Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Doog Millen- 4 picks v. OSU

someone should remind him of this game on KJR this week.

http://youtu.be/_LFBplLflI8

Comments

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    If Cyler starts is this when we will start to hear that Lindquist might be the better option? Always backed up by the patented "I know I can't say much because they are a lot better than I was in college.... but.... (insert criticism of Miles here)"
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    STOP LIVING IN THE PAST!!!!!
  • MakaDawgMakaDawg Member Posts: 492
    Millen first saw Miles from afar and was like “a tall white guy. Finally! I’ve got a hard on.” And then Miles took off his helmet and Millen saw the wider nose and cornrows. Millen was like “God damn it! Not again…” and his jolly rancher turned to jelly.
  • Next year with Miles as the starter you'll be hearing Hugh really pushing to get the hard working intelligent backup QB in there like Lindquist.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    TheGlove said:

someone should remind him of this game on KJR this week.

http://youtu.be/_LFBplLflI8

I'm sure Millen thinks about it every year when the Beavs come up on the schedule. Millen was a captain of the 1985 Huskies, who also lost the apple cup in Husky Stadium by one point. After losing their first two games, the '85 Huskies went on a four game winning streak, all of which were sort of lackluster performances and following road wins at Oregon ( which I attended in Eugene) and CAL, they were at home for the last game of October hosting Oregon State. For some reason, I decided I didn't want to watch that game, gave the tickets away, and went to someplace in Tacoma to watch my daughter play soccer. I had at that time missed only two home games at Husky Stadium since my first alumni season in 1966, and remembered afterward that I wasn't greatly surprised by the supposed BIG upset.

I don't know what pissed DJ off more about that game, the bulletin board material the Seattle newspapers, particularly the P.I., gave the Beavs or the lax practice efforts by the Millen captained Huskies, but the Dawgfather never gave Oregon State anything but praise for their effort and performance in that game. It's possible that DJ's problems with the Seattle-Puget Sound mainstream media began to accelerate that week for there was a new younger breed of poison-pen sports columnists in town and they never passed up an opportunity to ridicule local college football or rip DJ a new one. Although it started slowly in 1985, local media appeared to me to be in full attack mode against UW athletics, Mike Lude, Husky Football, and the Dawgfather within two years, escalating into open warfare with DJ's closing of practices to the media (Tyees such as myself still had access) in 1989, and cratering with the Pac-9 sanctions and DJ's resignation prior to the 1993 season.

It would of course be a stretch to think that the BIG upset by Oregon State in 1985 was the start of Husky Football's downfall that came eight years later in 1993. However, there's no question in my mind that for reasons that can only be attributed to a power struggle between a popular, successful UW football coach and a family-owned local newspaper's insistence on 100% access to all UW business and interests, a highly successful Husky Football program was brought to it's knees largely by a collaboration between The Seattle Times and The L.A. Times. There's more to it than that, of course, such as peer pressure applied by Pac-9 miscreants against UW's weakling administration that could only have resulted from the constant drubbing they were receiving on the gridiron.