Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Serious academis querey chinspired by the Kaho situation

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
So whenever Kaho released his top 5 and we weren't on it it was said that there was a class he was required to have for UW that none of the other schools required. When we snuck back in it it was said we figured out how he could get the class in (which was obviously the class he had to take this summer).

Yet when academis come up we often hear people claim "UW uses the minimum NCAA requirements for PSAs, if they can qualify anywhere they can qualify here".

Obviously, this isn't actually the case. So my querey is two fold:

1. What class is this that Kaho needed for UW but for none of his other top schools?
2. What are UW's actual requirements for freshman

I understand we have different requirements for JUCOs because we don't accept PE credits, et al. That's not what I'm chinterested in here. I just want to know, for a high school graduate, what does UW require that the NCAA doesn't?

TYFYSIA

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

UW require two years of foreign language. NCAA doesn't require it, though I'm guessing most other universities do, so probably moot. Not like he could fulfill that over the summer anyway.

Good info. But what is it UW requires that all these other schools don't?
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110

He probably didn't get his second year of foreign language completed. You need three years or through like Spanish 103 to graduate. So in high school, a whole fucking year of spanish counts the same as one quarter at a community college. So Spanish 101 equals one year in high school. Spanish 102, same thing. Spanish 102 meets the requirements to transfer to UW. While at UW, you would still need to take Spanish 103 to meet the graduation requirements of UW. If your kid is at a CC, I recommend they take 103 to fulfill those requirements. If your kid is high school, I recommend they do that as well so they don't end up starting over taking three quarters of swahili at UW.

Good call, I forgot one quarter = one year.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,401 Swaye's Wigwam

UW require two years of foreign language. NCAA doesn't require it, though I'm guessing most other universities do, so probably moot. Not like he could fulfill that over the summer anyway.

You actually can get it done over the summer but you have to test out of 103 essentially. I did it once long ago when I transferred into UW.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,401 Swaye's Wigwam

He probably didn't get his second year of foreign language completed. You need three years or through like Spanish 103 to graduate. So in high school, a whole fucking year of spanish counts the same as one quarter at a community college. So Spanish 101 equals one year in high school. Spanish 102, same thing. Spanish 102 meets the requirements to transfer to UW. While at UW, you would still need to take Spanish 103 to meet the graduation requirements of UW. If your kid is at a CC, I recommend they take 103 to fulfill those requirements. If your kid is high school, I recommend they do that as well so they don't end up starting over taking three quarters of swahili at UW.

If this is why he's not coming here I question if we? are a serious football school. I'm sure there's a Chinese tutor that could have tested out of Mandarin 103 for him.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,336 Swaye's Wigwam

If this is why he's not coming here I question if we? are a serious football school. I'm sure there's a Chinese tutor that could have tested out of Mandarin 103 for him.
    He technically only really needs 102 to get in. He'd need 103 to ultimately graduate. I'd bet his academic adviser in high school dropped the ball with their schools obviously biggest football recruit, ever. The quarters here are super short, but honestly he probably took the course through like WGU where you can study at your own pace. Seattle CC's aren't out for summer quarter until 08/17/18.
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 4,011
    I'm calling bullshit on foreign language. You don't have to take it to get into UW. They will just make you take it before graduating. Source: took ASL 101 with Billa Baker and half of the 2012 recruiting class after not taking foreign language in highschool. Andrew Kirkland signed like he was deaf. Billa sucked so bad after three quarters his d's still looked like l's.
  • SyphilisButterSyphilisButter Member Posts: 221
    edited August 2018
    The minimum GPA/SAT combo score is the same as the NCAA minimum, this is what UW, Cal, and 90% of schools use. I'd argue ND is worse than Stanford ultimately because while admissions is a hair lighter, once enrolled they require their students to take calculus whereas Stanford liberally gives out unweighted 4.0s like clockwork.

Calculus + play D1 football? Or Calc at all? Fuck that.
  • BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    edited August 2018
    Bread said:

I'm calling bullshit on foreign language. You don't have to take it to get into UW. They will just make you take it before graduating. Source: took ASL 101 with Billa Baker and half of the 2012 recruiting class after not taking foreign language in highschool. Andrew Kirkland signed like he was deaf. Billa sucked so bad after three quarters his d's still looked like l's.

Yes I believe this is correct, at least this is how it was for me (though it was a long time ago).

I took 2 years of German in high school, because they told us if we had 2 years going in to the UW, then we would not have to take any more at the UW -- and this was correct, I didn't have to take any addition foreign language to graduate from the UW.

But the foreign language was not required to get in (at least, not 20 years ago), it just made your application look better.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,584 Standard Supporter
    Jesus. Just let the guy hang out in Red Square. That’s like immersive Chinese study.