Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

CP...Deja Vu all over again

Comments

• insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    Also the miss at Boise State in 2015. The only GW FG we've had under Pete was the Utah game last year where neither team had any timeouts left and Tristan had basically no time to even think about it.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    Not to go all @GrandpaSankey, but that kick looked good.
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,470
    I remember watching this game in disbelief. If you had to name one Achilles heel during Chris Petersen's career, it has to be field goal kicking. Petersen would have 3 more undefeated seasons had his kickers been more accurate/clutch. Other examples I found:

- 2017 @ ASU: Van Soderberg missed FGs of 27 and 21 yards; make those 2 and it's a tie game
    - 2015 @ BSU: Cameron Van Winkle's 46-yard game-tying FG attempt with 21 seconds left was wide right (insinceredawg mentioned this game in his comment above)
    - 2014 @ UA: Cameron Van Winkle's early 43-yard FG attempt for the Huskies bounced off the right upright and was no good; would've won by 2 had he made it
    - 2013 @ SDSU: Dan Goodale missed the game-winning 43-yard FG as time expired in regulation; BSU lost in OT
    - 2011 v TCU: Dan Goodale's 39-yard kick sailed wide right as time expired to give Horned Frogs a 36-35 victory; FG would've given BSU the win and an undefeated season
    - 2010 @ Nevada: Kyle Brotzman missed a 26-yard FG with 2 seconds left in regulation and another from 29 yards in overtime; either FG would've given BSU the win and an undefeated season (Seen in the video above)
    - 2008 n TCU: Kyle Brotzman missed an early 38-yard attempt that would've proven to be the winner and given BSU an undefeated season

• insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    digits said:

I remember watching this game in disbelief. If you had to name one Achilles heel during Chris Petersen's career, it has to be field goal kicking. Petersen would have 3 more undefeated seasons had his kickers been more accurate/clutch. Other examples I found:

- 2017 @ ASU: Van Soderberg missed FGs of 27 and 21 yards; make those 2 and it's a tie game
    - 2015 @ BSU: Cameron Van Winkle's 46-yard game-tying FG attempt with 21 seconds left was wide right (insinceredawg mentioned this game in his comment above)
    - 2014 @ UA: Cameron Van Winkle's early 43-yard FG attempt for the Huskies bounced off the right upright and was no good; would've won by 2 had he made it
    - 2013 @ SDSU: Dan Goodale missed the game-winning 43-yard FG as time expired in regulation; BSU lost in OT
    - 2011 v TCU: Dan Goodale's 39-yard kick sailed wide right as time expired to give Horned Frogs a 36-35 victory; FG would've given BSU the win and an undefeated season
    - 2010 @ Nevada: Kyle Brotzman missed a 26-yard FG with 2 seconds left in regulation and another from 29 yards in overtime; either FG would've given BSU the win and an undefeated season (Seen in the video above)
    - 2008 n TCU: Kyle Brotzman missed an early 38-yard attempt that would've proven to be the winner and given BSU an undefeated season

Wow, I knew he's had a few losses due to missed FGs but didn't realize it was that extensive. And after all this, he STILL decided to trust a freshman walk-on from 37 yards?!? God damn it Pete, I love you but you baffle me sometimes with your process bullshit.
  • no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 761
    How hard is it to recruit a good kicker? They have one fucking job. Saban has had similar issues, but CP ain't nick and at least Alabama has so much talent and skill elsewhere they typically get away with it. https://www.theringer.com/2018/9/14/17860824/alabama-crimson-tide-kicking-problems-nick-saban Also, pretty sure Saban goes for touchdowns instead of FGs.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,344 Swaye's Wigwam
    no_uh said:

How hard is it to recruit a good kicker? They have one fucking job. Saban has had similar issues, but CP ain't nick and at least Alabama has so much talent and skill elsewhere they typically get away with it. https://www.theringer.com/2018/9/14/17860824/alabama-crimson-tide-kicking-problems-nick-saban Also, pretty sure Saban goes for touchdowns instead of FGs.

Yes....but linemen miss blocks all the time and the guy starts two inches from his face.
  • BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    edited October 2018
    This confirms what I read elsewhere a couple of years ago. At Boise State, it was known that Petersen had FG kicking issues. This is something he has not fixed on his move from there to Washington.

The thing is, he is the position coach for the kicking unit, both there and here. So he is to blame as the HC, and as the position coach.

Can he bring in a kicking game consultant? This is a serious question, and almost warrants its own thread. Find one of the best FG kickers of all time at the college or Pro level, and bring his ass here to consult on our kicking issues.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,853
    Finding a decent fg kicker seems like a 5/10 of difficulty

The one that really bugs me is finding a kickoff kicker than can kick it out the back of the endzone 80+ percent of the time.
    Pick any soccer player off the team and give them two weeks of practice.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    Baphomet said:

This confirms what I read elsewhere a couple of years ago. At Boise State, it was known that Petersen had FG kicking issues. This is something he has not fixed on his move from there to Washington.

The thing is, he is the position coach for the kicking unit, both there and here. So he is to blame as the HC, and as the position coach.

Can he bring in a kicking game consultant? This is a serious question, and almost warrants its own thread. Find one of the best FG kickers of all time at the college or Pro level, and bring his ass here to consult on our kicking issues.

What's Michael Braunstein up to nowadays?
  • Wombat_GuernicaWombat_Guernica Member Posts: 126
    You only mention the times they missed!!!111!!!!1!!
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

Not to go all @GrandpaSankey, but that kick looked good.

Yeah I have no idea how that was ruled a miss
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,470
    Baphomet said:

Pretty sure the only position Petersen coaches is punt returners:

"Petersen and Pettis have grown close over the past three seasons. The only position Petersen personally coaches is those returners, and he’s studied the art of the punt return enough that he has developed a set of guidelines — guidelines he considers proprietary and doesn’t want to make public." - Seattle Times; 11.3.16

SPECIAL TEAMS COORD. Gregory handles kicking.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    Like I posted on Sunday the deja vu was the 2011 loss to TCU.

In that game CP faced 3rd and 5 from the 20 with 20 seconds left and a timeout. He elected to center the ball for his freshman kicker instead of running another play.
  • BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    digits said:

Baphomet said:

Pretty sure the only position Petersen coaches is punt returners:

"Petersen and Pettis have grown close over the past three seasons. The only position Petersen personally coaches is those returners, and he’s studied the art of the punt return enough that he has developed a set of guidelines — guidelines he considers proprietary and doesn’t want to make public." - Seattle Times; 11.3.16

SPECIAL TEAMS COORD. Gregory handles kicking.
    Okay, this for setting me straight.

But still I wonder if we can find a FG kicking game consultant to fix our FG kicking issues.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    I've posted this a few times, but there are no dedicated kicking coaches on any staff. There are two kicking camps every year, one in Atlanta, one in LA. 90+% of the kicking talent in the country doesn't attend these.

Whoever performs the best at these gets scholarship offers. That's seriously how lazy the process it.

Maldonado who never any point in his life had the leg to kick a 40 yard field goal finished first at the LA camp. Oregon's current kicker Stack can get a 40 yarder about three feet over the bar if he hits it perfectly, but he usually just pulls it trying to kick too hard.

As an example at the last program I coached at we had a 15 year old kid that could put the ball into the back of the end zone about 85% of the time on kickoff. Almost zero chance he ever ends up kicking in college. I had a punter in K Falls, Oregon that was averaging 13 more yards a kick than Oregon's punter at the time. That kid is on meth now.

There are 25+ kids in King County that would smoke your current kicker and probably 5 or 6 in Lane County that are better than Stack. None of them will kick in college.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,569 Founders Club
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

NOC

Sweet. Have fun going 9-3 every year.