Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Deserves Owen: "Oregon will be back in the playoff soon"

13»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,697
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Sources said:

This is the kind of garbage that still pisses me off. I was lambasted for criticizing Helfrich consistently since the Tennessee home game in 2013. We won that game 59-14 mind you, but it was the sloppiest 45 point win I had ever seen. The confusion on the field was mind blowing.

Later that year it was also apparent that Helfrich had no idea how to get DeAnthony Thomas the football in space. Let that sink in...You have the most dynamic player in college football at the time, and our? head coach had no idea how to utilize him. This led to my referring Helfrich to the guy inheriting a Ferrari, and driving it regularly without changing it's oil.

My best friends during this time became acquaintances because they couldn't stand my "wrongful" distaste towards Helfrich, and I couldn't stand their unflinching support. Fast forward to a week after his firing, these same "friends" claimed they knew all along that Helfrich was in over his head.

To the HHB's, is this what the Ty and Sark years were like?

Pretty much. Helfrich is your Ty, and Taggert / Christobal is your Sark. The corollary is so spot on it's hilarious. A shit coach followed by a regime of sizzle and hype. This is why most here think Oregon is fucked.

I don’t see any real comparisons between UWs and UOs situation when their respective Rome burned. James’ team wasn’t exactly dominating when He left. Oregon’s was when Chipper left.

If you have to do the comparison though, Helfrich would be Oregon’s Lambo. Ty inherited a shitty program and made it the worst in the country. Lambo took a good program and made it mediocre, which more resembles Helfrich imo.

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Sources said:

This is the kind of garbage that still pisses me off. I was lambasted for criticizing Helfrich consistently since the Tennessee home game in 2013. We won that game 59-14 mind you, but it was the sloppiest 45 point win I had ever seen. The confusion on the field was mind blowing.

Later that year it was also apparent that Helfrich had no idea how to get DeAnthony Thomas the football in space. Let that sink in...You have the most dynamic player in college football at the time, and our? head coach had no idea how to utilize him. This led to my referring Helfrich to the guy inheriting a Ferrari, and driving it regularly without changing it's oil.

My best friends during this time became acquaintances because they couldn't stand my "wrongful" distaste towards Helfrich, and I couldn't stand their unflinching support. Fast forward to a week after his firing, these same "friends" claimed they knew all along that Helfrich was in over his head.

Pretty much. Helfrich is your Ty, and Taggert / Christobal is your Sark. The corollary is so spot on it's hilarious. A shit coach followed by a regime of sizzle and hype. This is why most here think Oregon is fucked.

I don’t see any real comparisons between UWs and UOs situation when their respective Rome burned. James’ team wasn’t exactly dominating when He left. Oregon’s was when Chipper left.

If you have to do the comparison though, Helfrich would be Oregon’s Lambo. Ty inherited a shitty program and made it the worst in the country. Lambo took a good program and made it mediocre, which more resembles Helfrich imo.
    UW won the national title in 1991. In October of 1992 they beat top 20 Stanford 41-7 to keep the #1 ranking. Then Billy Joe hit

James left a three time defending conference champion, two out of three Rose Bowl winner and one year removed from a natty

Mosster level post dude
    9-3 is a good team. Not a great one. They were heading in a downward trajectory with or without Lambo.
    Complete bullshit

Don;t be a simpleton
    I think Washington had been in a downward trajectory around the tim of the 86 or 87 (whatever) Sun Bowel loss to Alabama, where Cornelius Bennett finally convinced James that he had a big, strong and slow af team. There was also rumor he took a trip to his alma mater to see what Jimmy was cooking down there as well. That one may or may not be true. In any event, it took a few recruiting cycles, but that's when he started emphasizing speed all over the field. By 1990, it was working. I still say the real national championship, as I define it to be the two teams playing the best football at the end of the season, was the Miami team that absolutely destroyed Texas in the Cotton and Washington, which did almost the same to Iowa in the Rose (score of that game was not indicative - Washington was up 33 to 7 at half and coasted in the second half, with Iowa getting some junk time scoring).

So they were not on a downward trajectory in the early 90s ... quite the opposite. They were at the beginning of a new era, with a completely different style of play and could have owned the conference with it for years. There was really nobody in the Pac who was in a position to knock them off. Remember Wash whining about mercenaries or some such shit? That tells you where Washington was sitting. Consider, too, the roster of the 94 team Washington team. I don't think Washington has ever had a more talented 7-4 team in its history. That was talent DJ left behind. Imagine if a coach with an IQ were coaching that '94 team ....

Washington went down because of coaching. DJ left Lambo the keys to a sports car. He just really fucked it up.

I mean, blaming the players for losing to Air Force. Really dude? I've met him. Really, really nice man. But he was a classic example of the Peter Principle. Just like Gilby, he was really good at coaching a unit, but turrible with the whole program. It is yet another in an infinite line of examples that demonstrate clearly that there is a very unique skill involved in running a whole program that goes well beyond football IQ.
    The 1994 team had a shitty QB. If you have a shitty QB, you have a mediocre team. You are what your record is despite past glories. Don James had great runs earlier to be followed with only good runs before he left. Lambo was not left with some sort of dynasty. That so called dynasty lost 2/3 ACs. That’s really all you need to know about that.
    First, Damon Huard was not a shitty QB. He was actually one of the most gifted passers to come through UW.

Second, if you measure talent by how many players had NFL careers, then the 94 team could go toe to toe with the 91 team, and arguably had more success. The point I'm making is, despite that talent level, they underperformed. But the cupboards were hardly bare. DJ left Lambo with plenty, and it showed even as late as 94.

I guess it's the semantics about what "downward trajectory" and "dynasty" means. They were poised to be the top team in the Pac before a certain dipshit borrowed fuck-around money from another dipshit and the conference jumped on them in what would wind up being a series of events that led to their extended downfall. Whatever else we can say, Lambo inherited a pretty good situation and a whole lot of talent that he went on to mismanage. Bad coaches do that. I score that scenario slightly differently than a scenario where a program is fading. They weren't fading. They got blown up. Much of it was their own doing (they promoted Lambo), some was not (namely, the enthusiastic conference penalties).
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Sources said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Sources said:

UW won the national title in 1991. In October of 1992 they beat top 20 Stanford 41-7 to keep the #1 ranking. Then Billy Joe hit

James left a three time defending conference champion, two out of three Rose Bowl winner and one year removed from a natty

Mosster level post dude
    9-3 is a good team. Not a great one. They were heading in a downward trajectory with or without Lambo.
    Complete bullshit

Don;t be a simpleton
    I think Washington had been in a downward trajectory around the tim of the 86 or 87 (whatever) Sun Bowel loss to Alabama, where Cornelius Bennett finally convinced James that he had a big, strong and slow af team. There was also rumor he took a trip to his alma mater to see what Jimmy was cooking down there as well. That one may or may not be true. In any event, it took a few recruiting cycles, but that's when he started emphasizing speed all over the field. By 1990, it was working. I still say the real national championship, as I define it to be the two teams playing the best football at the end of the season, was the Miami team that absolutely destroyed Texas in the Cotton and Washington, which did almost the same to Iowa in the Rose (score of that game was not indicative - Washington was up 33 to 7 at half and coasted in the second half, with Iowa getting some junk time scoring).

So they were not on a downward trajectory in the early 90s ... quite the opposite. They were at the beginning of a new era, with a completely different style of play and could have owned the conference with it for years. There was really nobody in the Pac who was in a position to knock them off. Remember Wash whining about mercenaries or some such shit? That tells you where Washington was sitting. Consider, too, the roster of the 94 team Washington team. I don't think Washington has ever had a more talented 7-4 team in its history. That was talent DJ left behind. Imagine if a coach with an IQ were coaching that '94 team ....

Washington went down because of coaching. DJ left Lambo the keys to a sports car. He just really fucked it up.

I mean, blaming the players for losing to Air Force. Really dude? I've met him. Really, really nice man. But he was a classic example of the Peter Principle. Just like Gilby, he was really good at coaching a unit, but turrible with the whole program. It is yet another in an infinite line of examples that demonstrate clearly that there is a very unique skill involved in running a whole program that goes well beyond football IQ.
    The 1994 team had a shitty QB. If you have a shitty QB, you have a mediocre team. You are what your record is despite past glories. Don James had great runs earlier to be followed with only good runs before he left. Lambo was not left with some sort of dynasty. That so called dynasty lost 2/3 ACs. That’s really all you need to know about that.
    90: UW 55, WSU 10
    91: UW 56, WSU 21
    92: WSU 42, UW 23

Maff is TUFF.
    Oh sorry. I moved the posts to 92-94. I figured if I got one Don James year in there, I’d get away with it. Not in this house though.

https://youtu.be/TpKxH2dDqEM
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Sources said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Sources said:

Mosster level post dude
    Complete bullshit

Don;t be a simpleton

90: UW 55, WSU 10
    91: UW 56, WSU 21
    92: WSU 42, UW 23

Maff is TUFF.
    I'd say his math is above average for his alma mater though.