Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Popped onto Doogman and found this gem

Great thread. Interesting to think about where some of the “start the next guy” thought process comes from.

There seems to be this weird assumption that Browning is just handed the ball every Saturday because he’s Jake Browning/He’s the Senior. Like, these players don’t exist outside of the 60 minutes of live reps on Saturdays and Petersen is unwilling to allow Jake to be challenged. Such nonsense.

The QB’s compete every single day in practice and Jake Browning wins the job every single day in practice. He gives them access to the entire offense (insert obvious joke about deep out routes), reading defenses, and a level of comfort making decisions at the line of scrimmage. He’s far from perfect and he takes the sort of criticism that comes when you’re the leader of a top 10 program looking for an edge to become a top 5 program. That’s all valid. I’m not against criticizing the QB, but playing a redshirt freshman quarterback just because he’s NOT Jake Browning is not the way to elevate your program.

If you were to replace a QB starting his 40th game with a QB starting his first game, especially mid-season, you would roll out a shell of an offense to minimize risk. You’d be so limited in what you could do through the air that it would suffocate your running game.

People love the Don James comparisons for Petersen when it comes to winning and running a program the right way. Part of that is his conservative nature. He sometimes stays with things for what feels like too long because he hammers on “the process” and he’s driving that vision big picture. I think people interpret Petersen’s dismissal of questions about Jake’s culpability as “the coach isn’t willing to let his QB be challenged”. I don’t think it’s that at all. I think Jake is challenged every single day to elevate his game, but he’s not going to tell us about it, and we're probably not going to see it on Saturday.

Browning is likely going to win 40 games as a starter (top 5 all time). He probably finishes with more than 100 TD’s in his career (top 25 all-time… top 10 for a guy that doesn’t play in the spread, air raid, or run & shoot) He’s made some really dumb decisions early this season, but he is the guy that gives you the best chance to win, and it’s not even close.

Comments

• Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Why are you going to dawgman? Whose alt handle are you? Christ

What a looooseeerrrrr!!!
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,578
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited September 2018

Why are you going to dawgman? Whose alt handle are you? Christ

You can read all the 247 sites
    I got curious a while back and checked it out

It's funny because its every bit as lame as I've heard.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,449
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tierbs was once a prominent dawgman poster.
  • Options
    SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 362
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I think people are massively underrating Browning. IMO he is a top 5 QB along with Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph, and Allen. He is a very good decision maker and probably the most accurate thrower of the football in this class. I understand he is undersized but he’s still 6’2” and weight can be added. Also his arm isn’t the strongest but time and time again NFL QBs have shown accuracy outweighs arm strength. I think he’s worthy of a 2nd or 3rd round pick and will be very successful. Why isn’t he picking up traction?

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,041
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

whuggy said:

Calling for Haener to start is FS. Giving Haener a couple of series in the second quarter to see how it competes against players with a pulse makes all the sense in the world.

Agree. What's the downside to letting Haener have a series and seeing how he does? What's the worst thing he's going to do: throw an interception or take a sack for a loss?
    You ruined the gif punchlines.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,970
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I think people are massively underrating Browning. IMO he is a top 5 QB along with Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph, and Allen. He is a very good decision maker and probably the most accurate thrower of the football in this class. I understand he is undersized but he’s still 6’2” and weight can be added. Also his arm isn’t the strongest but time and time again NFL QBs have shown accuracy outweighs arm strength. I think he’s worthy of a 2nd or 3rd round pick and will be very successful. Why isn’t he picking up traction?

Browning threw 2 picks this week because his accuracy sucks. Would have been 2-3 more against a pac12 D
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    haie said:

haie said:

Tierbs was once a dawgman poster.

• Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    whuggy said:

haie said:

haie said:

Tierbs was once a dawgman poster.

Fixed.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    whuggy said:

Calling for Haener to start is FS. Giving Haener a couple of series in the second quarter to see how it competes against players with a pulse makes all the sense in the world.

Drive the team down inside the 10. Audible
    Out of a stupid speed option to a Gaskin counter which scores a touchdown. Pete chews him out for not sticking with the original called play and goes back to Browning who throws two pick sixes and we? Lose.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,556
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Hi Kim! Nice troll job! FOG
  • Options
    Jack_CobraJack_Cobra Member Posts: 246
    Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    OH fuck off myles with the "people who arent D1 college coaches cant have opinions" bullshit... at least he has the balls to stick up for his teammate, something i doubt browncocks has the ability to do.