Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Season Ending Defensive Review - 2016 vs 2017

2»

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,480 Founders Club
    edited November 2017

We need the TURNOVER SALMON now more than ever it appears.

Our turnover chain will graduate
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    Did you guys know I’m Seattle there is this place called “Pike Place Market” where they throw fish and catch them with their bare hands? They also have great coffee because of Starbucks and it rains a lot!
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

2001400ex said:

Stats are for losers. Defense cost us the Stanford game.

I suspect that the Stanford film will be scrutinized by the staff a lot in the offseason as this is a blueprint for how to attack our defense by going from 1st and 10 to 2nd and 6 to 3rd and 3 and then either a conversion of 4th and 1 ... sustaining drives is not easy against us but doable. The Stanford game desperately needed some attacking pressure to create a substantially negative play (either a sack or holding penalty) or turnover. It's the one thing that this defense really didn't do particularly well this year.
    Excellent point here @Tequilla on the Stanford model for beating our D. But with a more competent offense able to sustain its own long drives, the D is certainly less exposed to these vulnerable types of scenarios. We probably win that game something like 30- 17 or 30 - 24 with any sort of decent offensive performance.
    Exactly ... why I put the balance of the Stanford loss on the offense
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club
    Good Breakdown. If you would have said at the beginning of the season we would only give up 15.2 ppg during Pac-12 play, going 7-2 in conference would have been the floor for the year, undefeated being the ceiling and losing one game the norm.

But again saying in August you will only generate four turnovers in 5 games against ASU + UCLA + Oregon + Stanford + Utah combined and I would have said we lose 2 of those minimum 3 would be avg. and 4 if things go south.

The next step for the D is as you said, have edge players who can both A) hold the edge on runs and B) make plays on passing downs by getting to the qb, drawing holding calls one series each half killing drives, and having the quickness to chase qb's down if flushed from pocket causing qb incompletions/throwaways/int's

Bob Gregory we are looking at you