Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Recruiting Matters

BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Shoutout to the TSIO team for their great work. Getting Togiai and the other Polys, maybe a LB prospect with speed and the ability to carry more than 210 lbs gets me excited.

Signing many quality prospects matters: 4+ stars or better. History shows expectations doesn’t correlate with production. As we’ve seen with Austin Joyner, Kevin King—John Ross even— it took three years of Pete and his systems development before the talent equaled the production.

Some of you didn’t care for the Cyler Miles warning, expecting Yankoff to come in lead this team to the promised land. Out of HS, Miles had the best offer list of any recruit—outside of Shaq Thompson— I recall in the last 25 years, outside of Shaq Thompson. He won the Army AA game MVP through the air and with his legs. I think we can all agree he mostly sucked. This bored celebrated the day he left. Sirmon, Uber talented. There are questions. Full disclosure: I dooged for Jake Eason (FM)

More Heralded Husky QB recruits the past 25 years:

Damon Huard. Gatorade AA. A top 5, maybe the highest rated HS QB the year he signed with UW. Nuff said on that one.

Brock Huard: essentially the same resume, and a major disappointment. More on his replacement later.

Casey Paus. Casey fucking Paus. UW Player Bio “nominated for the Wendy's High School Heisman in 2000 ... a Sporting News, PrepStar, Student Sports, and SuperPrep All-American ... ranked sixth in the nation at QB by Rivals.com ... a member of PrepStar's Top 120 "Dream Team" .. also named to Student Sports' Top 100, and ninth at QB ... ranked 11th on PrepStar's Midwest Region "Super 30" list.”

Jack Locker. The savior Doogs (Disclosure: I bought the hype too) expected would turn the program around. He didn’t. Fuck off in advance for the first round pick replies.

Jeff Lindquist (NT)

Troy Williams. Doogman hailed Williams as a polished passer who threw pretty spirals. His Adidas commercial after he left was kind of cool.

Marques Tuiasopo. Rated lower than the above list. Considered a safety or LB prospect. Tui was the best UW QB in the history of the program. BJ Hobart was undefeated. Strip down that defense, weaken his offensive supporting cast and he is likely JAG.

Other notable Dooglegends mentioned in many threads. Mike Luystk. Danny Makiati. Theron Hill. Craig Noble. A. Boyle’s, etc.

Talent and development maters. Vea was a three star. Ektard argues he would have been a four star if it wasn’t for his grades. Bullshit. He was a massive talent and lazy in HS. Development matters. Henry Roberts? Four star. Projected bookend tackle. Pete signee, four years in, hasn’t done shit. Nick Harris. Coleman Shelton. Boomer Sosbee...

Ty Jones had a rep for playing soft until midway through his senior year. Expecting him to be a savior, or any other recruit for that matter to rejuvenate a weak position is Doogish.

I hate BBK as our Mik. Stanford abused us and have no doubt, Penn State will come right after BBK’s 200 lb frame. Kudos for his development. He’s consistently makes the right reads but 2 yard gains, go for 5 or more, as BBK gets drug behind. Cam Eifler? Nothing yet. Agata: redshirting. Beavers, better than BBK, why doesn’t he play more?

Savior recruits are for Doogs. TSIO is spot on “Talent—lots of it— and Development matter.” The team we root for needs both.

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2017
    Cyler played for Sark. If you can't see the flaws in the lack of player development, then maybe @GrandpaSankey can help you out.

That's why Yankoff is going to make everyone forget Tui. He plays in bumfuck, Idaho and probably has had like 3 days of upper level coaching. Sirmon has likely lived a elite camps since he got out of diapers. Yankoff's upside is off the charts.

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Damon won WA State GPOY

Brock won National GPOY
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
  • Options

Cyler played for Sark. If you can't see the flaws in the lack of player development, then maybe @GrandpaSankey can help you out.

That's why Yankoff is going to make everyone forget Tui. He plays in bumfuck, Idaho and probably has had like 3 days of upper level coaching. Sirmon has likely lived a elite camps since he got out of diapers. Yankoff's upside is off the charts.

Yankoff has a hitch in his delivery and played against shit Idaho competition. Miles ran a 4.4 and shined against elite talent. What’s he proven beyond having balls, committing after Sirmon a labeled pussy at least through the beginning of the year. Right @DerekJohnson ?

Lambo signed Tui. And had him for one year, before Neu. Pickett—one of the better UW QBs—excelled under Rick. Casey Paus, who Rick anointed a sure thing, did not.

Keith Price developed until he got destroyed. Jack Locker was not the best QB in the history of the program—hi Hugh!

Is Browning better now, three years in? Carta,Rodriquez and Bridge-Gadd (South Central LA law firm? ) mostly suck. Jake Haener has a hot mom and allegedly the best arm on the team and is at best, third-string.

Pete’s staff got through to Joe Mathis, Kevin King, Elijah Qualls and reclaimed seniored Tupou. Marcus Peters ended up a fucktard—a darn talented one, though. Is that on Pete? Peters can’t keep his shit together even on the verge of earning a massive payday.

We lost String. Miles allegedly got religion, toed the line, but “retired” due to injury.

Even Todd Graham couldn’t fuck up N’Keal Henry. (What would he look like in Purple and Gold?)

Pick whichever narrative you chose. Facts are facts. Teen Boys are a crap shoot, especially QBs. Jimmy Claussen, Max Browne, Jake Heaps. Cooper Bateman turned everybody down for Alabama, transfered to Utah to sit behind Huntley and former Doog Savior Troy Williams. Jake Heaps or Nick Montana. You know who you are. Miley turned down the full court press from SC and signed with UW.

Get lots of talent. Don’t settle for inferior fallbacks. Even the best staffs whiff on a high percentage of heralded recruits. This current Husky squad with quality LBs, a Buck, and better developed high ceiling WRs overcomes Brownsox’s deficiencies, Babushkas inexplicable calls, losing Azeem, Jordan Miller, Adams, the Black Beast, and still earns a slot in a playoff bowel. I deal in hypotheticals. It’s what I like to do.

• Options
    doogie said:

Damon won WA State GPOY

Brock won National GPOY

Thanks for that.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Baseman said:

Yankoff has a hitch in his delivery and played against shit Idaho competition. Miles ran a 4.4 and shined against elite talent. What’s he proven beyond having balls, committing after Sirmon a labeled pussy at least through the beginning of the year. Right @DerekJohnson ?

Lambo signed Tui. And had him for one year, before Neu. Pickett—one of the better UW QBs—excelled under Rick. Casey Paus, who Rick anointed a sure thing, did not.

Keith Price developed until he got destroyed. Jack Locker was not the best QB in the history of the program—hi Hugh!

Is Browning better now, three years in? Carta,Rodriquez and Bridge-Gadd (South Central LA law firm? ) mostly suck. Jake Haener has a hot mom and allegedly the best arm on the team and is at best, third-string.

Pete’s staff got through to Joe Mathis, Kevin King, Elijah Qualls and reclaimed seniored Tupou. Marcus Peters ended up a fucktard—a darn talented one, though. Is that on Pete? Peters can’t keep his shit together even on the verge of earning a massive payday.

We lost String. Miles allegedly got religion, toed the line, but “retired” due to injury.

Even Todd Graham couldn’t fuck up N’Keal Henry. (What would he look like in Purple and Gold?)

Pick whichever narrative you chose. Facts are facts. Teen Boys are a crap shoot, especially QBs. Jimmy Claussen, Max Browne, Jake Heaps. Cooper Bateman turned everybody down for Alabama, transfered to Utah to sit behind Huntley and former Doog Savior Troy Williams. Jake Heaps or Nick Montana. You know who you are. Miley turned down the full court press from SC and signed with UW.

Get lots of talent. Don’t settle for inferior fallbacks. Even the best staffs whiff on a high percentage of heralded recruits. This current Husky squad with quality LBs, a Buck, and better developed high ceiling WRs overcomes Brownsox’s deficiencies, Babushkas inexplicable calls, losing Azeem, Jordan Miller, Adams, the Black Beast, and still earns a slot in a playoff bowel. I deal in hypotheticals. It’s what I like to do.

YKW
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    TommySQC said:

Baseman said:

Shoutout to the TSIO team for their great work. Getting Togiai and the other Polys, maybe a LB prospect with speed and the ability to carry more than 210 lbs gets me excited.

Signing many quality prospects matters: 4+ stars or better. History shows expectations doesn’t correlate with production. As we’ve seen with Austin Joyner, Kevin King—John Ross even— it took three years of Pete and his systems development before the talent equaled the production.

Some of you didn’t care for the Cyler Miles warning, expecting Yankoff to come in lead this team to the promised land. Out of HS, Miles had the best offer list of any recruit—outside of Shaq Thompson— I recall in the last 25 years, outside of Shaq Thompson. He won the Army AA game MVP through the air and with his legs. I think we can all agree he mostly sucked. This bored celebrated the day he left. Sirmon, Uber talented. There are questions. Full disclosure: I dooged for Jake Eason (FM)

Damon Huard. Gatorade AA. A top 5, maybe the highest rated HS QB the year he signed with UW. Nuff said on that one.

Brock Huard: essentially the same resume, and a major disappointment. More on his replacement later.

Casey Paus. Casey fucking Paus. UW Player Bio “nominated for the Wendy's High School Heisman in 2000 ... a Sporting News, PrepStar, Student Sports, and SuperPrep All-American ... ranked sixth in the nation at QB by Rivals.com ... a member of PrepStar's Top 120 "Dream Team" .. also named to Student Sports' Top 100, and ninth at QB ... ranked 11th on PrepStar's Midwest Region "Super 30" list.”

Jack Locker. The savior Doogs (Disclosure: I bought the hype too) expected would turn the program around. He didn’t. Fuck off in advance for the first round pick replies.

Jeff Lindquist (NT)

Troy Williams. Doogman hailed Williams as a polished passer who threw pretty spirals. His Adidas commercial after he left was kind of cool.

Marques Tuiasopo. Rated lower than the above list. Considered a safety or LB prospect. Tui was the best UW QB in the history of the program. BJ Hobart was undefeated. Strip down that defense, weaken his offensive supporting cast and he is likely JAG.

Other notable Dooglegends mentioned in many threads. Mike Luystk. Danny Makiati. Theron Hill. Craig Noble. A. Boyle’s, etc.

Talent and development maters. Vea was a three star. Ektard argues he would have been a four star if it wasn’t for his grades. Bullshit. He was a massive talent and lazy in HS. Development matters. Henry Roberts? Four star. Projected bookend tackle. Pete signee, four years in, hasn’t done shit. Nick Harris. Coleman Shelton. Boomer Sosbee...

Ty Jones had a rep for playing soft until midway through his senior year. Expecting him to be a savior, or any other recruit for that matter to rejuvenate a weak position is Doogish.

I hate BBK as our Mik. Stanford abused us and have no doubt, Penn State will come right after BBK’s 200 lb frame. Kudos for his development. He’s consistently makes the right reads but 2 yard gains, go for 5 or more, as BBK gets drug behind. Cam Eifler? Nothing yet. Agata: redshirting. Beavers, better than BBK, why doesn’t he play more?

Savior recruits are for Doogs. TSIO is spot on “Talent—lots of it— and Development matter.” The team we root for needs both.

BJ Hobert was a fucking winner. Not just because he was 17-0 along with the best team ever but because of his attitude. I don't think that team goes 12-0 with Brunnell.
    I agree. 40 years + watching Husky FB, BJ, for me, is #2 best UW QB behind Tui. You’d agree BJ doesn’t go 17-0 without that defense, nor does he get the 2000 team to the Rosebowl and win?

Flag myself for the “JAG” BJ was better than a JAG. He doesn’t have the same winning swag though without the cast.

Feel free to insert the moving goalposts gif.
  • Options
    DodgyBlokeDodgyBloke Member Posts: 957
    When does your shit recruiting website launch?
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Disagree

well played
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    Man, n'keal harry ... even Smith couldn't hold that dude back.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,979
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    if Lindquist had 5 years under smiff you would be singing another song
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TommySQC said:

Baseman said:

Jeff Lindquist (NT)

BJ Hobert was a fucking winner. Not just because he was 17-0 along with the best team ever but because of his attitude. I don't think that team goes 12-0 with Brunnell.
    Tommy, do you say these things to hurt me? You know how I feel about Brunell. If Brunell plays without the knee injury that offense gains another dimension. BJH ripped off some big runs but MB was ELECTRIC coming around the edge pre knee plus he would have increased his shitty comp. % by at least ten percent for his junior year. You still harbor ill will because of Arizona and WSU? We weren't winning that Apple cup. We didn't bring the right shoes (Doog statement, but watch the tape!) and after the blizzard got really bad the team was ready to head to Pasadena anyway. Arizona was bad timing. We play them two weeks earlier or two weeks later and we probably beat them. Hobert playing or not we were ripe that week. Brunell and Kaufman were the only reason we were in the game with the fighting Wheatleys at all. If not for Buck Wheatley, MB is MVP of that game. He was nails.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

TommySQC said:

Baseman said:

Jeff Lindquist (NT)

Tommy, do you say these things to hurt me? You know how I feel about Brunell. If Brunell plays without the knee injury that offense gains another dimension. BJH ripped off some big runs but MB was ELECTRIC coming around the edge pre knee plus he would have increased his shitty comp. % by at least ten percent for his junior year. You still harbor ill will because of Arizona and WSU? We weren't winning that Apple cup. We didn't bring the right shoes (Doog statement, but watch the tape!) and after the blizzard got really bad the team was ready to head to Pasadena anyway. Arizona was bad timing. We play them two weeks earlier or two weeks later and we probably beat them. Hobert playing or not we were ripe that week. Brunell and Kaufman were the only reason we were in the game with the fighting Wheatleys at all. If not for Buck Wheatley, MB is MVP of that game. He was nails.
    A barefoot BJ wins the Apple Cup. It’s telling how the team slipped immediately after he left. Winning matters.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I can't argue with either of you on your points. They are more than valid. But i'll try. The end of 92 was like a bad dream. Maybe Billy wins those three games and we win another natty, probably he doesn't. BJH doesn't make our receivers any better in 92. That was a skill position group lacking skill. That cost us in the Arizona game. Desert Swarm put eight in the box and said, "beat us deep", we couldn't. Maybe Billy rallies us in the second half against Wazzu. I don't know. Sure looked to me like the team came out in the second half and said WDGAF about this game. We have Michigan in a month, we already won the conference, we gone. In 90 Brunell hit two receivers (can't remember which ones) in the hands to win the game at Colorado. Both dropped. Brunell didn't give up 25 at home to Tommy Maddox. That should never have happened, that team was garbage. Was he good in that game? Not really, but no one was. Mr. Bannon, I realize YOU WERE THERE, and I respect my elders. I loved BJH but in my formative Dawg years watching the difference between big, slow Conklin and then Brunell sunk in my fandom forever. I have a soft spot for him.
  • Options

Brunell did not suck. He ranks fairly high on the list. Any UW QB that wins a Rose Bowl can pop off. They did turn into weird times. Would have loved to see 92 play out without the loss of Billy.

This. BJ played with an arrogance. If you want further proof, look at UWs signature 1991 win against Nebraska. BJ delivered in the clutch. Down 21-9, he converted a key 4th down, made clutch throws, and put UW ahead scoring on a TUFF 3 yard run.

Against Arizona, Brunnell constantly threw off his back foot instead of hanging in and taking a hit. Desert Swarm aside, BJs swag was infectious. As good as Brunnell was he didn’t have BJ’s “it”

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    This thread is gay.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,409
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This thread is gay.