Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    They wont be favored vs. Auburn outside a Duke lacrosse scandal.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    No way we win the Pac-12. Maybe the N.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

We (!) are winning the Pac
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

Until we beat an actually talented team that is mildly well-coached and not fully imploding (see UCLA last year), I don't buy it.

This year we are going to have to up our game considerably to beat UCLA down there, Utah on the road and Stanford at home. None of those games are games we should feel confident about. Even if somehow we manage to take the Jakey B factor out of those games (UCLA seems primed to give Jakey a 11-23 performance, to me) and win, we will get stomped by USC in the championship game.

We are shrivel dicks until we aren't.

I personally don't see why there is so much hype around us this year. I think people are sort of saying 'oh, well, now they have a Sr. QB so they will be great!'

Unfortunately, I see a ton of holes. Our offense is going to be absolute shit unless we completely re-tool it. Our top WR is Aaron Fuller (who dreams he could one day be Braxton Berrios) and our offensive line is a fucking nightmare. This is the piece where I don't see the optimism.

We are going to get kicked in the dick at Auburn (that is a nightmare matchup for us) and we cannot afford 1 injury on the OL. We have no one at WR, despite having an offense that will inevitably throw to set up the run.

If Bush institutes a common-sense 'hey, look at this personnel!' approach, we can definitely win the Pac... but I don't think he will and I don't think we will.

We have the following major issues:

Our QB sucks: especially in critical situations and he is incapable of making the 6-7 plays you need to make in close games to win... he may make 3 all season.
    Our OL sucks: we cannot pass block in the interior.
    Our WRs suck: we have talent, but we will play the worst players because our offense is too complicated.
    Our DL will try to rotate 6 and we only have 3 (Gaines, Johnson, Levi).
    We have no pass rush: Benning and Amandre suck until they don't. Bowman can pass rush, but can't play the run.
    BBK is a starter: if he doesn't get pushed out of the way and manages to make contact, he always falls backwards 2-3 yards.
    Myles Bryant is a starter: hopefully he won't be, but we love practice players.

To me, I think this is potentially an 8-9 win team. Losses: Auburn, @UCLA, @Utah and Oregon on the road or Stanford at home.

Last year, we should've lost at home to Utah because our offense is fucking retarded. Our offense is retarded until it's not.
    If we beat Auburn, we could go 12 and Owen. But reality is we'll shit the bed a game or 2 and be a 10 or 11 win team like the last 2 years.

Kwat has shown he can lose players to the NFL and still improve on defense, so I'm not worried there. Even with white and nerdy as our MLB, we still had one of the best defenses in the country.

My main concern is the first point, the offense, and for pretty much the same reason as you. SmithFS would just run the offense he wants to run. The only change would be when Pete would tell him to just run the fucking ball (see 2016 Pac 12 champ game). I am hoping Bush comes in and we have a different offense based on the other teams weakness. Including Auburn. If we come in the game with the same thought process as the Penn State game when Jake can just sit and throw, we'll lose. Same against Stanford. Those teams we need to change up our passing game to take what the defense gives us.
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    edited May 2018
    Let's not forget that Gaskin is a fucking senior this year. I'm expecting a magic season and that he will be Pac 12 offensive play of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmXgpq4o7F0
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,577
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When you play in a conference as weak as the Pac-12, winning the league is always a possibility if you have a good team. We have a GOOD team. I expect us to lose the opener and drive the perception of the conference down even further. I think we get revenge on Stanford and beat everyone else in conference, except at UCLA. We always lose at UCLA. Maybe we win the CCG, but we definitely lose our bowl game against some team from the south. Bama repeats.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    All of you faggots are forgetting the elephant in the room
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    @Dennis_DeYoung already has me convinced that Bush sucks and should be fired and he hasn't even called a play yet. FYFMFE
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dnc said:

Until we beat an actually talented team that is mildly well-coached and not fully imploding (see UCLA last year), I don't buy it.

This year we are going to have to up our game considerably to beat UCLA down there, Utah on the road and Stanford at home. None of those games are games we should feel confident about. Even if somehow we manage to take the Jakey B factor out of those games (UCLA seems primed to give Jakey a 11-23 performance, to me) and win, we will get stomped by USC in the championship game.

I personally don't see why there is so much hype around us this year. I think people are sort of saying 'oh, well, now they have a Sr. QB so they will be great!'

Unfortunately, I see a ton of holes. Our offense is going to be absolute shit unless we completely re-tool it. Our top WR is Aaron Fuller (who dreams he could one day be Braxton Berrios) and our offensive line is a fucking nightmare. This is the piece where I don't see the optimism.

We are going to get kicked in the dick at Auburn (that is a nightmare matchup for us) and we cannot afford 1 injury on the OL. We have no one at WR, despite having an offense that will inevitably throw to set up the run.

If Bush institutes a common-sense 'hey, look at this personnel!' approach, we can definitely win the Pac... but I don't think he will and I don't think we will.

Our QB sucks: especially in critical situations and he is incapable of making the 6-7 plays you need to make in close games to win... he may make 3 all season.
    Our WRs suck: we have talent, but we will play the worst players because our offense is too complicated.
    We have no pass rush: Benning and Amandre suck until they don't. Bowman can pass rush, but can't play the run.
    BBK is a starter: if he doesn't get pushed out of the way and manages to make contact, he always falls backwards 2-3 yards.

To me, I think this is potentially an 8-9 win team. Losses: Auburn, @UCLA, @Utah and Oregon on the road or Stanford at home.

Last year, we should've lost at home to Utah because our offense is fucking retarded. Our offense is retarded until it's not.
    I think you are right in terms of the losses, but one thing worth pointing out is this: Senior quarterbacks and their teams, particularly in the PAC, have success. Especially 4-year starters.

Last year, off the top of my head, Wazzu was the only team with a senior QB, and they were ranked in front of UW in the CFP rankings until we? totally dominated them and ruined their season (Go DWAGS!!!)

The year before, Sefo Luifau and Colorado made it to the PAC championship out of nowhere. Davis Webb won Cal 5 games. Without Webb that Cal team probably wins 2, maybe 3.

2 years ago, Hogan and Stanford demolished Iowa in the Rose Bowl (obviously McCaffrey played a huge role in that success as well). Vernon Adams made a not good Oregon team stay in the rankings all year. Cody Kessler and the Trojans were obviously overrated as usual, but won the South. Travis Wilson led Utah to a 10-3 record.

The year before, Oregon obviously made it to the playoff (Mariota was ridiculous all his years, though).

Recent history says the Huskies could be the beneficiaries of that trend. That being said...

Browning is who he is at this point, which is a guy who won't win it for you even when the box score says otherwise and hopefully won't lose it for you. If the running game isn't going in those 5 potential losses you listed, they will be 5 actual losses. And Pete needs to fix that.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited May 2018
    Baseman, DDY and Pitchfork are right. Everyone else in this thread is wrong.
  • Options

dnc said:

I think you are right in terms of the losses, but one thing worth pointing out is this: Senior quarterbacks and their teams, particularly in the PAC, have success. Especially 4-year starters.

Last year, off the top of my head, Wazzu was the only team with a senior QB, and they were ranked in front of UW in the CFP rankings until we? totally dominated them and ruined their season (Go DWAGS!!!)

The year before, Sefo Luifau and Colorado made it to the PAC championship out of nowhere. Davis Webb won Cal 5 games. Without Webb that Cal team probably wins 2, maybe 3.

2 years ago, Hogan and Stanford demolished Iowa in the Rose Bowl (obviously McCaffrey played a huge role in that success as well). Vernon Adams made a not good Oregon team stay in the rankings all year. Cody Kessler and the Trojans were obviously overrated as usual, but won the South. Travis Wilson led Utah to a 10-3 record.

The year before, Oregon obviously made it to the playoff (Mariota was ridiculous all his years, though).

Recent history says the Huskies could be the beneficiaries of that trend. That being said...

Browning is who he is at this point, which is a guy who won't win it for you even when the box score says otherwise and hopefully won't lose it for you. If the running game isn't going in those 5 potential losses you listed, they will be 5 actual losses. And Pete needs to fix that.
    lolwut - so Browning's important characteristic is that he's a senior, not that he sucks? Remember when Keith Price was a senior? Did he magically shake the yips and play great? F no. He continued to devolve. As Jakey will.

You need a QB to make 5-7 good plays to win in hard games. Last year, Jakey B couldn't make a fucking play against AS FUCKING U. He made about 10 plays for Stanford in that game and not one for us.

I love that this stuff always outs Doogs. You know you are a Doog if you think we will be 'fine' with Jake. Jake prevents us from winning big games. Unless there is a major overhaul to the offense, that will only get worse this year. The 'senior QB' narrative is for casual fans and talk radio bullshit.

Vernon Adams was a fucking baller, by the way. If we had Vernon the last two years we might be talking about having back to back Natty appearances. That guy is a fucking great player and 50,000x the QB Jake is.

ATBSJBS
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    when will you dopes realize its petermans offense and you wont be any different with smith gone

can take the peterman out of the boise, but cant take the boise out of the peterman
  • Options

when will you dopes realize its petermans offense and you wont be any different with smith gone

can take the peterman out of the boise, but cant take the boise out of the peterman

Agree.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dennis just tries really hard to be negative. He obsesses over recruiting while throwing player development out the window. I, for one, trust the coaches. We have a decent shot at winning the conference. It's the Pac-12. Dennis is a fag.
  • Options
    HUSKYFANATICHUSKYFANATIC Member Posts: 1,651

You fuckin smart
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

Dennis just tries really hard to be negative. He obsesses over recruiting while throwing player development out the window. I, for one, trust the coaches. We have a decent shot at winning the conference. It's the Pac-12. Dennis is a fag.

What a bunch of fucking Doogs. Either we are trying to be Bama or not. How's Bama's player development you stupid piece of shit?

Looks like it's going ok from here, but I guess you're the expert.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2018

PurpleJ said:

What a bunch of fucking Doogs. Either we are trying to be Bama or not. How's Bama's player development you stupid piece of shit?

Looks like it's going ok from here, but I guess you're the expert.
    We aren't Bama, but we aren't a 8-9 win team. We're somewhere in the middle, and we benefit by playing in a shit conference. I get it man. You're edgy!