Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NBA Free Agency

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

I don't think it's a given that the Lakers are the 3rd best team in the West right now as it currently stands.

Let's assume that they get the 3 seed and they don't sign another big name this offseason. The Lakers are going to walk into the Playoffs almost assured of having to face one of New Orleans, OKC, Utah, Denver, or Minnesota in the 1st round. I'm not confident that the Lakers beat New Orleans (assuming Boogie goes back there and is healthy by playoff time) in a 7 game series. I think Utah desperately needs to potentially find a wing upgrade to help both LBJ but their overall defense will provide a challenge. I'm not sold on OKC but if there is a type of series where Westbrook would thrive in, this would be that type of series. Both Denver and Minnesota have pieces that will at least make the series interesting.

Point being, LeBron's not in the East anymore where he can coast through the regular season and at least 1 round of the Playoffs. Who knows what other moves are out there, but I also didn't mention Portland, Memphis, or Dallas … each of those teams would tell you right now that they expect to be contenders for the Playoffs. And the Clippers are a complete Wild Card team. The only teams in the West that I expect to be fully worthless will be Sacramento because they are Sacramento and Phoenix because they are super young … although I expect they will be a lot better next year.

New Orleans, OKC or Utah could challenge LA in a playoff series. Minnesota still hasn’t embraced today’s NBA game and are terrible in the 4th qtr because of that. They should be better than they are. The Clips and Blazers are on the pay no mind list come playoffs. Neither one has a chance to advance.

LeBron has taken what was probably the 4th or 5th best Western Conf team, if they were in it anyway, to the Finals four years in a row. If the NBA had a waR stat like Beisbol, he’d probably be a +25.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    salemcoog said:

Tequilla said:

I don't think it's a given that the Lakers are the 3rd best team in the West right now as it currently stands.

Let's assume that they get the 3 seed and they don't sign another big name this offseason. The Lakers are going to walk into the Playoffs almost assured of having to face one of New Orleans, OKC, Utah, Denver, or Minnesota in the 1st round. I'm not confident that the Lakers beat New Orleans (assuming Boogie goes back there and is healthy by playoff time) in a 7 game series. I think Utah desperately needs to potentially find a wing upgrade to help both LBJ but their overall defense will provide a challenge. I'm not sold on OKC but if there is a type of series where Westbrook would thrive in, this would be that type of series. Both Denver and Minnesota have pieces that will at least make the series interesting.

Point being, LeBron's not in the East anymore where he can coast through the regular season and at least 1 round of the Playoffs. Who knows what other moves are out there, but I also didn't mention Portland, Memphis, or Dallas … each of those teams would tell you right now that they expect to be contenders for the Playoffs. And the Clippers are a complete Wild Card team. The only teams in the West that I expect to be fully worthless will be Sacramento because they are Sacramento and Phoenix because they are super young … although I expect they will be a lot better next year.

New Orleans, OKC or Utah could challenge LA in a playoff series. Minnesota still hasn’t embraced today’s NBA game and are terrible in the 4th qtr because of that. They should be better than they are. The Clips and Blazers are on the pay no mind list come playoffs. Neither one has a chance to advance.

LeBron has taken what was probably the 4th or 5th best Western Conf team, if they were in it anyway, to the Finals four years in a row. If the NBA had a waR stat like Beisbol, he’d probably be a +25.
    My point with the Blazers isn't that they are a threat IN the playoffs … but they are a competitive regular season team that should have an expectation of winning 41-45 games and being a threat to get in.

I get your point on Minnesota but I don't think basketball has to be a one size fit all league where it's all drive and dish and shoot 3's league. What I do think that you have to be able to do though is be able to defend the 3 point line (which they don't particularly do great) and once you do that be able to hold them to shooting 2's at a level no better than what you do. The other thing if you are a team that isn't embracing the 3 point line is that you MUST get to the free throw line on a regular basis and convert at a high percentage. It's the weakness with Houston in that if you can run them off the 3 point line and not send them to the line they can really start to struggle.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The point about LBJ taking the 4th or 5th best West team to the Finals is why the whole 8 in a row thing doesn't hold as much weight to me. It's no doubt impressive but it speaks to the competition that he was beating. Now, if he was winning the titles on top of that then that's a different conversation.

I expect the Lakers to add to what they've got right now. I'm not 100% convinced that the Lakers as constructed are materially better than what the Cavs were in the East ... and if not, they are going to do well to get to 50 wins. There's not a huge gap from 50 wins down to 45 wins ... and at that point you're right on the playoff cut line. There are few nights off in the West. The biggest challenge I see right now with the Lakers is seeing how the young players will ultimately fall in line with LBJ's expectations, playing their roles, etc. The kids are talented but as we saw in Cleveland with guys like Clarkson and Nance, it was definitely hit and miss.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

The point about LBJ taking the 4th or 5th best West team to the Finals is why the whole 8 in a row thing doesn't hold as much weight to me. It's no doubt impressive but it speaks to the competition that he was beating. Now, if he was winning the titles on top of that then that's a different conversation.

I expect the Lakers to add to what they've got right now. I'm not 100% convinced that the Lakers as constructed are materially better than what the Cavs were in the East ... and if not, they are going to do well to get to 50 wins. There's not a huge gap from 50 wins down to 45 wins ... and at that point you're right on the playoff cut line. There are few nights off in the West. The biggest challenge I see right now with the Lakers is seeing how the young players will ultimately fall in line with LBJ's expectations, playing their roles, etc. The kids are talented but as we saw in Cleveland with guys like Clarkson and Nance, it was definitely hit and miss.

I’m shaking my head at the Lance Romance signing. Don’t understand it at all. The Lakers already have the Ball circus to deal with. And now Stevenson. Off the court He’s done well. But on it, He’s Rasheed Wallace without the talent. Maybe Lance and Bron have become Boyz off the court? Because if not, that’s probably the last dude Bron wanted to see his team sign.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,178
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I guess we finally get to see what Lebron looks like in the Western Conference.

Still hyped as fuck as a Lakers fan. Just hoping that they can put together the other necessary pieces. They are at the very least relevant again.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hurts Trojan football IMO
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Rondo to the Lakeshow lmao @ ball family
  • Options
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Founders Club
    I'm completely confused by the Lakers right now. If they end up trading 3 of kuz/ingram/hart/ball/randle for Kahwi, and keep all these misfits, I can only assume Lebron wants to cement his legacy as undisputed #1 by winning a championship with the worst supporting cast ever. (Not saying Kahwi is a misfit, he's great. The rest however...)

I mean I'm pretty high on rondo but he's similar enough to lonzo that i'd rather keep lonzo. I guess if theyre positioning for a kawhi trade it makes sense? Maybe?
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    RONDO BAHAHAHAHAH THE WORST FIT YOU COULD EVER HAVE FOR LEBRON.
  • Options

Rondo, Lance, Javale. Gonna make a combined $15 million next season. Magic and the other guy have no clue what they’re doing. They’re going to waste Lebron.

I don't mind Javale. Lance and Rondo fucking suck. No shooting. They won't be able to hang with the Warriors. They fucked.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,775
    Gladstone said:

Rondo to the Lakeshow lmao @ ball family

Magic brought in Rondo and Lance to bitch slap Lavar.

Lebron already has issues punching things in frustration.

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,178
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

I'm completely confused by the Lakers right now. If they end up trading 3 of kuz/ingram/hart/ball/randle for Kahwi, and keep all these misfits, I can only assume Lebron wants to cement his legacy as undisputed #1 by winning a championship with the worst supporting cast ever. (Not saying Kahwi is a misfit, he's great. The rest however...)

I mean I'm pretty high on rondo but he's similar enough to lonzo that i'd rather keep lonzo. I guess if theyre positioning for a kawhi trade it makes sense? Maybe?

Randle gone.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Has Lebron said yet whether or not Luke Walton stays on as assistant coach?
  • Options

Gladstone said:

Randle gone.

Better than Javale, Lance or Rondo.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    LeBron needs to be surrounded by shooters to be most effective.

These signings make absolutely no sense at all