Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Shit poast about using TBS metrics to predict the rest of our Pac games

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,887
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited September 2018 in Hardcore Husky Board
One of the biggest disappointments of Petersen’s tenure at UW to date we can all agree has been his ability to knock off an opponent a vastly more talented roster (based on TBS rankings) than ours. Based on the Boise resume, I suspect we all expected this to have happened by now and it hasn’t which is sad. Since we turned the corner after the ASU debacle of 2015, his teams have run the table against the “have nots” of the Pac- i.e., WSU, OSU, CAL, U of A, Utah and Colorado. In the same time frame, we’ve gone 4-2 against programs with roughly equal TBS rankings to us?- i.e., ASU, Stanford and Oregon. And then Pete is 0-4 against USC (’16 version), PSU, Alabama and Auburn. I’m leaving UCLA out of this analysis because well….UCLA, and Drunk Sark in 2015.

TL; DR: Pete takes care of business against the little sisters of the poor, wins at home against = talent, and doesn’t get blown out against the blue bloods.

If we use attempt to use this trend to predict the rest of the conference season, here’s how things could play out in a dealing in hypotheticals bullshit type of fashion. Note – I am including how many 4/5 star recruits each school signed in the 2014- 17 cycles and left off 2018 because these kids are too young to have much of an impact yet. Shout out to @CokeGreaterThanPepsi and the TSIO website for this data. http://theseasonisover.com/recruiting-data/

ASU – They signed 29 blue chips over the 2014- 17 period compared to 30 for us and given the lack of our having a major talent edge over them at the time, it’s not surprising we struggled in the desert. But this is a home game and we’re favored by 19.5. I’m not sure if we cover, but this is a type of game Pete’s squad should win.

BYE – BYE still sucks and we aren’t losing to them at home.

UCLA – They signed 49 four/five star kids between 2014- 17 and the game is in Pasadena. On paper and at the beginning of the season, this seems like the type of game Pete would find a way to loose. But it seems like Chip is going to take a while to get his reads down in West Hollywood, so it feels like this game is a gimme now.

OREGON – 32 blue chips signed between 2014- 17. In spite of how much crap we give our feather friends since 70-21, there’s still a ton of talent on this roster. We should be very concerned about this game based on the talent level of Oregon and it being in Eugene. It’s tied with Stanford for the hardest game left on the schedule IMHO. Also Oregon has a bye the week prior so competitive advantage them.

COLORADO – 5 blue chips between 2014- 17 and a home game. A Pete UW team should handle this type of game easy.

CAL – 8 blue chips from 2014- 17. Again, despite being on the road, this is the type of game Pete’s team wins even if it’s close in the 1st half.

STANFORD – 34 blue chips. Roughly equal talent level and this game is for all the marbles in the North. But we should be up for this game in a big way and I think we handle Stanford at home.

OREGON ST – 5 blue chips. Easy win.

WSU – 8 blue chips. Jimmy No Balls owns the Kewg.

Conclusion: I don’t think we run the table in the Pac, but an 8-1 in conference season is still a reasonable expectation in spite of Browning and the OL.

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Question to ponder: Did Pete ever have a QB as mentally fragile as Browning while at BSU? I don't recall that being so. Thus, with a mentally tough, competitive QB that throws a decent ball, perhaps Pete has a couple more big W's in his UW record.

Agree with anyone who thinks Haener should be getting snaps right now. If I were coaching UW, I'd have a 2QB system in place, which is the ultimate way to bench a fledgling starter long enough to put games out of reach, without him "losing his job" or creating a QB controversy.

I think this is a solid poont. And Browning certainly has played a role in Pete's teams not doing better against the equal talent teams on the road (e.g., Stanford and ASU in 2016) and not being able to get a win against the blue bloods. But it's not a variable we can change in 2018 since gumby, baby giraffe can't get broken.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rec'd if for nothing else still talking shit on BYE. They suck and so does the other UW.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Who knew @Tequilla had a freakishly tall brother?

You have know idea how much my brain hurt trying to type words instead of just poasting a gif or twat link.
    I answer questions in my head via gifs now. Boss says "Hey you have to work an extra shift today" and I think...

...before I even form words to say "no."

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Run the table or gtfo. Tired of pete’s bullshit
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ASU – They signed 29 blue chips over the 2014- 17 period compared to 30 for us and given the lack of our having a major talent edge over them at the time, it’s not surprising we struggled in the desert. But this is a home game and we’re favored by 19.5. I’m not sure if we cover, but this is a type of game Pete’s squad should win.
    Outpaced us in talent previously but undercoached which explains a lot of the oscillation in head to head matchups. Even if Herm is the real deal it will take a while for it all to come together. Glad we have them at home though. I think we win but I think it's a closer game than the spread is indicating bc of exactly as you are saying there's a lot of talent parity.

The Big Ten other than Ohio st looks like shit. Cal beat BYE. I might be more worried if this was in their house and their program was super hyped up after a big road upset.

UCLA – They signed 49 four/five star kids between 2014- 17 and the game is in Pasadena. On paper and at the beginning of the season, this seems like the type of game Pete would find a way to loose. But it seems like Chip is going to take a while to get his reads down in West Hollywood, so it feels like this game is a gimme now.
    Chip isn't putting this team together by early October if ever. We should roll. Only wild card I would foresee is if it ends up being 100 degrees+. The Rose bowl sucks major balls if it's that hot. For our Dwags and for Race's health I pray it ain't that hot. Could end up being a hot slugfest which would set us up poorly for the next week...

OREGON – 32 blue chips signed between 2014- 17. In spite of how much crap we give our feather friends since 70-21, there’s still a ton of talent on this roster. We should be very concerned about this game based on the talent level of Oregon and it being in Eugene. It’s tied with Stanford for the hardest game left on the schedule IMHO. Also Oregon has a bye the week prior so competitive advantage them.
    They have plenty of "talent" but no player development and mostly poor coaching. Herbert & the bye/home are literally the only reasons they have a shot. I expect them to get exposed as PAC 12 play starts.

COLORADO – 5 blue chips between 2014- 17 and a home game. A Pete UW team should handle this type of game easy.

Yeap

CAL – 8 blue chips from 2014- 17. Again, despite being on the road, this is the type of game Pete’s team wins even if it’s close in the 1st half.
    Yeap

STANFORD – 34 blue chips. Roughly equal talent level and this game is for all the marbles in the North. But we should be up for this game in a big way and I think we handle Stanford at home.
    Having CB's that can't just get out jumped by their receivers should alleviate our defensive woes against them from last year. Still concerned about our LB's allowing a huge game for Love.

Yeap
    Yeap

I see 1.5 moderate possibility losses left on the schedule. I don't care that Jake looked like shit, we expected that, putting away Utah on the road was a big first step in securing the North and we didn't step on our own dick.

I'd be curious to see what the talent matchups look like for some of the other Top 5-15 teams out there.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Outpaced us in talent previously but undercoached which explains a lot of the oscillation in head to head matchups. Even if Herm is the real deal it will take a while for it all to come together. Glad we have them at home though. I think we win but I think it's a closer game than the spread is indicating bc of exactly as you are saying there's a lot of talent parity.

The Big Ten other than Ohio st looks like shit. Cal beat BYE. I might be more worried if this was in their house and their program was super hyped up after a big road upset.

Chip isn't putting this team together by early October if ever. We should roll. Only wild card I would foresee is if it ends up being 100 degrees+. The Rose bowl sucks major balls if it's that hot. For our Dwags and for Race's health I pray it ain't that hot. Could end up being a hot slugfest which would set us up poorly for the next week...

They have plenty of "talent" but no player development and mostly poor coaching. Herbert & the bye/home are literally the only reasons they have a shot. I expect them to get exposed as PAC 12 play starts.

Yeap

Yeap

Having CB's that can't just get out jumped by their receivers should alleviate our defensive woes against them from last year. Still concerned about our LB's allowing a huge game for Love.

Yeap
    Yeap

I see 1.5 moderate possibility losses left on the schedule. I don't care that Jake looked like shit, we expected that, putting away Utah on the road was a big first step in securing the North and we didn't step on our own dick.

I'd be curious to see what the talent matchups look like for some of the other Top 5-15 teams out there.

I think we're going to be in some ugly, white knuckle games the rest of the way because of the QB position. But I have faith this corching staff's ability to beat the "have nots" and go 2-0 in the "equal talent" home games. I don't know why Oregon scares me so much, but I just have a bad feeling about that one.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yeap

Yeap

Yeap
    Yeap

I think we're going to be in some ugly, white knuckle games the rest of the way because of the QB position. But I have faith this corching staff's ability to beat the "have nots" and go 2-0 in the "equal talent" home games. I don't know why Oregon scares me so much, but I just have a bad feeling about that one.
    Duckade PTSDPOTW
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @Auburndawg used to do threads on dawgman about "talent gaps."
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,803
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Swaye said:

@Tequilla would not want to be guarding me in the paint at the IMA.

@Tequilla doesn't man up at the IMA.

Strictly a junk zone defender.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,225
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

@Tequilla would not want to be guarding me in the paint at the IMA.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2018
    Gladstone said:

@Auburndawg used to do threads on dawgman about "talent gaps."

Doogs love twisting analytics to fit whatever expectation-lowering agenda they have. It's different when we have a real head coach now though, and extremely relevant. Good chit Yellaboat.
    Thanks Fren. That means a lot coming from a Nob Hill Tech Bro who knows analytics.