Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I heard Teslas were garbage

2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
The full list (owner satisfaction scores out of 100):

1. Tesla (90)

2. Porsche (85)

3. Genesis (81)

4. Chrysler (78)

5. Audi (76)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/12/21/tesla-porsche-top-consumer-reports-automotive-satisfaction-survey/969301001/

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Swaye said:
    Tl,Dr Tesla is ridiculously overvalued. Obvious statements are obvious.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Valuation of Tesla, inability to mass produce product to fulfill orders, incredibly insecure buyers, and canibalization of high profit models by the T-3 are the only topics I recall that we’ve laughed about in this forum.
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:
    It's more than that though. It has nothing to do with your post either (re: are they quality cars or not). It's just an interesting article about the fundamental headwinds Tesla is facing. I figured I'd share.
    Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:
    It's more than that though. It has nothing to do with your post either (re: are they quality cars or not). It's just an interesting article about the fundamental headwinds Tesla is facing. I figured I'd share.
    Yeah reality is it was a good read. I skimmed it. Tesla is an interesting company and we need companies who innovate to push the old companies like Ford and GM who just want to keep doing what they do. But Tesla is very early, battery technology isn't where it needs to be for it to be successful. But we'll get there quicker with companies like Tesla who push the envelope.
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:
    Yeah reality is it was a good read. I skimmed it. Tesla is an interesting company and we need companies who innovate to push the old companies like Ford and GM who just want to keep doing what they do. But Tesla is very early, battery technology isn't where it needs to be for it to be successful. But we'll get there quicker with companies like Tesla who push the envelope.
    Rare case where we agree. I am not going to go buy a Tesla, but I see why people do. They look cool. They are neat technology. Hopefully the tech matures, and the infrastructure surrounding it, and then in 20 years I can go buy a full electric Jeep (that is super capable) or whatever. But for people to have bought that stock up to levels beyond GM or Ford???? It's insane. This is a very immature market in it's infancy. Anybody buying that stock now is insane.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:
    You wouldn't know reality if it ear holed you.

But nice flail though.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club
    edited December 2017
    Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:
    I read it and agree. I actually like Teslas, but there is a lot of truth in the summary paragraph.

Tesla stock is a social movement that Musk works hard to cultivate with his reality distortion field. As he has cycled through disruption stories, the reality distortion has worked well — at least for those who’ve drunk the Kool-Aid. But in the end, Musk has chosen a space with incumbents with strong capabilities, who, far from ignoring technological challenges, are racing to meet them. He cannot disrupt competitive reality.

Just wait until Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ford, GM, Chrysler, ...... get their zone reads down. Bottom line is that when/if the space Tesla is currently occupying becomes economically attractive on a mass scale, the collective capabilities and economies of scale that it's potential competitors possess will most likely be too much for it to bear. Without massive government subsidies, Tesla would already be dead. Anyway, IMO, if the big boys decide to play in that space for realz, Tesla will likely have to hang it's hat on either being an offeror of a boutique item, or being absorbed.
    edited December 2017
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:
    General Motors said Thursday that by the end of 2019 it will be mass-producing fully autonomous electric cars.
    The cars will be used for a new GM ride-sharing service which, the automaker said, could ultimately be bigger than its current business of simply selling cars.
    It's the first step toward a massive shift in its business -- moving away from selling cars to customers to selling rides in autonomous cars.

Ford, Volvo, BMW, same thing.

Biggest difference between these companies and Tesla? All of them have figured out mass production. All of them understand what is necessary to turn a profit.
    doogie said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:
    General Motors said Thursday that by the end of 2019 it will be mass-producing fully autonomous electric cars.
    The cars will be used for a new GM ride-sharing service which, the automaker said, could ultimately be bigger than its current business of simply selling cars.
    It's the first step toward a massive shift in its business -- moving away from selling cars to customers to selling rides in autonomous cars.

Ford, Volvo, BMW, same thing.

Biggest difference between these companies and Tesla? All of them have figured out mass production. All of them understand what is necessary to turn a profit.
    In 20 years, very few people will actually buy a car. It will be mostly ride share and short term lease/rentals.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,564 Founders Club
    Can we make a lower discussion board for Sleddoog and Hondo?

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:
    I read it and agree. I actually like Teslas, but there is a lot of truth in the summary paragraph.

Tesla stock is a social movement that Musk works hard to cultivate with his reality distortion field. As he has cycled through disruption stories, the reality distortion has worked well — at least for those who’ve drunk the Kool-Aid. But in the end, Musk has chosen a space with incumbents with strong capabilities, who, far from ignoring technological challenges, are racing to meet them. He cannot disrupt competitive reality.

Just wait until Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ford, GM, Chrysler, ...... get their zone reads down. Bottom line is that when/if the space Tesla is currently occupying becomes economically attractive on a mass scale, the collective capabilities and economies of scale that it's potential competitors possess will most likely be too much for it to bear. Without massive government subsidies, Tesla would already be dead. Anyway, IMO, if the big boys decide to play in that space for realz, Tesla will likely have to hang it's hat on either being an offeror of a boutique item, or being absorbed.
    Well Tesla paid off their government loans early. They will fail as a company if they don't get more efficient. I do find it funny when the "no regulation free market" crowd hates a company that is actually pushing innovation. Not to mention they a lot of those other companies you mentioned also took stimulus funds to work on electric cars. Remember the Chevy volt?
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:
    My issue with Tesla, is that they continue to throw out new ideas when they haven't even perfected their original idea. They still can't even produce 25% of the vehicles they promise. That doesn't even take into account the fact that they need government deductions in order to make the vehicles affordable to even have a market to begin with. Now they talk about rolling out long haul Tesla Trucks. Great idea, but shouldn't they perfect the manufacturing process of their fancy looking electric Camry first?
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,028
    Can we get back to bashing Consumer Reports?

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:
    My issue with Tesla, is that they continue to throw out new ideas when they haven't even perfected their original idea. They still can't even produce 25% of the vehicles they promise. That doesn't even take into account the fact that they need government deductions in order to make the vehicles affordable to even have a market to begin with. Now they talk about rolling out long haul Tesla Trucks. Great idea, but shouldn't they perfect the manufacturing process of their fancy looking electric Camry first?
    Those are their business decisions and they will fail as a business if they do stupid shit.
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:
    Those are their business decisions and they will fail as a business if they do stupid shit.
    fuck
    BearsWiin said:

Can we get back to bashing Consumer Reports?

Sure, as Consumer Reports for new cars are worthless. For a car 5 years or older, it's a great resource.

However JD Powers initial quality ratings are a better indicator of quality.

Sadly Tesla placed outside the top 23.

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles/car-buyers-guides/top-rated-luxury-cars-2017-initial-quality-study