Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Some Chris Petersen digits

digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,470
• Record Versus Ranked Opponents: *** 8-13; 38 Win % ***
- 9.27.14; v Stanford (16); 20-13; L
- 10.18.14; @ 0regon (9); 45-20; L
- 10.25.14; v ASU (14); 24-10; L
- 11.8.14; v UCLA (18); 44-30; L
- 11.15.14; @ UA (14); 27-26; L
- 9.4.15; @ BSU (23); 16-13; L
- 10.8.15; @ USC (17); 17-12; W
- 10.24.15; @ Stanford (10); 31-14; L
- 11.7.15; v Utah (12); 34-23; L
- 11.27.15; WSU (20); 45-10; W
- 9.30.16; v Stanford (7); 44-6; W
- 10.29.16; @ Utah (17); 31-24; W
- 11.12.16; v USC (20); 26-13; L
- 11.25.16; WSU (23); 45-17; W
- 12.2.16; Colorado (8); 41-10; W
- 12.31.16; Bama (1); 24-7; L
- 11.25.17; v WSU (13); 41-14; W
- 12.30.17; n Penn State (9); 35-28; L
- 9.1.18; n Auburn (9); 21-16; L
- 9.29.18; v BYU (20); 35-7; W
- 10.13.18; @ 0regon (17); 30-27; L

Notes: Win versus highest-ranked opponent= Stanford (7); loss versus lowest-ranked opponent= BSU (23); if it weren't for beating 3 ranked WSU teams, record would be 5-16; 23 Win %; with Browning under Center, UW is 8-8; 50 Win % versus ranked opponents

• Games Decided by 3 Points or Less: *** 2-3; 40 Win % ***
- 8.30.14; @ Hawai'i; 17-16; W
- 11.15.14; @ Arizona; 27-26; L
- 9.4.15; @ Boise St; 16-13; L
- 11.18.17; v Utah; 33-30; W
- 10.13.18; @ 0regon (17); 30-27; L

Notes: Of these games decided by 3 points or less, only win that could be considered "quality" is Utah; with Browning under Center, UW is 1-2; 33 Win % in games decided by 3 points or less

Comments

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,711 Swaye's Wigwam
    Did you do a multivariate analysis and adjust for confounding variables?
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    You forgot to quantify that, "it's hard."

The PAC-12 is TUFF.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter
    That’s disturbing
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Chris Petersen is a good coach. He isn't a great coach.

How there is still so much argument about this is crazy.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,502 Swaye's Wigwam
    If we still have these problems with a new QB it will be damning. Peters biggest fault is his stubborness with his offense and his QB. If Eason or Haener or anyone else is still checking in to fade routes at the goal line, then fire Pete
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    Going Owen 5 the first year doesn't help.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    6-5 in the last three years. Still not great but much better than 8-13. If that trend line can keep going up with a new QB we'll be fine.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    Mosster47 said:

Petersen is a great underdog school coach.

He's a good to great high-end school coach but consistently great remains to be seen.

We'll see in 3-4 years if he can shed any more of his underdog tendencies that hold him or the program back from running with the big dogs full time.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    animate said:

Mosster47 said:

Petersen is a great underdog school coach.

He's a good to great high-end school coach but consistently great remains to be seen.

We'll see in 3-4 years if he can shed any more of his underdog tendencies that hold him or the program back from running with the big dogs full time.
    I'm hearing 2021 will be special.
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,470
    Going back to his time @ Boise St.:

• Record Versus Ranked Opponents: ***8-4; 67 Win %***
    - 1.1.07; n Oklahoma (7); 43-42; W
    - 11.23.07; @ Hawai'i (15); 39-27; L
    - 9.20.08; @ 0regon (17); 37-32; W
    - 12.23.08; n TCU (11); 17-16; L
    - 9.3.09; v 0regon (16); 19-8; W
    - 1.4.10; n TCU (4); 17-10; W
    - 9.6.10; n Va Tech (10); 33-30; W
    - 9.25.10; v OSU (24); 37-24; W
    - 11.26.10; @ Nevada (19); 34-31; L
    - 12.22.10; n Utah (19); 26-3; W
    - 9.3.11; n Georgia (19); 35-21; W
    - 8.31.12; MSU (13); 17-13; L

Notes: Win versus highest-ranked opponent= TCU (4); loss versus lowest-ranked opponent= Nevada (19); Petersen won with an unranked BSU team @ 17th ranked 0regon in his 3rd season as head coach, yet in his 5th season with UW ranked #7, was unable to accomplish the same feat; 3-0 versus Pac-12 (Utah joined in 2011)
  • MariotaTheGawdMariotaTheGawd Member Posts: 1,441

The issue is is how hard, it is hard, how hard it is to get the guy that wins the 10 games a year you are supposed to win so he is even in position to lose the 2 or 3 games a year that become big games

Seven win Sark. 5 win Ty. 2 win Gilby

So we got the guy that can win the 10. But he is really concerning on the big game, close game, road game win o meter.

I'll say it again, finishing out the season is harder than it looks. Shaw, Leach, Cristobal, and Petersen are in the battle to the end to win the league

At this point that is what is left on the table

Bobby Bowden would lose one game a year forever. The one game he needed to win a championship. But as he said, he won a lot of little ones to make those games big

It's hard guys

Little early to be drinking, no?
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,584
    Mosster47 said:

I think CP is a great coach. However, with how he recruits, his ceiling will always be capped at what he's been so far at Washington. He needs the UW version of Happy Kuykendahl to get him to go all Nick Nolte in Blue Chips.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,977

The issue is is how hard, it is hard, how hard it is to get the guy that wins the 10 games a year you are supposed to win so he is even in position to lose the 2 or 3 games a year that become big games

So we got the guy that can win the 10. But he is really concerning on the big game, close game, road game win o meter.

I'll say it again, finishing out the season is harder than it looks. Shaw, Leach, Cristobal, and Petersen are in the battle to the end to win the league

Bobby Bowden would lose one game a year forever. The one game he needed to win a championship. But as he said, he won a lot of little ones to make those games big

It's hard guys

MIAMUH Dang Nab It!!!!!

Oh, how I miss those days.

#sorry@roaddawg

#miamiisirrelevant

#sorryagain
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,571 Founders Club

It's hard guys

MIAMUH Dang Nab It!!!!!

#sorry@roaddawg

#miamiisirrelevant

#sorryagain

ntxduck said:

Mosster47 said:

I think CP is a great coach. However, with how he recruits, his ceiling will always be capped at what he's been so far at Washington. He needs the UW version of Happy Kuykendahl to get him to go all Nick Nolte in Blue Chips.
    He's better than good, maybe less than great, if Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are the definition of great.

Maybe he does OKG too much; I have no idea if that's true, because I've never been in a meeting with him and his team discussing a kid who is alpha who wants to be at Washington and heard him say, "yeah, but he's not OKG, so hard pass."

I know he has that rep, but I don't know to what extent it is actually driving things.

It's hard guys

MIAMUH Dang Nab It!!!!!

#sorry@roaddawg

#miamiisirrelevant

#sorryagain

I was just telling somebody how cool and astute you are.

You just wrecked all that. Thanks!

#miamiisirrelevant

#sorryagainforbringingthemup
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    ntxduck said:

Mosster47 said:

He needs to upgrade his staff with better recruiters. We ain't winning it all recruiting in the 15-20 range.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    ntxduck said:

Mosster47 said:

Right. So he is a good coach.

Neon Bodeaux and Butch McRae ain't walking through that door any time soon. Ricky Roe would be allowed to though, because of white.