Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

College Football’s must-see non-conference games for NFL scouts: Nos. 1

FREE PUB!!!! for us?, and a good look at who we should be scared of from Auburn.

Per the Athletic:

1. AUBURN VS. WASHINGTON (SEPT. 1; Atlanta)

The first-ever meeting between the two schools, Auburn and Washington combined for five players drafted in the first two rounds last April, but the cupboard is far from bare at these two programs.

Arguably the top NFL prospect in this match-up, Auburn QB Jarrett Stidham (6-2, 219, 4.72) had a successful first season in the SEC a year ago and scouts are expecting to see improvements that could eventually land him in the draft’s top-10 picks. Stidham, whose skill-set reminds me of Mitchell Trubisky, loses Kerryon Johnson at running back, but the Tigers return their top-five receivers, including senior WR Ryan Davis (5-9, 186, 4.43), who projects as a potential late rounder with his speed. Although the Auburn offensive line loses four starters from last season, redshirt junior OT Prince Tega Wanogho (6-6, 303, 5.08) has a bright future if he can improve his consistency.

While Stidham has the talent to be a top-10 prospect, Washington has their own potential top-10 pick on offense with senior OT Trey Adams (6-7, 330, 5.30). The Washington native might have been the first tackle drafted in the 2018 class (ahead of Notre Dame’s McGlinchey), but an ACL tear last October led to him returning for his senior season for the Huskies. Auburn loses SEC sack leader Jeff Holland, but return several talented defensive linemen, most notably junior DT Derrick Brown (6-5, 317, 5.23), who has the raw talent to emerge as a premium draft pick.

Washington junior RB Myles Gaskin (5-9, 194, 4.50) surprised many when he decided to bypass the NFL and return for his senior season. His sub-200 pound frame lowers his ceiling as a NFL player, but he has the vision and elusive feet to gash defenses. Although he isn’t a lock for the draft’s top-100 picks, Gaskin, who needs only 52 rushing yards to pass Napoleon Kaufman as the school’s all-time leading rusher, will help sway doubters with a strong performance against a tough SEC defense. Auburn redshirt senior MLB Deshaun Davis (5-11, 244, 4.70) might not be an early round prospect, but he is considered the heart and soul of the Tigers’ defense.

Washington finished top-10 nationally in total defense last year and has the talent to do it again in 2018. Redshirt senior DT Greg Gaines (6-1, 321, 5.34) is a draftable player up front, but the most impressive defensive unit for the Huskies again resides in the secondary. Redshirt sophomore CB Byron Murphy (5-10, 185, 4.48) has only six career starts, but he is a star in the making and NFL scouts have taken notice. Although he isn’t going to test off the charts from a size/speed standpoint, junior DS Taylor Rapp (6-0, 215, 4.57) has the football instincts that makes him very productive against the pass and the run. Stidham throwing against the Washington secondary will make for must-see game film for NFL scouts.

TL:DR - Should be an interesting game with good talent on both sides playing hard.

Comments

• GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061

Anytime you're in the same conversation as Mitchell Trubisky you've arrived

That was a WTF moment for me also.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    They're wrong about Rape Culture not testing well. People will be blown away by those tests.
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 4,011
    Why are they making up 40 times for everyone?

And why do they like Stidham as a top ten pick? His sub-6'3 frame lowers his ceiling as a NFL player.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,853
    Gladstone said:

They're wrong about Rape Culture not testing well. People will be blown away by those tests.

I never know what to expect when these guys do their combine

Jaelen strong a few years ago ran like a 4.4 and I was shocked. Once they get with those combine trainers they tend to really change a bit
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,423
    Bread said:

Why are they making up 40 times for everyone?

And why do they like Stidham as a top ten pick? His sub-6'3 frame lowers his ceiling as a NFL player.

They're probably going by nfldraftscout.com, who usually has pretty conservative and more accurate numbers than what teams list.

Stidham isn't that great, but it has nothing to do with his height, you muppet. 6'2 is basically the average height for QBs drafted in the 1st round nowadays.

Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Prescott, Carr, Garoppolo and Bridgewater are all 6'2. A couple of those guys have been pretty successful.
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,423

Gladstone said:

Because he's Asian? ISAFNRC
    I still haven't figured out what the fuck this means.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943

Gladstone said:

I specifically asked for no racist crap
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter

FREE PUB!!!! for us?, and a good look at who we should be scared of from Auburn.

Per the Athletic:

1. AUBURN VS. WASHINGTON (SEPT. 1; Atlanta)

The first-ever meeting between the two schools, Auburn and Washington combined for five players drafted in the first two rounds last April, but the cupboard is far from bare at these two programs.

Arguably the top NFL prospect in this match-up, Auburn QB Jarrett Stidham (6-2, 219, 4.72) had a successful first season in the SEC a year ago and scouts are expecting to see improvements that could eventually land him in the draft’s top-10 picks. Stidham, whose skill-set reminds me of Mitchell Trubisky, loses Kerryon Johnson at running back, but the Tigers return their top-five receivers, including senior WR Ryan Davis (5-9, 186, 4.43), who projects as a potential late rounder with his speed. Although the Auburn offensive line loses four starters from last season, redshirt junior OT Prince Tega Wanogho (6-6, 303, 5.08) has a bright future if he can improve his consistency.

While Stidham has the talent to be a top-10 prospect, Washington has their own potential top-10 pick on offense with senior OT Trey Adams (6-7, 330, 5.30). The Washington native might have been the first tackle drafted in the 2018 class (ahead of Notre Dame’s McGlinchey), but an ACL tear last October led to him returning for his senior season for the Huskies. Auburn loses SEC sack leader Jeff Holland, but return several talented defensive linemen, most notably junior DT Derrick Brown (6-5, 317, 5.23), who has the raw talent to emerge as a premium draft pick.

Washington junior RB Myles Gaskin (5-9, 194, 4.50) surprised many when he decided to bypass the NFL and return for his senior season. His sub-200 pound frame lowers his ceiling as a NFL player, but he has the vision and elusive feet to gash defenses. Although he isn’t a lock for the draft’s top-100 picks, Gaskin, who needs only 52 rushing yards to pass Napoleon Kaufman as the school’s all-time leading rusher, will help sway doubters with a strong performance against a tough SEC defense. Auburn redshirt senior MLB Deshaun Davis (5-11, 244, 4.70) might not be an early round prospect, but he is considered the heart and soul of the Tigers’ defense.

Washington finished top-10 nationally in total defense last year and has the talent to do it again in 2018. Redshirt senior DT Greg Gaines (6-1, 321, 5.34) is a draftable player up front, but the most impressive defensive unit for the Huskies again resides in the secondary. Redshirt sophomore CB Byron Murphy (5-10, 185, 4.48) has only six career starts, but he is a star in the making and NFL scouts have taken notice. Although he isn’t going to test off the charts from a size/speed standpoint, junior DS Taylor Rapp (6-0, 215, 4.57) has the football instincts that makes him very productive against the pass and the run. Stidham throwing against the Washington secondary will make for must-see game film for NFL scouts.

TL:DR - Should be an interesting game with good talent on both sides playing hard.

With all that being said, Jake Browning still sucks
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943

Gladstone said:

I specifically asked for no racist crap
    My stupidity astounds even myself sometimes.
    It took me like 8 months to figure it out