Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Benning

TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
It's obviously disappointing that the staff failed to land Martin, Johnson, or any other edge rusher in this otherwise stellar recruiting class.

It's been pointed out that the only young guys on the roster with real pass-rushing upside are Tryon and Williams. But who knows how close either one is to being ready to take on a significant role?

Bowman (5.5) and Bartlett (4.0) led the team in sacks last year. You can debate whether these guys deserve the "try-hard" label sometimes used here. But at least in Bowman's case, the consensus view is that he has probably already come close to maxing out his pass-rushing potential.

Warren got some action at BUCK last year, but his future seems to be on offense. In some sets, UW lined up 3 DTs, and we may see more of this in the future. Guys like Johnson (3.5) and Onwuzurike (2.0) may see their sack totals rise a bit.

But if UW is going to significantly improve its pass rush in 2018, the big gain in productivity is going to have to come from Potoa'e (3.0). Benning has two more years of eligibility. He was a high profile recruit, with all the size and raw talent you'd want. Letuligasenoa looks ready to play right away, so it probably won't be necessary to bulk Benning up and move him inside. Instead, UW needs Benning to just embrace the edge rusher role, maybe even shed five pounds. I pointed out after the Fiesta Bowl that he had shown some flashes, including a spin move I hadn't noticed before. This team needs Benning to have a productive offseason so he can make a Mathis-like jump in 2018.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

WTF TT?...Potato is NOT a pass rusher. He's a strong side DE, and an ok player. Lacks quicks, get-off, PR moves and brute strength and hands required to get to the QB...And NO, little Bowman has not fucking maxed out. Just because he was a walk-on Whitey doesnt mean a damn thing...Watch a game or two, u might learn something.

Someone will emerge to help passrush, but will not be the strength of this defernse. Might be a position change in Spring. I like Otton at that position. We'll see. Guy is an athlete, playmaker...came up big seemingly every game his senior year. Hope he gets his shot however unlikely because of his skill at TE

Good chit Pup.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I think Amandre breaks out this season. Dude has all the physical attributes but needed a year to learn "college football"
  • Options
    Captain_InsanoCaptain_Insano Member Posts: 156
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper
    You just said to rely on benning for our pass rush 76? Uh, did you notice he switched positions this year buttfuck? Of course you didnt. Puddyasses like you come and go 77...you dont do much coming so ill assume you'll be like the goer's, however unnoticed!

Oh, you think our pass rushh suffered a little because we lost both nfl corners? No, that had nothing to do with it
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

WTF TT?...Potato is NOT a pass rusher. He's a strong side DE, and an ok player. Lacks quicks, get-off, PR moves and brute strength and hands required to get to the QB...And NO, little Bowman has not fucking maxed out. Just because he was a walk-on Whitey doesnt mean a damn thing...Watch a game or two, u might learn something.

Someone will emerge to help passrush, but will not be the strength of this defernse. Might be a position change in Spring. I like Otton at that position. We'll see. Guy is an athlete, playmaker...came up big seemingly every game his senior year. Hope he gets his shot however unlikely because of his skill at TE

The solution is to switch Cade Otton to defense? Jesus Christ our pass rush really is fucked.
  • Options
    BlastDoorBlastDoor Member Posts: 711
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    It's interesting to see if they try to move Benning to a DT spot. With one more season of rhino cum, he would have the necessary weight. His skills seem more suited for a DT anyway.

But it should be noted he was the only outside pass-rusher that played decently against Penn State, so, who knows?
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I can’t recall but I don’t remember Mathis tearing shit up as a freshman sophomore or Junior. In fact his first few games as a senior weren’t so great. LIPO, trust these motherfuckers to actually improve his skill set and stop thinking this is Sarks program