Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Contemporary Policing

Comments

• WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,797
    To paraphrase that article: "cops aren't violent enough"
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,000
    edited February 2018

They were pretty fucking violent and physically fit during the 1980s in Miami. They were also well prepared to use their weapons, which they did enthusiastically. Miami was violent as fucking all get out back in those days. Having lots of 'bad ass' cops didn't help.

Knee-jerk reactions to stress and strife are common, especially so to simple-minded people.

The rationale goes supposes that the past was somehow better than the present, and all the answers to today's problems are to be found in "common sense" (read: simplistic and often stupid and exaggerated) solutions from the way we were. Cue Redford and Streisand.

My father (and to some extent) mother-in law fall to this fallacy. They were raised in the late 40s and 50s, and spent the 60s as young adults aghast at all the hippy-sponsored change.

You cannot convince the man that anything bad ever happened before 1965.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,033 Founders Club

They were pretty fucking violent and physically fit during the 1980s in Miami. They were also well prepared to use their weapons, which they did enthusiastically. Miami was violent as fucking all get out back in those days. Having lots of 'bad ass' cops didn't help.

Knee-jerk reactions to stress and strife are common, especially so to simple-minded people.

The rationale goes supposes that the past was somehow better than the present, and all the answers to today's problems are to be found in "common sense" (read: simplistic and often stupid and exaggerated) solutions from the way we were. Cue Redford and Streisand.

My father (and to some extent) mother-in law fall to this fallacy. They were raised in the late 40s and 50s, and spent the 60s as young adults aghast at all the hippy-sponsored change.

Obviously your parents were not Cane fans then.

One of their many moral failings.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,033 Founders Club

Sins of the father...something...something...

When I read this post all I could think of was Al Pacino about the get chain sawed in Miami Beach by the fucking Columbians.

Sins of the father...something...something...

When I read this post all I could think of was Al Pacino about the get chain sawed in Miami Beach by the fucking Columbians.
    Don't think that shit didn't happen, or that Scar Face was that much of a stretch. Miami was fucking crazy in those days. Probably as close as we've come to the 1920s in Chi town.

The thing I remember the most that still blows (pardon the pun) me away was the number of already wealthy people wanting to get into the drug game. You had all manner of wealthy entrepreneurs and professionals getting busted trying to bring in the shit by pleasure boat. My uncle was a Marine Patrol down there at the time. The shit they confiscated ... boats, engines ... amazing. The Marine Patrol had to keep up with their targets and thus get faster and faster boats so the could give chase.

Miami was nuts at that time. And, no, you didn't want to fuck with the Colombians or the Central Americans. A breed apart.