Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Don James notebooks

UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
edited September 2018 in Hardcore Husky Board
I'll respect The C and not copy and paste the entire article, but this is pretty cool:

https://theathletic.com/532157/2018/09/20/don-james-thursday-speeches/

James on kicking ass:

Stanford 1977: “I would like to turn this game into a classic. A classic shit kicking.”

Utah 1979: “Shortage of class. Loud mouthed. Filthy talk … Go out and enjoy football — laugh at their mouths — kick their asses all over the field.”

Pacific 1981: “Get yourself ready to show Pacific that we aren’t W.S.U. Kick their ass!”

Washington State 1985: “Hit the Cougars ass — we don’t point fingers, talk, demean, we play! They’ve called us arrogant? Tuff maybe but not arrogant! … Walden: This is a man that made 100 phone calls to hurt us in ’84. Make him pay for trying to discredit our team.”

Cal 1990: “I’ve never in my coaching career read so many bullshit comments. They need a lesson in class and humility.”

James on payback:

Cal 1977: “Oh! One last thing! Don’t forget the water balloons! I’ve never been there without seeing our team peppered with water balloons from their distinguished student body. It will make you want to go in the stands and beat the hell out of someone. We’ll just have to take out our frustrations out on Cal’s team.”

Stanford 1977: “They defeated us last year and (Guy Benjamin) popped off and said many unkind things about us. He should not have done that. Now we must make him pay. He must be hit, punished. He must have a bad day. He must lose. I would like all this accomplished physically. No verbal abuse. No media abuse. I don’t want penalties. I don’t want fights. His payback will come through the agony of defeat.”

Oregon State 1978: “Last winter in recruiting we had a case of negative recruiting by OSU against us that was the worst case I’ve ever seen in my career. Should they have to pay with a real shit kicking for that?”

San Diego State 1982: “Will Rogers was once quoted as saying that, ‘He never met a man that he didn’t like.’ Well, I’ve never met coach Scovil and I’m finding him easy to dislike. Now, with my church background I’m having a difficult time wrestling with this. What I’ve decided to do is make it a competitive hate that will drop once the game is over … I believe very strongly that there is a time to call off the #1 units and stop running up scores (hurts everybody). I believe that players should not be taught by coaches to purposely injure opponents. This is the biggest crime in our sport … I’ve always felt that people like this should get their pay back. Swarm their ass. Get them the hell out of town. Then when it’s over we’ll tell the press what a great bunch of guys they were.”

Comments