Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Special Teams has been an absolute disaster

Going by some advance metrics, here's our ratings for all 3 phases

Offense:
S&P+: 26th
FPI: 12th

Defense:
S&P+: 9th
FPI: 25th

Special Teams:
S&P+: 123rd
FPI: 88th

Overall:
S&P+: 9th
FPI: 11th

The offense and defense are probably about maxed out based on the current talent level. Special teams on the other hand has been an absolute disaster. That's not just the kicking game either.

Going further into the Special Teams rating...
Kickoff Yards: 99th (59.88 avg)
Kickoff Returns: 75th (20.25 avg)
Opponent Kickoff Returns: 76th (21.28 avg)
Punt Returns: 108th (5.08 avg)
Opponent Punt Returns: 108th (13.15 avg)
FG%: 75th (66.2%)

We are bad in literally every single Special Teams category.

There is no way that Gregory should have a job next year (or tomorrow for that matter).

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,502 Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah I remember in the Auburn game it seemed they had the ball at their 35 every possession.

Gregory did coach Pettis, but how much of that is actually coaching?

Those are damning team stats
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,473

Yeah I remember in the Auburn game it seemed they had the ball at their 35 every possession.

Gregory is the Special Teams coach, but Petersen coaches the punt returners:

"Petersen and Pettis have grown close over the past three seasons. The only position Petersen personally coaches is those returners, and he’s studied the art of the punt return enough that he has developed a set of guidelines — guidelines he considers proprietary and doesn’t want to make public." - Seattle Times; 11.3.16
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    digits said:

Gregory is the Special Teams coach, but Petersen coaches the punt returners:

"Petersen and Pettis have grown close over the past three seasons. The only position Petersen personally coaches is those returners, and he’s studied the art of the punt return enough that he has developed a set of guidelines — guidelines he considers proprietary and doesn’t want to make public." - Seattle Times; 11.3.16
    Which is the least of our ST problems. Yeah they could be a lot better, but our coverage teams are far and away the biggest culprit. There’s no excuse for the amount of drives opponents have started past the 30 against us. Gregory needed to be door.ass.out several yesterdays ago, when his unit almost cost us the UCLA game.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    Im hearing from tequila college kickers are bad and Danny O'Neill is high on Henry.

Not sure if anyone remembers Henry's performance at UCLA.
  • PhDoogPhDoog Member Posts: 22
    Look at the bright side. Our QB Kneel has been perfect this year, If you consider that special teams we are good at something.

Also, we really need brownings pooch punt to put the special back on special teams.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    PhDoog said:

Look at the bright side. Our QB Kneel has been perfect this year, If you consider that special teams we are good at something.

Also, we really need brownings pooch punt to put the special back on special teams.

Don't forget Jake backpedaling against UCLA to run clock
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,952 Founders Club
    So nothing special?
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

Punt Returns: 108th (5.08 avg)
    Opponent Punt Returns: 108th (13.15 avg)

All of this is bad, but getting out punt returned by over 8 yards per return is disastrous.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    as was the case with the seahawks when they were great, special teams performance is largely dictated by overall roster talent, specifically LBers tho.

All this tells me is that we are not that talented, which is a major problem in year 5.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    dhdawg said:

as was the case with the seahawks when they were great, special teams performance is largely dictated by overall roster talent, specifically LBers tho.

All this tells me is that we are not that talented, which is a major problem in year 5.

We used to have special team aces. Bierria was a fucking stud on kick coverage. Same for Turner and Joyner. It's really simple. Run, avoid blocks, stay in your lanes, and tackle.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    I been saying for years that bob needs to go, pretty sure race agreed with me so did pup shortly after
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,853

I been saying for years that bob needs to go, pretty sure race agreed with me so did pup shortly after

So he must stay