Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Compare and Contrast: Todd Graham and Sark

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
edited November 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
I think ASU got themselves a winner. Graham is a guy we should have hired in 2008. He doesn't seem to agree with Sark about penalties. This destroys another doog myth that all Pac 12 teams are heavily penalized.

Nowhere has their improvement under Graham been more dramatic than in the area of discipline. Arizona State went from last in the nation in 2011 with 1,037 penalty yards to ninth with just 454 in '12, his first season. This year, the Sun Devils have given up just 302 yards in penalties, the fourth-fewest in the FBS. To get his team to cut down on infractions, Graham gave his players the what and the why.

The what: "I talked to our players, 'Do you know the mechanics of how the seven-man crew officiate a game, who's looking at what?'" Graham said. "They didn't have a clue."

So Graham brought in officials to talk to his players, and he put his own spin on the lesson. He broke the meetings down by position groups, having the different refs of a game crew meet with the players they most closely observe. "The umpire, he sits in the offensive line room and he goes through [with] the guys what constitutes a chop block, what is he looking for [when he calls] holding on a perimeter run, what's he looking for [when he calls] holding on a pass play," Graham said.

The why: "Our fans, they actually pay money to watch you play, and you should represent their values with how they want you to play," Graham said he told his team. "Fans don't like 15-yard penalties."

But besides playing smart for the fans, Graham wanted to drive the message home that penalties were costing Arizona State on the scoreboard. The Sun Devils could gain an advantage, he told them, by fully grasping the rulebook and how it's enforced. "If you and I are playing backgammon, and I know the rules and you don't, I'm going to beat you."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131122/todd-graham-arizona-state/#ixzz2lQmyLPtL

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Seems rather fundamental and elementary to me ...

I've always thought that one of the easiest ways to gain an advantage on your opponent is to know more than he does and how to make the rules work to your advantage.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    wait til he gets his own guys in there... then he'll implode while rubbing people the wrong way.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Graham may be a great coach but he's never built anything and ASU is a very senior-laden team. They could lose 8 starters on defense and 5 on offense including Grice. If he has a great year next year then he's a great coach. I think they'll fall back quite a bit.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,650
    edited November 2013
    The jury is out on whether Graham is a great coach or not, but, much like Mora, I don't think it's too early to declare him a very good coach. He's done too many things well too often.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    Mad_Son said:

In 2008 I emailed Todd Graham asking him to coach the Huskies. Apparently my lack of authority was a turn off to him.

Did you send him a cake on his birthday?

Graham may be a great coach but he's never built anything and ASU is a very senior-laden team. They could lose 8 starters on defense and 5 on offense including Grice. If he has a great year next year then he's a great coach. I think they'll fall back quite a bit.

ASU is likely the biggest sleeping giant in the PAC.

It doesn't take a lot to build a team when you have the environment ASU provides.

Just like Washington can make a below average coach .500
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    edited November 2013
    Dennis Erickson left Todd Graham more NFL talent than the 13 NFL kids Ty left Sark
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,174
    topdawgnc said:

Mad_Son said:

In 2008 I emailed Todd Graham asking him to coach the Huskies. Apparently my lack of authority was a turn off to him.

Did you send him a cake on his birthday?
    Thankfully no. I have no idea if Graham is a cake or a pie guy and I'd hate to botch another coach's recruitment that way...
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    topdawgnc said:

It doesn't take a lot to build a team when you have the environment ASU provides.

People have been saying that about ASU forever. Talent in Arizona is improving and if ASU could dominate in-state recruiting, they would be a top 15 program. However, historically the best players all leave the state and thats the problem. Because of that they rely on JC's and thats why ASU has been very inconsistent year to year. If Graham has a good year next year he'll get better offers.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,065 Standard Supporter
    edited November 2013
    I don't think he is leaving ASU. Maybe for a big Texas school like AtM or Texas but his wife seems like the one that encouraged the last coaching move as she is from ASU. Or so the message boards have said.

topdawgnc said:

People have been saying that about ASU forever. Talent in Arizona is improving and if ASU could dominate in-state recruiting, they would be a top 15 program. However, historically the best players all leave the state and thats the problem. Because of that they rely on JC's and thats why ASU has been very inconsistent year to year. If Graham has a good year next year he'll get better offers.
    I will grant you ASU is a feeder school for bigger gigs.

With ASU's AD going to Texas ... and Mack Brown being on the ropes ...

I just praise Allah Don James never had to face a resurgent ASU.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,130 Founders Club
    Blayen said:

Did you include the $4 million bucks Sven's $20 with your email? That might have done it.

This is brutal. I wanted Graham back then. Instead we got stuck with a pancake in a visor

• beelzebubbeelzebub Member Posts: 361
    Graham is and will always be a scumbag, he's taking kstates route to success which means they will be good everytime halley's comet comes around
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,065 Standard Supporter
    I think most good coaches are scum bags. He has never been anywhere long enough to see if he can be elite. But he improves the schools where he goes.
  • DeLarryDeLarry Member Posts: 230
    Caring about whether or not your coach is a scumbag is what got us Ty.

I could give a fuck if he's a scumbag. Be a scumbag in Pasadena on January 1, and it's fine by me.