Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

You can now play up to four games without burning a redshirt

NCAA did something not shitty for once. This could make some of our early season games watchable again.

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    Now every year you can give the backup qb more snaps instead of running the football to run out the clock
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

Now every year you can give the backup qb more snaps instead of running the football to run out the clock

That's is an underrated part of Pete's success. And Don James in the late 80s/early 90s. When you blow out several PAC 12 teams a year, your freshman get more playing time before it's needed. This will help UW as a result.

One part of Sark's failures was he couldn't blow out a PAC 12 team, and throw in the combo that he was relying on freshman to start with no experience. Whereas Pete has many sophomores starting that did get playing time as a freshman. And now will have 2 years of playing time. Especially with how seniors decide to stay around rather than go into the draft.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    2001400ex said:

That's is an underrated part of Pete's success. And Don James in the late 80s/early 90s. When you blow out several PAC 12 teams a year, your freshman get more playing time before it's needed. This will help UW as a result.

One part of Sark's failures was he couldn't blow out a PAC 12 team, and throw in the combo that he was relying on freshman to start with no experience. Whereas Pete has many sophomores starting that did get playing time as a freshman. And now will have 2 years of playing time. Especially with how seniors decide to stay around rather than go into the draft.
    Youre misunderstanding me
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,342 Swaye's Wigwam
    This needs to be 5 years of eligibility....everyone can play for 5 years.

Get rid of the redshirt forever.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    HuskyJW said:

This needs to be 5 years of eligibility....everyone can play for 5 years.

Get rid of the redshirt forever.

I think this is perfect for us, so let’s not change it until we start recruiting better.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    This is really good for us. We’ll have a player or two come up the ranks and ready to play at some point during the year that right now we wouldn’t want to burn the RS. This will also put a carrot out there for RS players that they can still get snaps and contribute.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,709 Swaye's Wigwam
    Can't wait to see our true freshman team destroy Oregon St. this year.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,508 Founders Club
    UW used to play a JV game before home games. My dad would be there to watch it
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    This is a start. I don't like the game thing because one play counts as a game. If they really want to make it for the kids give them 16 quarters. This rule could technically mean a kid gets four plays in a game. That's kind of meaningless.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Mosster47 said:

This is a start. I don't like the game thing because one play counts as a game. If they really want to make it for the kids give them 16 quarters. This rule could technically mean a kid gets four plays in a game. That's kind of meaningless.

Hire smart coaches and you won't spend time worrying about such things
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Pointless argument like always. If you break it down by quarters you could get kids on special teams in non blow out games across the season.

In almost every scenario imaginable a kid would get more playing time with 16 quarters compared to just any amount of play in 4 games. Agreed?
    Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Pointless argument like always. If you break it down by quarters you could get kids on special teams in non blow out games across the season.

In almost every scenario imaginable a kid would get more playing time with 16 quarters compared to just any amount of play in 4 games. Agreed?
    Of course. But why limit it to 16 quarters? At that point just let them play the whole season.

IDGAF either way, I just know hypothesizing a kid only gets 4 plays out of this is a complete waste of time. That's never going to actually happen.
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Of course. But why limit it to 16 quarters? At that point just let them play the whole season.

IDGAF either way, I just know hypothesizing a kid only gets 4 plays out of this is a complete waste of time. That's never going to actually happen.
    Just say you lost and move on. 4 games = 16 quarters.
    Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

16 quarters = 240 minutes. Each freshman should be allowed to play 240 minutes without burning their redshirt. Otherwise a kid could technically only get 16 plays in if you limit it to quarters. That's kind of meaningless.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

16 quarters = 240 minutes. Each freshman should be allowed to play 240 minutes without burning their redshirt. Otherwise a kid could technically only get 16 plays in if you limit it to quarters. That's kind of meaningless.
    *14,400 second