Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

No pass rush

Defense looks great overall. But we? have no pass rush. Imagine if we could actually pressure the fucking QB...

Comments

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Swaye said:

Potatoe is pretty damn good at setting an edge and support against the run, but a total turd when it comes to heat from the edge.

He got a handful of jersey, and someone whiffed on a blitz (Bryant?). I think that was the highlight reel of our pass rush last night.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685

Swaye said:

Potatoe is pretty damn good at setting an edge and support against the run, but a total turd when it comes to heat from the edge.

He got a handful of jersey, and someone whiffed on a blitz (Bryant?). I think that was the highlight reel of our pass rush last night.
    Manny Wilkins got the defense to show their hand pre-snap, on quite a few passing downs. Looked like a simple hard count...
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    MisterEm said:

Swaye said:

Manny Wilkins got the defense to show their hand pre-snap, on quite a few passing downs. Looked like a simple hard count...
    I hadn't thought of this because I am dumb but HRYK
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685

Rapp is our best pass rusher but he was lining up 20 yards off the LOS all game

53 seconds-ing myself, but these safety and CB blitzes you speak of, were EXACTLY what Manny manipulated at the LOS with snap counts.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622

Defense looks great overall. But we? have no pass rush. Imagine if we could actually pressure the fucking QB...

We push up the middle and heat from the edge.
    Brilliant.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Passion said:

Brilliant.
    It’s The Formula
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,543 Founders Club

Passion said:

Brilliant.
    It’s The Formula
    You invented it

Passion said:

Brilliant.
    It’s The Formula
    You invented it
    I also invented the internet, and trees.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Obviously they would like Benning to get to the QB more, but you can tell we are trying to contain QBs like crazy. So, Bennings job is to compress the pocket #1.

That's a bit different than just being asked to get to the QB (which is what Bowman tries to do, but also why he doesn't play as much - because he can't compress the pocket).

I think what we'd ultimately like to see is Benning compress the pocket then grab the QB by the back of the jersey and throw him down.

Honestly, I think that's coming. He's obviously not a natural pass rusher, but I think he's getting better and better... and he's still just 4 games into his junior year. My hope is that by the end of this year he will be able to compress the pocket, keep contain AND get sacks.

I think a lot of our 'lack of a pass rush' really is born from the fact that the jobs are: 1. Compress the pocket, 2. Keep contain, 3. Sack the QB.

Ngata looks like a natural pass rusher, but has to learn to deliver. He's a RS-FR.

When you let Kwiatkowski recruit for 5 years, this is what naturally happens.

And the whole contain thing is particularly relevant with any QBs that we play with a hint of mobility outside of the pocket.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,546 Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Obviously they would like Benning to get to the QB more, but you can tell we are trying to contain QBs like crazy. So, Bennings job is to compress the pocket #1.

That's a bit different than just being asked to get to the QB (which is what Bowman tries to do, but also why he doesn't play as much - because he can't compress the pocket).

I think what we'd ultimately like to see is Benning compress the pocket then grab the QB by the back of the jersey and throw him down.

Honestly, I think that's coming. He's obviously not a natural pass rusher, but I think he's getting better and better... and he's still just 4 games into his junior year. My hope is that by the end of this year he will be able to compress the pocket, keep contain AND get sacks.

I think a lot of our 'lack of a pass rush' really is born from the fact that the jobs are: 1. Compress the pocket, 2. Keep contain, 3. Sack the QB.

Ngata looks like a natural pass rusher, but has to learn to deliver. He's a RS-FR.

And the whole contain thing is particularly relevant with any QBs that we play with a hint of mobility outside of the pocket.
    Watching UW lose contain of Herbert is going to be special.
  • DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025

We also rarely overload one side of the line, we don’t put OTs into tough situations because our focus is on maintaining pressure up the middle and absorbing double teams there.

Completely agree that they may be asking Potoa’e to push the OT back into the QB. It’s a more natural thing for him versus slashing past the OT (he doesn’t have the athletic ability).

Still, it would be nice to have a strong guy that can do both. They exist.

The coaches have a great deal of trust in the back end of our? defense. So, not getting to the QB frequently may be something they can tolerate.

Also agree that Ngata “looks” like a natural pass rusher. But he needs to actually BE a good pass rusher. Certainly hope it happens.

I am a firm believer that great players show flashes as freshmen. Not that freshmen need to be great right away, but players that eventually become great almost always give you glimpses when they are freshmen.

Unfortunately, Anthony Kelley fizzled and became disillusioned after making a great splash as a freshman edge pass rusher.
  • Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,308

Rapp is our best pass rusher but he was lining up 20 yards off the LOS all game

We actually did some cool things with Rapp on 3rd downs, had him spy Wilkins and playing as a sub LB