as an undrafted free agent in 1996, and played twelve seasons in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, and Kansas City Chiefs. While with the Patriots, he won two Super Bowl rings.
    I knew you would have the answer for me. Definitely wooshed myself on Huard. Moon never won a ring and I think I'm too young to know the other guys. Did you go to school during their era?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,701
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Stanback has a Super Bowl ring even if it wasn't as a QB. Is there any other UW QB other than Brunell that has one?

The answer will shock you

Damon Huard was signed by the Cincinnati Bengals as an undrafted free agent in 1996, and played twelve seasons in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, and Kansas City Chiefs. While with the Patriots, he won two Super Bowl rings.
    I knew you would have the answer for me. Definitely wooshed myself on Huard. Moon never won a ring and I think I'm too young to know the other guys. Did you go to school during their era?
    I started UW winter of 1975 along with a new coach we called Don James. Moon was the QB. They all played at least a minute in the NFL. Pueller, Chandler, Millen, Conklin etc
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,588
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Had to go to school during his era. He came back to play ball at our then loser school instead of being drafted after already coming to our then loser school in the first place. Was not surprised at all by his early retirement. Dude always did what he thought was right for him regardless of what anyone else said.

Objectively, I recognize he wasn't a great QB. My doog heart will always love the guy for picking UW as the home town team and then winning us a shitty Holiday Bowl after the dark dark years.

I get that. What I don't get is why there isn't even a fraction of the same appreciation for Isiah Stanback, who was arguably the best pure athlete to play football at UW (or in the Pac 12).
    You're talking a guy who was a four year starter versus a guy who was a two year starter. A guy who had hype as the #1 pick in the draft but spurned that to come back for another year versus a guy who was a 4th round pick at a different position. A guy whose first game was the stuff doog dreams were made of versus a guy whose first game was a blowout home loss to Fresno State in which he completed 20% of his passes and threw a pick six AND had a fumble returned for a TD.

You really surprised one of these guys has a much bigger fanbase than the other? Really?

Stanback was a talented kid who played under completely shittastic coaching staffs. But other than throwing an incredible Hail Mary to end the first half at Arizona did he have any real memorable moments? Did he ever make anyone believe he was taking UW anywhere?

Jake had Heisman hype and first round hype and every other kind of hype. Most of it was dumb, but it was hope at a time when UW fans were starved for it. IS never generated that kind of hype, or that kind of hope.
    I remember when he destroyed his foot. Very memorable moment.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    haie said:

You're talking a guy who was a four year starter versus a guy who was a two year starter. A guy who had hype as the #1 pick in the draft but spurned that to come back for another year versus a guy who was a 4th round pick at a different position. A guy whose first game was the stuff doog dreams were made of versus a guy whose first game was a blowout home loss to Fresno State in which he completed 20% of his passes and threw a pick six AND had a fumble returned for a TD.

You really surprised one of these guys has a much bigger fanbase than the other? Really?

Stanback was a talented kid who played under completely shittastic coaching staffs. But other than throwing an incredible Hail Mary to end the first half at Arizona did he have any real memorable moments? Did he ever make anyone believe he was taking UW anywhere?

Jake had Heisman hype and first round hype and every other kind of hype. Most of it was dumb, but it was hope at a time when UW fans were starved for it. IS never generated that kind of hype, or that kind of hope.
    That's really my point.

A lot of what made Jake popular (and I think there were other things) was the potential and the "Great Athlete" stuff. But he couldn't throw the 15 yd. out. I remember watching him and his coaching staff try against SC like 10 times and he couldn't throw it. So Stanback had some limitations, and so did Jake.

But Stanback played in a very tuff era of Husky football, could also have gone elsewhere, also had a legitimate option to play baseball, and was an unbelievable talent. He also got hurt, but games played isn't the test because Jake had all that hype coming in and would still be a doog legend even if he'd suffered Stanback's injury. Stanback also played WR and played special teams.

Fine, give Locker the edge. I just never thought the differences between them were that huge, in the "one's great, one's mediocre" sense of the point. They were both very exciting players with a ton of upside that was never realized. Stanback had some great moments and games for Washington beyond that pass to Chambers. You're short-changing him.

We're talking about the difference between one who is a deity around Montlake, and one who is rare even mentioned.
    Locker was God on campus because since high school every coach in Washington claimed he would be elite in the NFL.

Then he showed some rare viking athleticism in that Syracuse showcase game.

He became revered among students and fans to a level even he didn't feel comfortable with. Just something to get excited about in a shit era.

Edit: oh, you said a lot of this in your original post that I only read half of. Students and fans of the era have more respect for Stanback than you think, but Jake was such a legend from high school. I remember getting my shit pushed in in the playoffs against Ferndale while my dads talked about how much Jake could bench and how demigod his chest was. Was definitely a doog fuckfest from the beginning of his career.

This.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

Fuck this debate again! Stanback didn't pop off in the Holiday Bowl, plus Jake was a much more exciting runner.
    Love 'em both!
    Oh, sorry. I didn't realize "but Holiday Bowl". That makes everything perfectly clear now.

I know. Just some joke on joke love Doogles. Come on. Don't go @StrongArmCobra on me now. I count on you.
  • Options

I met Stanback on campus while working on the row boathouse. I was really thrilled and I am old as has been previously reported

I'm the guy that saw his film at the recruiting banquet and compared him to Elway. He was always my choice to start. Dawgman posters were borderline racist in their treatment of him

Watch A Football Life on Doug Williams. Michael Wilbon is saying its the mid 80's people and the idea of a Black QB was controversial. Think about that. Jimmy the Greek called him a choker before the 87 playoffs that ended in a SB win so I'm glad that fat fuck got fired

Stanback needed help and coaching. He came out of Garfield before Joey Thomas was there as one of the great coaches of our lifetime

Leave IS alone and fuck Locker and Ty

No shit?
  • Options

RAYYYCCCISM CREEP!!!1!
    A little late to the thread Back. Come on now. Pay attention. We know it was raysissm.
  • Options

I’d rather drink myself to death than find religion. The bottom of the bottle may be dry but at least it’s free of charlatans and hypocrites.

I have a philosophy degree. I could go on for days but unless you are a priest or a Buddhist monk I lose most people around hour 3. Hour 5 the priest usually converts to agnosticism and wants to lick my luscious taint to change the subject. The monks last a while longer. But they all end up a’lickin’.

Protestants generally drop in the first 10 minutes. No ecclesiastical underpinnings, just sweet baby Jesus in a manger. Kinda sad.

Twatcone.
    Hurtful.

What's that? 5 posts in a row? i'm on fire.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,301
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Twatcone.
    Hurtful.

But yeah he's a fucking idiot.
  • Options
    Locker fucking sucked lol.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

I remember when he destroyed his foot. Very memorable moment.
    I was one of like 4 retards left in Husky Stadium during that shit game. Rainy and windy and ended in a Dwag loss.