Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Just finished watching BG

Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
The first two drives they were running a single back power run set with a sniffer which no one would prepare for being that they are an air raid team. They adjusted and that was over.

The WR's played way better than they did last year up to the point of catching the ball. That's the #1 job so until that improves the little things don't matter and they suck.

Herbert is fucking ridiculous. It's a shame this is the era of Oregon football he will be tied to. He is better than Mariota.

McCormick broke his leg which means the TE position at the LOS will be awful again. That's a bigger loss than most realize.

The secondary didn't play all that poorly. There are really only two ways to defend the air raid with a lot of success and that's to break the WR's which Nick Saban starter or to break the QB which Mike Stoops started. Leavitt does neither of those and it shows as his D struggles against it.

Turdmeister still hasn't earned the right to be called by his real name yet. Shough should get some run in one of the next two games.

The game was treated like a scrimmage from the start as it should have been. My overall prediction stays the same. Wazzu, Stanford and Cal are better than I thought they would be and UA, UW, and UCLA are worse than I thought they would be.

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,582
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Why would you care about some other 7 win team in your conference playing a meaningless scrimmage?

You just lost to fucking B.Y.U.
  • Options
    haie said:

Why would you care about some other 7 win team in your conference playing a meaningless scrimmage?

We both understand I had a way better time in college, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with being a football fan.
  • Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2018
    Mosster47 said:

The first two drives they were running a single back power run set with a sniffer which no one would prepare for being that they are an air raid team. They adjusted and that was over.

The WR's played way better than they did last year up to the point of catching the ball. That's the #1 job so until that improves the little things don't matter and they suck.

Herbert is fucking ridiculous. It's a shame this is the era of Oregon football he will be tied to. He is better than Mariota.

McCormick broke his leg which means the TE position at the LOS will be awful again. That's a bigger loss than most realize.

The secondary didn't play all that poorly. There are really only two ways to defend the air raid with a lot of success and that's to break the WR's which Nick Saban starter or to break the QB which Mike Stoops started. Leavitt does neither of those and it shows as his D struggles against it.

Turdmeister still hasn't earned the right to be called by his real name yet. Shough should get some run in one of the next two games.

The game was treated like a scrimmage from the start as it should have been. My overall prediction stays the same. Wazzu, Stanford and Cal are better than I thought they would be and UA, UW, and UCLA are worse than I thought they would be.

Herbert looked fantastic. He made throws that were amazing. He can throw a laser at 40 yds. it seems. This may be his last year unless he wants to play with his brother.

He even pulled away from their outside linebacker on one of his longer runs.

I heard McCormicks injury was "significant" but it was his foot. Regardless Kano, Bay and Webb need to step up. It was fortuitous that we picked up Kano as a Grad Transfer. He is a beast 6' 5" 256lbs.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,582
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mosster47 said:

haie said:

We both understand I had a way better time in college, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with being a football fan.
    Going to school in a shit hole in the middle of the desert is more fun than going to school in Seattle?
  • Options
    haie said:

Mosster47 said:

haie said:

Going to school in a shit hole in the middle of the desert is more fun than going to school in Seattle?
    If you like women, yes.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Mosster47 said:

haie said:

Mosster47 said:

haie said:

If you like women who like men, yes.
    FTFY .... sad but true.
  • Options

Herbert better than Mariota? Fucking el oh el what other garbage hot takes do you have?

Herbert has a ton of talent but he is not Marcus.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    An interesting note is that neither of these QB's was wanted by hardly anyone. I think Marcus had one D-1 offer and Herbert was a local Eugene kid that no one had on their radar.

https://247sports.com/Player/Marcus-Mariota-7219/high-school-2229

https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Herbert-85242/high-school-147906
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,517
    edited September 2018
    DJDuck said:

An interesting note is that neither of these QB's was wanted by hardly anyone. I think Marcus had one D-1 offer and Herbert was a local Eugene kid that no one had on their radar.

Both those statements are incorrect. Marcus and Herbert weren’t highly recruited when Oregon offered, but as it got closer to signing day other programs turned up the heat on them.
  • Options
    No your statement is incorrect. all you have to do is look at the offers............that means read information.
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

Both those statements are incorrect. Marcus and Herbert weren’t highly recruited when Oregon offered, but as it got closer to signing day other programs turned up the heat on them.
    Do you make an effort to be this ignorant or does it come naturally. You seem to eschew truth and reality.

Why Heisman Favorite Marcus Mariota Received Only One Scholarship Offer

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/road-saturday/201412/no-one-recruited-heisman-favorite-marcus-mariota-because-he-lived-hawaii
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota considered Huskies before signing with Ducks

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/oregon-quarterback-marcus-mariota-considered-huskies-before-signing-with-ducks/

"On the flight from Seattle back home to Hawaii three years ago, Marcus Mariota made a decision.

“Mom,” he said, “I’m going to be a Husky.”

“He was a fantastic player in camp,” Sarkisian said. “He hadn’t started on his high school football team quite yet, so there was some hesitation on our part, quite honestly, in evaluating him.”

Indeed, Mariota didn’t start at Honolulu’s St. Louis High School until his senior season. Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich, now in his first season as the successor to Chip Kelly as the UO head coach, was one of the first recruiters to discover Mariota before the quarterback’s senior season.

“It was certainly bizarre,” Helfrich said Tuesday of recruiting Mariota. “I think he was an unknown because he didn’t play. … And the more you talked with people around the high school and the football team, he kind of just took on this legendary-like status of just a great person, great student. And then to watch him play; I can remember calling Chip and going, ‘This guy’s unbelievable.’

“And then we made the decision to offer (a scholarship) from there and the rest, as they say, is history.”
    A three-star recruit, Mariota wasn’t even offered a scholarship by Hawaii, his hometown school.
    “When I first started getting attention from Oregon, I was pretty surprised,” he said.

The decision between the Huskies and Ducks (5-0), the two rival schools, came down to “the whole package of Oregon,” he said. “That whole process was an interesting one, and I’m thankful that things turned out the way they did.”

The redshirt sophomore, listed at 6 feet 4, 211 pounds, with a 4.48-second 40-yard time, has 21 touchdowns (14 passing, seven rushing) and no interceptions. He hasn’t played a single snap in the fourth quarter this season for an Oregon offense averaging 59.2 points.

“Credit to Oregon, they went for it on him before we did,” Sarkisian said. “We tried to come in late and he stuck with his commitment to Oregon. He’s a heck of a player for them. What can you say?”

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,517
    DJDuck said:

ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/oregon-quarterback-marcus-mariota-considered-huskies-before-signing-with-ducks/

"On the flight from Seattle back home to Hawaii three years ago, Marcus Mariota made a decision.

“He was a fantastic player in camp,” Sarkisian said. “He hadn’t started on his high school football team quite yet, so there was some hesitation on our part, quite honestly, in evaluating him.”

Indeed, Mariota didn’t start at Honolulu’s St. Louis High School until his senior season. Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich, now in his first season as the successor to Chip Kelly as the UO head coach, was one of the first recruiters to discover Mariota before the quarterback’s senior season.

“It was certainly bizarre,” Helfrich said Tuesday of recruiting Mariota. “I think he was an unknown because he didn’t play. … And the more you talked with people around the high school and the football team, he kind of just took on this legendary-like status of just a great person, great student. And then to watch him play; I can remember calling Chip and going, ‘This guy’s unbelievable.’

“And then we made the decision to offer (a scholarship) from there and the rest, as they say, is history.”
    A three-star recruit, Mariota wasn’t even offered a scholarship by Hawaii, his hometown school.
    “When I first started getting attention from Oregon, I was pretty surprised,” he said.

The decision between the Huskies and Ducks (5-0), the two rival schools, came down to “the whole package of Oregon,” he said. “That whole process was an interesting one, and I’m thankful that things turned out the way they did.”

The redshirt sophomore, listed at 6 feet 4, 211 pounds, with a 4.48-second 40-yard time, has 21 touchdowns (14 passing, seven rushing) and no interceptions. He hasn’t played a single snap in the fourth quarter this season for an Oregon offense averaging 59.2 points.

“Credit to Oregon, they went for it on him before we did,” Sarkisian said. “We tried to come in late and he stuck with his commitment to Oregon. He’s a heck of a player for them. What can you say?”

247 stops updating offer info when a guy commits. It says he had no offer from UW despite you linking to an article where it clearly says UW offered him,

You said he only had one other offer, but literally linked to 2 separate sources saying he had an offer from Memphis and UW....your own links say you’re wrong.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,112
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The Ducks put up similar rushing numbers against BGSU as powerhouses like Ohio, Buffalo and Kent State did last year. I'm sure glad we? have 6 future NFL starters in the 2 deep, imagine how bad it would have been without them.

In BGSU's last 13 games, only 3 teams have rushed for fewer yards than Oregon did. That's fucking pathetic.
    In 35 carries by the RBs, the long run was 15 yards.
    Herbert was Oregon's leading rusher until the 2nd to last series of the game.

We? have a bottom half of the conference LB corps again.

It was super awesome watching a senior safety and pre season AA junior LB fail to cover a dude with 6 seconds left in the half. There were 3 defenders and 2 route runners and all 3 defenders took the same guy. Fucking brilliant.

The secondary didn't play poorly, but BGSU's only WR had a career fucking night in receptions and yards? 13 for 166 and 2 tugs. Imagine what's going to happen against Furd if they do "play poorly".
  • Options
    DJDuck said:

Herbert better than Mariota? Fucking el oh el what other garbage hot takes do you have?

You're right, he is better. Mariota still can't make half the throw Herbie does on a regular basis. Mariota was a bit better runner which translates to about 1.5 seasons of added success in the NFL.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,112
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Mosster47 said:

DJDuck said:

You're right, he is better. Mariota still can't make half the throw Herbie does on a regular basis. Mariota was a bit better runner which translates to about 1.5 seasons of added success in the NFL.
    Herbert has a significantly higher NFL ceiling.
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

ntxduck said:

DJDuck said:

247 stops updating offer info when a guy commits. It says he had no offer from UW despite you linking to an article where it clearly says UW offered him,

You said he only had one other offer, but literally linked to 2 separate sources saying he had an offer from Memphis and UW....your own links say you’re wrong.
    I meant one offer other than the Ducks. Washington came in late when it was already a done deal. Big deal. The main point is almost everyone passed on him.

Also you or someone said people came in late. Washington, realizing their mistake came in late. I believe they were the only ones. So in the end the future Heisman trophy winner had 3 offers. That sure is much more significant.