Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

For Those Who Actually Watch Film

How do Stanley and Hampton compare? Appear to physically
be similar. Does Stanley have an upside comparable to Hampton?

Comments

• Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

whuggy said:

Stanley is a nice looking athlete who moves nimbly. A guy who probably would be good eventually for us, but doesn't have great instincts. DDY2. Right in the middle.

Hampton, who I was meh on until I saw him as a senior, is a totally different level. He's the #2 corner in the west (according to me, Coker and some other smart people) and his body and agility are rare. The guy has crazy instincts and fast twitch movement. He's a DDY3 and what I think would be close to a 5* guy.

Stanley is a guy you take because you see athleticism and you think you can turn it into a DB.

Hampton is a guy who - if he can get to 200 lbs - will look like Patrick Peterson.
    So can Stanley get to Kevin King territory?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2017
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

Stanley is a nice looking athlete who moves nimbly. A guy who probably would be good eventually for us, but doesn't have great instincts. DDY2. Right in the middle.

Hampton, who I was meh on until I saw him as a senior, is a totally different level. He's the #2 corner in the west (according to me, Coker and some other smart people) and his body and agility are rare. The guy has crazy instincts and fast twitch movement. He's a DDY3 and what I think would be close to a 5* guy.

Stanley is a guy you take because you see athleticism and you think you can turn it into a DB.

Hampton is a guy who - if he can get to 200 lbs - will look like Patrick Peterson.
    dude you realize that king was one top 40 players drafted last year? those guys dont just grow on trees
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

Really different physically than Kev King. Des Trufant would be the high end for a kid like Stanley. I’m not sure he has the instincts, though.
  • Options

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

dude you realize that king was one top 40 players drafted last year? those guys dont just grow on trees
    I'm talking about Kevin King who came in pretty
    lightly regarded as a recruit. Could he have the same
    trajectory considering the quality of coaching he will
    receive?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

receive?
    King was physically rare in that he wasn’t tall and crazy athletic. So to answer your question they appear nothing alike. Look at kings measurablea and combine numbers.
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

receive?
    Many people here forget that King came in weighing like 150 lbs and inspired the term "Long Neck"

FYI at the NFL combine he weighed in at 200lbs and had the top CB time for 3 cone, 20yrd shuttle, 60yrd shuttle, and the 2nd best Vert.

Dude went from a nobody 3 star tall JAG playing CB because he was too weak to play safety to an amazing college CB and so-far a pretty good NFL CB.

Perfect example of scouting an athlete, developing, and coaching a guy that would have likely just disappeared if left to squander natural ability at SDSU or Cal
    Great comments. Pretty much what I was driving at.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Thought this thread might be about snuff films.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Houhusky said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

receive?
    Many people here forget that King came in weighing like 150 lbs and inspired the term "Long Neck"

FYI at the NFL combine he weighed in at 200lbs and had the top CB time for 3 cone, 20yrd shuttle, 60yrd shuttle, and the 2nd best Vert.

Dude went from a nobody 3 star tall JAG playing CB because he was too weak to play safety to an amazing college CB and so-far a pretty good NFL CB.

Perfect example of scouting an athlete, developing, and coaching a guy that would have likely just disappeared if left to squander natural ability at SDSU or Cal
    You mean he actually improved as an upper classman?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The question for me with instincts is why are they bad. Are they bad because you just haven't gotten enough reps? Are they bad because you aren't getting good coaching? Or are they bad because you're a mental midget and things just don't click for you?

If it's either of the first 2, you can overcome them with time in the program and potentially be a contributor at some point. If it's the mental midget side of things, then the odds of it ever clicking is about zero and you're destined to be one of those athletes that lucks into a few plays but always leaves you massively underwhelmed.

In a normal situation, if you're in the UW program, that kind of player will almost always get passed at some point by our typical recruit.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

The question for me with instincts is why are they bad. Are they bad because you just haven't gotten enough reps? Are they bad because you aren't getting good coaching? Or are they bad because you're a mental midget and things just don't click for you?

If it's either of the first 2, you can overcome them with time in the program and potentially be a contributor at some point. If it's the mental midget side of things, then the odds of it ever clicking is about zero and you're destined to be one of those athletes that lucks into a few plays but always leaves you massively underwhelmed.

In a normal situation, if you're in the UW program, that kind of player will almost always get passed at some point by our typical recruit.

Instincts and football IQ are so fucking underrated in scouting. They can be improved, but for the most part, they are what they are.

You’re an IMA legend, so I’ll give you a hoops comparison. Guys with court vision, that understand floor spacing, and are consistently in good help side defensive positioning are valuable. Most guys have it or don’t.

In football, guys that time their blitzes, disguise coverages, anticipate and avoid blocks

We need guys with both instincts and talent. It’s easier said than done. I think both Pete and coach K are such good coaches they know they can win with guys like BBK and Myles Bryant. Both those guys are very smart football players.

Ultimately, if we want to win a natty, we are going to play Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson type teams. BBK is probably as instinctual of a player as Rueben Foster. We all know what the difference is.

I don’t always agree with Dennis, but he’s 100% right that we need more talent. We have the coaching. We need more talent and a NFL type at QB. That’s the formula for UW.
    Agree 100%

Not all instincts are just natural ... but there are certain ones that are. They really do matter because if you can read a play and react to it it makes you faster than you really are
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2017

After watching Stanley a bit more, one thing I like about him is that they have him punt and throw trick-play passes.

At first that might seem like nothing, but it speaks to how much they trust him. A lot of athletic kids who can't play football don't get trusted with that sort of thing.

The fact they let him punt tells you they think he is a smart player.

That's something I like about him.

And he has really good change-of-direction quickness.

One thing I'm always looking for in defenders is guys who instinctively cut down angles so the ball-carrier is trapped and can't do what he wants. That's where Stanley lacks, to me. We teach angles all the time, so it should improve, but it's something that some guys just do instinctively.

It's what made Budda so devastating. Guys just couldn't get around him.

Alright I'm convinced, sign me up.

He's obviously #3 on the remaining DB list, but I won't be upset if he's the third best DB in the class. Second best DB would be a problem.
  • Options
    YouNeed2ChillYouNeed2Chill Member Posts: 57
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

After watching Stanley a bit more, one thing I like about him is that they have him punt and throw trick-play passes.

At first that might seem like nothing, but it speaks to how much they trust him. A lot of athletic kids who can't play football don't get trusted with that sort of thing.

The fact they let him punt tells you they think he is a smart player.

That's something I like about him.

With all due respect, this is the dumest thing you've ever said. You're reading too much into it. I don't GAF is he can punt and run trick plays. If Teq had said this it would get a million WTF's.