Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Petersen Special Ed Teams cost shutout

Petersen needs to relinquish coaching special teams. Why the fuck can't he recruit a reliable place kicker and use a scholarship? Because he still acts like he is coaching in the fucking Mountain West where a couple trick plays per game compensated for the lack of attention to special teams? Doesn't cut in a power 5 conference. Not even close. I'm pissed to miss the shutout for a muffed fair catch punt return. By Chico? WTF? And this lost the opportunity for Haener and backups to get more reps. Does Petersen understand what it will take to get to, and win, in the CFP? Will he grow up, or has he too risen to his level of incompetence?

Comments

• HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

Petersen needs to relinquish coaching special teams. Why the fuck can't he recruit a reliable place kicker and use a scholarship? Because he still acts like he is coaching in the fucking Mountain West where a couple trick plays per game compensated for the lack of attention to special teams? Doesn't cut in a power 5 conference. Not even close. I'm pissed to miss the shutout for a muffed fair catch punt return. By Chico? WTF? And this lost the opportunity for Haener and backups to get more reps. Does Petersen understand what it will take to get to, and win, in the CFP? Will he grow up, or has he too risen to his level of incompetence?

He's used plenty of scholarships on kickers. Way too damn many.

I thought he had high quality ST at Boise?
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    What a strange thing to bitch about. Henry sucked tonight, and our kickers prior to him were obviously shit. But I don’t see how Pete being heavily involved in ST has influenced that at all.
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650

What a strange thing to bitch about. Henry sucked tonight, and our kickers prior to him were obviously shit. But I don’t see how Pete being heavily involved in ST has influenced that at all.

The inference, especially when compared to the Dawgfather, is the inattention to this important area. IMO it is Petersen's Achilles heal and an indication he has not embraced the realities of playing in a Power 5 conference. Petersen has put one QB into the NFL, but not a place kicker. James had several. And Power 5 conference/CFP games are more often determined by special teams play, especially place kicking, than by trick plays, which was how he pulled off the big upsets in bowel games while at Boise St. He needs to grow up his balls to the new reality.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

The inference, especially when compared to the Dawgfather, is the inattention to this important area. IMO it is Petersen's Achilles heal and an indication he has not embraced the realities of playing in a Power 5 conference. Petersen has put one QB into the NFL, but not a place kicker. James had several. And Power 5 conference/CFP games are more often determined by special teams play, especially place kicking, than by trick plays, which was how he pulled off the big upsets in bowel games while at Boise St. He needs to grow up his balls to the new reality.
    Huh? One of Petersen’s most well known features as a head coach is his attention and emphasis on special teams. And by and large, they have been a strength of his teams. This year’s ST unit has been oddly mediocre, and the kickers for the last couple years now have been steaming trash. I’m not going to pretend to know whether it’s a scouting or development issue that’s caused our kicking woes, but to claim that Pete hasn’t paid attention to special teams is a bizarre, and wrong, take.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club

Fuckin spot on. Henry's kicks have actually been getting in the endzone more, but now where back to pucker and pray on his fg's

I was surprised after our last td, the #1 offense minus Myles went back out there for one final series where Henry banged the cross bar on what was essentially an extra point kick, and #1 defensive back 4 were still in there with 6 minutes left.

Pete and the coaching staff seem slow to want to yank the #1's when the game is over. Not only do you save wear/tear on the starters, the risk of injury standing on the sidelines plummets compared to out on the field, but when the back-ups get in there and make mistakes (which is what happens) you have teaching moments, but your doing it with the score now 35-7 instead of doing it in a game when it still matters.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,424 Founders Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de4kYT8d0aY

Someone missed a field goal. This means he had bad ST play for 7 years at Boise?

Seems like it might be a little too small of a sample.
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member Posts: 2,911

Put the home brew down sir.
  • LuxrayBeatsLuxrayBeats Member Posts: 91
    It was shameful. Offense and defense were very respectable but then we shit the bed on special teams... We haven't had a complete game in all three phases yet.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110

That still looks good to me.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter

Oh shit, I forgot how close that was. Great game regardless.

Completely agree