Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Lakers’ Crazed Cult of Kobe Comes For LeBron James

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's dames birthday today
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    haie said:

It's dames birthday today

How old is the future Laker?
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Bron is better than Kobe, anybody with a pulse can see that. That article was way too down on Kobe though.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

Bron is better than Kobe, anybody with a pulse can see that. That article was way too down on Kobe though.
    I agree. But that didn’t come about until this Season imo. Kobe is a better 2 way player though. It is close though.
  • SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    LeBron James cares about his legacy. I think he underestimated the negative effect on his legacy of going to the Lakers when he's still in his prime.

This isn't MJ playing for the Wizards. He's still in his prime. Expectations are high. Lakers fans and Kobe stans are going to hate on him all four years if he doesn't deliver a title.

And with the shit moves by the Lakers front office, there's little reason to think he will win a title. He's going into his age 34 season. At that age, MJ won his last title, and his game was declining (advanced stats at Basketball Reference show this pretty clearly). A declining LeBron, Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, and Kyle Kuzma? No chance.

He would have been forgiven for not winning another title in Cleveland. No way that will happen in LA.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Squirt said:

LeBron James cares about his legacy. I think he underestimated the negative effect on his legacy of going to the Lakers when he's still in his prime.

This isn't MJ playing for the Wizards. He's still in his prime. Expectations are high. Lakers fans and Kobe stans are going to hate on him all four years if he doesn't deliver a title.

And with the shit moves by the Lakers front office, there's little reason to think he will win a title. He's going into his age 34 season. At that age, MJ won his last title, and his game was declining (advanced stats at Basketball Reference show this pretty clearly). A declining LeBron, Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, and Kyle Kuzma? No chance.

He would have been forgiven for not winning another title in Cleveland. No way that will happen in LA.

I think he's mostly safe. Everyone's so obsessed with "The Warriors Ruined The NBA" that he's going to be given a pass. Even though he'll probably never even have the #2 in the league again.
  • HorrifyinglyAlluringHorrifyinglyAlluring Member Posts: 102
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2018

Someone got beat up by lakers fans in high school.
    I laughed. Although the author does have a point. There have been articles where people Twitter scraped anti-LeBron sentiment and the majority, the overwhelming majority, were Kobe fanboys. It's a fascinating cult. The two never even played against each other in the playoffs.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Someone got beat up by lakers fans in high school.
    I laughed. Although the author does have a point. There have been articles where people Twitter scraped anti-LeBron sentiment and the majority, the overwhelming majority, were Kobe fanboys. It's a fascinating cult. The two never even played against each other in the playoffs.
    Well for one, there's the Bron cult(some on here) vs. the kobe cult. This has been an online feud for more than a decade.

Speaking as a Lakers and by extension a Kobe fan the early years of Bron in the league were especially obnoxious. He'd accomplished nothing but getting swept in the finals once and there was already a loud part of the media discussing if he was better than MJ. Mind you, this was still in the years where Kobe was peak and we were still wondering if he might surpass MJ's ring count. A lot of the same reasons other fans used to discredit Kobe were ignored in Lebron's case because who hated the cavaliers or the heat at that point? Nobody. ex. Not winning without supporting casts, diva attitude, flopping, etc.

The article itself is a decent example of what I'm talking about. Kobe's five rings don't count because supporting cast but Bron's three rings count because he did it one time with less in Cleveland. Kobe's an asshole that nobody wants to play with but nevermind all the examples Bron being a GM and creating team havoc or leaving teams that are no longer good enough for him.

*shrug The best Seattle thing I can compare it to is the Russell Wilson vs. Andrew Luck debate. The difference being that Bron actually went on to accomplish things and fulfill some of the potential everyone drooled over.

I'm happy the Lakers got him but leery of the late in the career big max deals for obvious reasons. As ever in these things all you can do is LIPO. If Bron comes to LA and wins even one title he'll silence a lot of the criticisms he rightfully or wrongfully receives. He'll be forever loved if he beats Boston for one or takes the title count from them. If he pulls a late in his career Kobe don't expect anyone in LA to have any love for him at all. Kobe at least earned his retirement contract and we all knew what it was when they inked it.

It's also a bit presumptuous and disrespectful to already call him the King of LA when you have so much tradition and history here(16 titles!). This isn't fucking Cleveland. That's a minor quibble though.

Meh, I'm a Lakers fan first and a fan of the players second. I've gotten to see Kareem, Magic, Shaq, and Kobe all in person and I've gotten to attend a Lakers vs. Celtics final. I have no problem giving Bron his due as one of the greatest in the history of the sport. He's probably #2. MJ is still #1 and I HATED MJ but great is great. Kobe is right up there as one of the greats but even now it seems that admitting that threatens people somehow.

TLDR Kobe and Bron are both great players. Some people have an issue being able to admit both of those facts at once. Let's see what Bron can do for #myLakers. Winning solves everything.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Also, it will be just as entertaining for me to watch all the Bron fans being forced to swallow being on the Laker wagon.
  • SyphilisButterSyphilisButter Member Posts: 221
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Photogenic
    Is being part of the LeBron cult just watching his finals performances the past 4 years? That's all it is. If he hasn't won anyone over in the top 2-3 all time debate by now, he never will. Some people are resigned to hating him and that's OK.

I agree with the article about the Shaq/rings part. Lebron was always the top player on his championship teams, significantly so. Kobe was the top player for 2 of his rings. Still a major accomplishment and he's an all time top 10-15 player, but I agree the cult/icon/image he built around himself is pretty weird.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658

Is being part of the LeBron cult just watching his finals performances the past 4 years? That's all it is. If he hasn't won anyone over in the top 2-3 all time debate by now, he never will. Some people are resigned to hating him and that's OK.

I agree with the article about the Shaq/rings part. Lebron was always the top player on his championship teams, significantly so. Kobe was the top player for 2 of his rings. Still a major accomplishment and he's an all time top 10-15 player, but I agree the cult/icon/image he built around himself is pretty weird.

People would be foolish not to include LeBron in the Top 2 or 3 debate. Because he is.

Just as foolish as trying to place LeBron at #1. Because he isn't.