Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to Real Duck Fans

BreadBread Member Posts: 3,982
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Do you actually think your coaches run game strategy is to only get 3-5 yards a play and are actively scheme against generating the explosive run plays Oregon fans used to expect?

Are you happy with this plan?

I ask because Duckies all over twitter are praising Cristobal for trying to get 3-5 yards a run instead of going for a TD every play. They tell me 5 yards is as good as a TD with this scheme.

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited September 2018
    What's killed Oregon in recent years has been getting behind the chains. Even when Chip was behind the helm, whenever the Ducks ran up to a superior defensive line, they would often run into 3rd and long situations. This happened against Ohio St. in the Rose Bowl, Auburn in the Title game, LSU, and sometimes Stanford. Teams are better at stopping the spread rushing attack in today's game, so Oregon is adjusting to a power rushing attack, which limits the home run capability, but creates a higher percentage of positive plays. This generates more 3 and 4 or less situations than the 3 and 9 or more situations they've been plagued with before. With a shitty QB it doesn't matter much, but with Herbert, those 3rd and short to manageable downs have a high percentage of conversion.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Bread said:

Do you actually think your coaches run game strategy is to only get 3-5 yards a play and are actively scheme against generating the explosive run plays Oregon fans used to expect?

Are you happy with this plan?

I ask because Duckies all over twitter are praising Cristobal for trying to get 3-5 yards a run instead of going for a TD every play. They tell me 5 yards is as good as a TD with this scheme.

Yes. The ZR scheme of the previous regimes would gash the shit out of poorly coached or under manned teams, but as soon as they played a team with equal or more talent that was well coach any positive yardage seemed like a miracle.

To suggest explosive runs in the new offense won't happen is foolish as CJ had a big one against Stanford. I was ready for us to switch to a more power based ground game as soon as Chip left, but better late than never. This new system is much more sustainable and translates much better outside of the Pac-12.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,817
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

What's killed Oregon in recent years has been getting behind the chains. Even when Chip was behind the helm, whenever the Ducks ran up to a superior defensive line, they would often run into 3rd and long situations. This happened against Ohio St. in the Rose Bowl, Auburn in the Title game, LSU, and sometimes Stanford. Teams are better at stopping the spread rushing attack in today's game, so Oregon is adjusting to a power rushing attack, which limits the home run capability, but creates a higher percentage of positive plays. This generates more 3 and 4 or less situations than the 3 and 9 or more situations they've been plagued with before. With a shitty QB it doesn't matter much, but with Herbert, those 3rd and short to manageable downs have a high percentage of conversion.

You sure you don't want to wait for the Cal game before making a conclusion?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @greenblood gave a good answer

Both Hubert and Abbott Costello will give the DAWGS problems on third down. Costello already did last year
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Both Hubert and Abbott Costello will give the DAWGS problems on third down. Costello already did last year

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not. If not thanks. If you are...fuck off. I hate what this board has done to me.
    When @RaceBannon uses Dawg in ALL CAPS, he's not playing around. Trust me.

Cook it.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    White man speak with crooked tongue but I was serious Clark
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,099
    The only real duck here is @AZDuck
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not. If not thanks. If you are...fuck off. I hate what this board has done to me.
    Motto?
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Motto?
    Ever since I joined Hardcore Husky, I've lost my job pumping gas and my Quook wife to someone who hadn't lost their porking lot permissions for fraternizing with Doogs. Now I have an unrespectable job in marketing and one of those poodle hybrid dogs.

What have I done with my life?
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,982

Motto?
    Ever since I joined Hardcore Husky, I've lost my job pumping gas and my Quook wife to someone who hadn't lost their porking lot permissions for fraternizing with Doogs. Now I have an unrespectable job in marketing and one of those poodle hybrid dogs.

What have I done with my life?
    You are almost to 1000 posts. That's quite an accomplishment.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Mad_Son said:

The only actual duck here is @AZDuck