Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Triple Double For Tony Wroten

2»

Comments

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    The only thing that held Terrence Ross back was Terrence Ross. When he took over a game I hadn't seen anything like that since Brandon Roy. He just for some reason would get really hesitant after a couple missed shots or a turnover.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited November 2013

The only thing that held Terrence Ross back was Terrence Ross. When he took over a game I hadn't seen anything like that since Brandon Roy. He just for some reason would get really hesitant after a couple missed shots or a turnover.

It took Roy until his senior year before he really knew how to turn it on consistently, too. Well, maybe the beginning of his junior year before he tore the meniscus. But sometimes it takes a kid awhile to learn how good he really is. Pondexter's another example.

Once the lightbulb went off for Roy he was incredible to watch, both at UW and in the league. I'm starting to worry Ross won't be getting that chance, he's buried behind Derozen and Gay.
  • In the NBA sometimes it's all about your situation. For Wroten being in Memphis was a bad spot for him. In Philly he is getting his chance to prove himself. Hawes struggled in Sacramento but made a name for himself in Philly.

Nate Robinson has had an up and down career as well depending on where he goes.

I think Ross needs to be in a situation where that franchise will let him flourish and Toronto obviously isn't it.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326

In the NBA sometimes it's all about your situation. For Wroten being in Memphis was a bad spot for him. In Philly he is getting his chance to prove himself. Hawes struggled in Sacramento but made a name for himself in Philly.

Nate Robinson has had an up and down career as well depending on where he goes.

I think Ross needs to be in a situation where that franchise will let him flourish and Toronto obviously isn't it.

the rudy gay trade was a pretty clear message of what they think of him
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    dnc said:

Wroten was not terrible. He was an All Pac 12 player. I don't agree about him deserving the criticism. He had many flaws, but was still pretty good.

Ho. Lee. Shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McBRBkYqHxc

I could not possibly disagree more. Wroten's talent was evident, but I've never seen a more frustrating player. I couldn't believe Romar gave him 30 minutes a game.
    I was very critical of wroten. When your team needs a win badly to make the tournament you cannot miss 4 straight ft's. U just can't. He was an overall microcosm of that team, potential, but didn't give their 100%. On the other hand, who did you want romar to give those minutes to instead?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    dhdawg said:

dnc said:

Wroten was not terrible. He was an All Pac 12 player. I don't agree about him deserving the criticism. He had many flaws, but was still pretty good.

Ho. Lee. Shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McBRBkYqHxc

I could not possibly disagree more. Wroten's talent was evident, but I've never seen a more frustrating player. I couldn't believe Romar gave him 30 minutes a game.
    I was very critical of wroten. When your team needs a win badly to make the tournament you cannot miss 4 straight ft's. U just can't. He was an overall microcosm of that team, potential, but didn't give their 100%. On the other hand, who did you want romar to give those minutes to instead?
    Good point. I forgot that was the team with only four guards/wings. You had to give Gaddy, Ross, Wilcox and Wroten 120 minutes a game between them.

I guess I would say he should never have gone into the year with 11 scholarship players, especially when two of them were Hikeem Stewart and Martin Breunig. And he definitely shouldn't have let Scott Suggs redshirt if it was possible for him to play again, which of course it was.

Romar's mismanagement of the roster bungled that year as much as anything else. One more competent guard or wing and that team could have been a force.

I miss Romar math.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    You gotta remember that the NBA is a veterans league. Most guys bounce around for awhile before finding their niche unless they are a star. All the best teams are full of guys with experience. I think Terrance Ross can be a less wild JR Smith in time. He's a great athlete, good in transition, and a streaky shooter. On the right team, he could be a good #3 scorer or 6th man. He will never be assertive enough to be a star, but he can be a very good role player if he works on his defense and accepts his role. The only problem is the league is stocked with 3 and D swingmen.

I think Wroten will eventually be a borderline all star. His skillset is unique. Not many guys are as fast as him, and very few can get to the hoop like he can. The only question is if he can play in control and not jack up too many jumpers. He's shooting four 3's a game, and only connecting on 25%. He needs to abandon that part of his game like Tony Parker did when he was a young player.