Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Spring QB competiton

One of my biggest criticisms of Sark last year was that he did NOTHING to prepare any QB behind Price even when it was painfully obvious Keith needed to be benched. I hope Sark is serious about spreading reps around this spring, but I'm not confident he will actually make the decision to take the starting position from a 5th year senior, despite what he says.

http://seattletimes.com/html/huskyfootball/2020485426_huskyfootball05.html

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Why the fuck are you blaming Price for the shit tier protection he received?

Price didn't need benched...he needed to be protected.

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,182
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Shotgun.....3 wides....Price scrambles and chucks it out of bounds.

Sark's nose is buried in his play sheet and missed the whole damn thing.

2013...Catch The Fever!
  • Options
    Shotgun + 3 WRs + one Mississippi pass protection = Best Playcaller in America.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,964
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    hey -- the kids played hard!
  • Options
    DisplacedDawgDisplacedDawg Member Posts: 42
    Photogenic First Comment 5 Up Votes

I don't disagree the protection was shit, but even when he had time, he was indecisive and off target. One series at UA last year stood out to me. ASJ came open across the middle, Price looked at him, pumped, and pulled the ball down, only to throw it to him once the LB moved into coverage.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Price's regression last year is solely on Sark. Doogs who blame Price where talking about Sarks genius with Price a year ago (Price outplayed RGIII). Can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic

I don't disagree the protection was shit, but even when he had time, he was indecisive and off target. One series at UA last year stood out to me. ASJ came open across the middle, Price looked at him, pumped, and pulled the ball down, only to throw it to him once the LB moved into coverage.
    Price was especially awful in the bowl game. In the second half, the OL thoroughly outplayed Boise's DL. Sankey was gashing them and Price had plenty of time to throw yet constantly missed wide open targets.

The OL actually was better as the season went on while Price got worse. Rather than take what you have and find a suitable plan (which is what Wilcox does), Sark tried to force Price to do things his way, rather than making him comfortable and working from there.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,857
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Price was especially awful in the bowl game. In the second half, the OL thoroughly outplayed Boise's DL. Sankey was gashing them and Price had plenty of time to throw yet constantly missed wide open targets.

The OL actually was better as the season went on while Price got worse. Rather than take what you have and find a suitable plan (which is what Wilcox does), Sark tried to force Price to do things his way, rather than making him comfortable and working from there.
    That may be true but the early season beatings that Price took wore him down. He was like a battered spouse who flinched everytime he saw a blitz package.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,964
    Founders Club

That may be true but the early season beatings that Price took wore him down. He was like a battered spouse who flinched everytime he saw a blitz package four man front.
    fixed that for you.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

That may be true but the early season beatings that Price took wore him down. He was like a battered spouse who flinched everytime he saw a blitz package.
    Which is exactly why DisplacedDawg is right, Price needed to be benched. Sure it was the OL's fault that Price got to that point, but it was painfully obvious he couldn't do the job. Not having anyone to insert in his place was another failure at the top.

• Options

Which is exactly why DisplacedDawg is right, Price needed to be benched. Sure it was the OL's fault that Price got to that point, but it was painfully obvious he couldn't do the job. Not having anyone to insert in his place was another failure at the top.

Option 1: Give Price the protection any QB needs to succeed by leaving in extra blockers to compensate for the weak pass blocking from the OL.

Option 2: Recruit/develop/play some guys that can actually pass block.

Option 3: Put a rookie QB in there to get annihilated.

Yeah...Option 3 is clearly the best option here...
  • Options

Option 1: Give Price the protection any QB needs to succeed by leaving in extra blockers to compensate for the weak pass blocking from the OL.

You're missing the poont. By the end of the year the pass protection was not special, but was decent. They patchworked together a respectable line. The problem was Price was still so shell shocked it didn't make a difference.

His performance in the Boise game was terrible.

Obviously fixing the line is more important going forward, and play calling has a lot to do with that. But we still need a QB who can pull the trigger and throw the ball towards a receiver, and there's a real possibility Keith Price is too mentally shattered to ever be that guy again, whether the line gets fixed or not.

I like how you think these things are somehow mutually exclusive. They're not.

• Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

You're missing the poont. By the end of the year the pass protection was not special, but was decent. They patchworked together a respectable line. The problem was Price was still so shell shocked it didn't make a difference.

His performance in the Boise game was terrible.

I was at the bowl game (yes, I hate money). From my vantage point it looked like most of the problems in the passing game that day was a result of Kasen and ASJ not getting open. Both those guys are good pass catchers, but they don't have the speed to get any separation. I'm not sure how much you guys could see on TV, but there was hardly anyone open. That's why Sark was a fuckwad for not running the ball more.

I think Price really missed Kearse and Aguilar. Mickens wasn't good enough last year to keep defenses from ganging up on Kasen and ASJ.

Face it. The passing game last year was totally broken. It's all Sark's fault. But I'd say 75% of the problems were with having an OL that couldn't pass block...15% of it is not having enough WRs that can get separation, and the last 10% was Keith playing shittier.
  • Options

I'm not saying put a rookie in there to get annihilated, but Price had no freaking mobility. At least give someone with healthy legs some game experience to prepare them for the future. Instead, we still have no experience behind Price. Besides, all of these kids are "rookies" at some point in their college careers and there are countless examples of young or inexperienced QBs coming in and playing well. Let's face it, there were times last season when it couldn't have gotten much worse.
  • Options
    I totally concede that it is possible that Price is mentally shot. I can't prove or disprove that. Likewise, we can't prove that replacing Price would have improved the situation at all.

I can prove that his pass protection was still shitty though:

Washington was 102nd nationally out of 120 full member FBS schools last year in sacks allowed (2.92 per game). Washington was only 49th out of those 120 in pass attempts.

In the last four games, UW allowed 3 sacks to Utah, 2 to Colorado, 3 to WSU, and 4 to Boise Trucking Institute.

Based on this objective metric, the pass protection was still terrible at the end of the season. It's a shame the NCAA doesn't keep hurry and knockdown numbers to give us the true picture of OL pass protection, but based on the data available UW was just as bad at the end of the season at it as they were in the rest of the season.
  • Options
    No doubt. Even from a subjective standpoint, it was clear the line was much more comfortable and productive run blocking than they were pass blocking. And clearly, there are several elements of the offense that need to be addressed. My initial point was that Sark needs to be willing to take the job from Price if he is not physically or mentally able to lead this team, and I wonder if Sark's past as a QB causes him to stick stubbornly with a player that is not performing well for whatever reason. Sark needs to be a HC when it comes to making those sorts of decisions and not just a former QB. Time for him to do that, in my opinion.
  • Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    There was no viable backup. Did anyone see Derek Brown against Portland St? He'd be a better OL than QB.

One huge mistake Sark made was having Mickens as the #3 guy instead of Cody Bruns who would have been a reliable possession guy and safety valve for Price.

In the bowl game Price couldn't see jack shit...he missed ASJ wide open in the middle which was the play right before the FG. Would have been a TD. Also he missed Kasen on the pick at the end. Kasen was open on a comeback route.

Sark did a shitty job managing and coaching Price throughout the season. We all know Nuss was the real brains behind Price's initial development.
  • Options

No doubt. Even from a subjective standpoint, it was clear the line was much more comfortable and productive run blocking than they were pass blocking. And clearly, there are several elements of the offense that need to be addressed. My initial point was that Sark needs to be willing to take the job from Price if he is not physically or mentally able to lead this team, and I wonder if Sark's past as a QB causes him to stick stubbornly with a player that is not performing well for whatever reason. Sark needs to be a HC when it comes to making those sorts of decisions and not just a former QB. Time for him to do that, in my opinion.

Sark should be willing to take the job from Price, but if he needs to do so...it's time to hand in his resignation.
  • Options
    I was begging for a spellcheck there.
  • Options

I was begging for a lemondrop there.