Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Best UW secondary of all time?

Last offseason I was called an idiot for saying this years secondary could be even better than 2016's. I'm not sure they ended up better but fuck you if you can't see they were fucking close.

Jimmy Lake the GOAT.

Comments

• DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    Best secondary of all time will be replaced each of the next 3 seasons.

Taylor
    Molden
    McKinney
    Hampton
    Gordon
    Irvin
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    edited December 2018
    I think the DL play was significantly better in 2016, this unit might just as good, they just played behind a worse DL. The 2016 DL does not get enough credit, it was a solid unit. Dare I say best UW DL unit of my lifetime
  • ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    edited December 2018

I still think 2016 is better BUT Byron Murphy is the GOAT out of all of them.

Byron has had his share of highlight reel plays but Kev and Budda were more complete players. Both of those guys were way more impactful in the run game than Byron. In terms of pure coverage/ball skills I can see the argument for Byron but I would give the nod to Kev or Budda overall. Budda in particular was an animal in run coverage and was a very effective blitzer.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    Major point in 2018's favor: The D's given up 2.2 less points per game than 2016 did despite having a far inferior front 6/7 and a rookie play caller.

I still think 2016 is better BUT Byron Murphy is the GOAT out of all of them.

Byron has had his share of highlight reel plays but Kev and Budda were more complete players. Both of those guys were way more impactful in the run game than Byron. In terms of pure coverage/ball skills I can see the argument for Byron but I would give the nod to Kev or Budda overall. Budda in particular was an animal in run coverage and was a very effective blitzer.
    If Budda had ball skills he'd be the choice, but he did not.

Give me Murphy.
  • RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527

I think you have to consider how much having an actual pass rush helped the 2016 secondary. I love those guys with all my heart but I think they had a much easier task than the 2018 secondary did.

Both were great.

It helps explain the lack of ints and sometimes suspect third and long play this year. Zone coverage seems way less soft when you can generate pressure with just 3 or 4 lineman.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    Obvs ‘91 secondary was amazing too. But I just wanna put in a plug for the Purple Reign secondary: Vestee Jackson, JC Pearson, Ron Milus, Tim Peoples, Darryl Hall, Jimmy Rodgers, etc. Those guys were savages.
    TTJ said:

Obvs ‘91 secondary was amazing too. But I just wanna put in a plug for the Purple Reign secondary: Vestee Jackson, JC Pearson, Ron Milus, Tim Peoples, Darryl Hall, Jimmy Rodgers, etc. Those guys were savages.

excellent point
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,853
    Yes

All down hill from here
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,584
    edited December 2018
    Best (Stanford) secondary of my lifetime