Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite Jam Band?

2»

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Allman Brothers and it's not close.

I don't like jam bands as a rule. The dead trigger my narcolepsy. The Allmans were tight and talented as fuck though and never bore me.
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Dardanus said:

Predictably, Yellow Snow is trying to sideswipe an otherwise lukewarm thread. It's unfortunate, but expected.

At least Race had a solid take. Plus Swaye came with a positive contribution, even with his limited capacity. God bless him for that.

I don't follow.
    That's obvious.

Grading a jam band by its number of chart-toppers is like judging an AH-64 by its air-to-air ability. Sure, some have sidewinders, and that's great, but the main purpose is to destroy the enemy on the ground.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2018
    Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

Predictably, Yellow Snow is trying to sideswipe an otherwise lukewarm thread. It's unfortunate, but expected.

At least Race had a solid take. Plus Swaye came with a positive contribution, even with his limited capacity. God bless him for that.

I don't follow.
    That's obvious.

Grading a jam band by its number of chart-toppers is like judging an AH-64 by its air-to-air ability. Sure, some have sidewinders, and that's great, but the main purpose is to destroy the enemy on the ground.
    Christ Gallipoli, you're dense on this topic. I never said chart toppers. You think the Grateful Dead, the greatest of all jam bands, had a bunch of chart toppers? They had one top 20 single in the 80s and that was it. But they were great songwriters none the less, something a band like Phish is not.

I'll tell you what - if you play your cards right I'll let you come over and flip over Mountain Jam on the turntable halfway through 32 mins. And you can get me a beer out of the fridge well you're at it.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I guess it depends on what your tastes are ... I’m personally a big fan of good musicianship

I’m a big fan of a band that can play for 10+ minutes and you aren’t waiting to go to the next song and wanting to cue up Dave Chapelle’s Wrap It Up skit

I definitely enjoy listening to DMB and The Central Park Album has some pretty good longer takes that I enjoy listening to and is a good proxy to seeing them in concert.

I haven’t seen them in concert but I can definitely see myself enjoying a strong 10-15 jam from Chicago with the different instrumentals being focused.

For anybody that hasn’t seen them live Id put the Zac Brown Band in that category. Their last tour had a version of the Allman Bros Whipping Post that was strong. They also were doing a regular dueling guitars last year that was strong. Overall, they are strong players that you can jam out to.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,573
    I've seen Zac brown band

Was pretty fun
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Who knew that a forum for music would create a new bored feud?

Yellowsnow vs. Dardanus

FWIW, I have the attack helicopter in this one. I am also known for limited capacity.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Who knew that a forum for music would create a new bored feud?

Yellowsnow vs. Dardanus

FWIW, I have the attack helicopter in this one. I am also known for limited capacity.

Limited capacity indeed. ISAFNRC.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

I don't follow.
    That's obvious.

Christ Gallipoli, you're dense on this topic. I never said chart toppers. You think the Grateful Dead, the greatest of all jam bands, had a bunch of chart toppers? They had one top 20 single in the 80s and that was it. But they were great songwriters none the less, something a band like Phish is not.

I'll tell you what - if you play your cards right I'll let you come over and flip over Mountain Jam on the turntable halfway through 32 mins. And you can get me a beer out of the fridge well you're at it.

(Vanilla won't let me poast images)
    Well, I gotta give a chin for the effort and for being a fellow vinyl guy. Looks like you just might be qualified to be my apprentice record flipper, but please no 3M products on the grooves.

I'll tell you what @Dardanus - I'm always open to have my mind be changed and like any of us, my musical palate has evolved over time. Give me your top pick for a live album by any jam band in the Top 30 years and I will have a detailed listen.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

I don't follow.
    That's obvious.

Well, I gotta give a chin for the effort and for being a fellow vinyl guy. Looks like you just might be qualified to be my apprentice record flipper, but please no 3M products on the grooves.

I'll tell you what @Dardanus - I'm always open to have my mind be changed and like any of us, my musical palate has evolved over time. Give me your top pick for a live album by any jam band in the Top 30 years and I will have a detailed listen.
    Last 30 years I mean. I assume you're a Phish guy, right?
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Tequilla said:

I guess it depends on what your tastes are ... I’m personally a big fan of good musicianship

I’m a big fan of a band that can play for 10+ minutes and you aren’t waiting to go to the next song and wanting to cue up Dave Chapelle’s Wrap It Up skit

I definitely enjoy listening to DMB and The Central Park Album has some pretty good longer takes that I enjoy listening to and is a good proxy to seeing them in concert.

I haven’t seen them in concert but I can definitely see myself enjoying a strong 10-15 jam from Chicago with the different instrumentals being focused.

For anybody that hasn’t seen them live Id put the Zac Brown Band in that category. Their last tour had a version of the Allman Bros Whipping Post that was strong. They also were doing a regular dueling guitars last year that was strong. Overall, they are strong players that you can jam out to.

@Tequilla is the 9 minute bongo solo of poasters
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

I don't follow.
    That's obvious.

I couldn't care less what bands you or anyone enjoy. Like whatever you want, I'm not offended. Some of your reasoning was contradictory was all.

The concept of a "jam band" is a band focused on unique live performances. The shows contain improvisation, although the improv itself (aka jamming) is not necessarily the main ingredient. It all comes back to live performances of the music, which can vary greatly in style/genre.

Because the musical style can vary so much, I wouldn't expect anyone to like ALL jam bands. Jam band is not so much a genre as it is a philosophy. Jam bands can be influenced by rock, blues, jazz, electronic, country, bluegrass, folk, etc. Musically, the "jam band" label is mostly meaningless.

Since it sounds like you're interested, I would recommend "Slip, Stitch and Pass" by Phish.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc_PpVQS6Ts

Yes, I am a fan of Phish, and in terms of talent I think they are a cut above the similar "modern" jam bands like Widespread Panic, Umphreys McGee, Moe., String Cheese Incident, etc.

Just my opinion though. There are many Panic fans who hate Phish, but they are really only fans of cocaine. NTTAWWT

As a Dead and ABB fan you might check out Govt. Mule and The Derek Trucks Band.

There are also smaller bands who are incredibly creative and fun to go see. They may not be as talented as the bigger bands, but still have redeeming qualities. You should take another look at Joe Russo's Almost Dead - they are fun as hell.

No adhesives were used on the record - it was only a dumb piece of paper.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

I don't follow.
    That's obvious.

I couldn't care less what bands you or anyone enjoy. Like whatever you want, I'm not offended. Some of your reasoning was contradictory was all.

The concept of a "jam band" is a band focused on unique live performances. The shows contain improvisation, although the improv itself (aka jamming) is not necessarily the main ingredient. It all comes back to live performances of the music, which can vary greatly in style/genre.

Because the musical style can vary so much, I wouldn't expect anyone to like ALL jam bands. Jam band is not so much a genre as it is a philosophy. Jam bands can be influenced by rock, blues, jazz, electronic, country, bluegrass, folk, etc. Musically, the "jam band" label is mostly meaningless.

Since it sounds like you're interested, I would recommend "Slip, Stitch and Pass" by Phish.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc_PpVQS6Ts

Yes, I am a fan of Phish, and in terms of talent I think they are a cut above the similar "modern" jam bands like Widespread Panic, Umphreys McGee, Moe., String Cheese Incident, etc.

Just my opinion though. There are many Panic fans who hate Phish, but they are really only fans of cocaine. NTTAWWT

As a Dead and ABB fan you might check out Govt. Mule and The Derek Trucks Band.

There are also smaller bands who are incredibly creative and fun to go see. They may not be as talented as the bigger bands, but still have redeeming qualities. You should take another look at Joe Russo's Almost Dead - they are fun as hell.

No adhesives were used on the record - it was only a dumb piece of paper.
    Truth be told, I don't really hate on Phish. I think Trey is phenomenal guitarist and one of the best alive. His noodling on a song like "Meatstick" is top shelf. Heck, I thought he did a pretty great job playing Jerry's parts (and singing too) for the 50th anniversary 2015 Dead shows. I saw them live at the Gorge back in 1998 (might have been '97). Alas, their songwriting - in spite of their talents as a live act- never resonated with me in the same way as that of the Dead or Allmans Brothers.

I've been getting more into Govt. Mule over the past year or so.