Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How we suddenly became average.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
1. Poor edge pass rush. In this conference particularly, you need to bring heat. For much of this year our interior defensive linemen and some creative blitzes were able to mask or poor edge pass rushers. It’s now been figured out.

2. Injuries. Particularly the secondary, but also Hunter Bryant and Trey Adams. A poor edge pass rush plus injuries has produced back to back 30 point games by our opponents. Myles Bryant should be playing nickel, not CB.

3. Browning. Nine-win-Jake Is good at blowing out average to poor teams. But teams that come in with a good game plan expose his many weaknesses.

4. Babushka. Similarly, like his quarterback our offensive coordinator simply cannot adjust during games. His play calling at key moments makes you want to put your foot through the television.

Comments

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    9 win Jake? When has he won 9 games? 8 and 12. 10 win Jake? Doesn't have the same ring to it.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    Gladstone said:

9 win Jake? When has he won 9 games? 8 and 12. 10 win Jake? Doesn't have the same ring to it.

It averages out. The three tough games per year that we need, he won’t deliver.
  • GridironGridiron Member Posts: 508
    Too long too read..answer..

SEC wins..
  • GridironGridiron Member Posts: 508
    Been average, hate break it to ya pod..
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,300
    Swaye said:

I'd add one more to get to 5.

5) Terrible WR and OL recruiting leaving us mostly retards to work with.

• Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    You sent out a bunch of NFL players and didn't replace them with NFL players. It's how every good program/team takes a step back.

Saban was .500 at Bama before he got his guys in there. Pete was .500 at USC before he got his guys in there, then fell off at the end because they weren't an NFL team anymore.

College football is talent, lifting, and discipline. You guys will always have two of those with Peterman.
    Swaye said:

5) Terrible WR recruiting leaving us mostly retards to work with.

Sick of these average sized and averaged speed receivers. Does Andre Baccellia or Aaron Fuller have a chance in hell of playing in the NFL?

Give me Kasen or Reggie.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,792 Founders Club
    Swaye said:

5) Terrible WR recruiting leaving us mostly midget retards to work with.

• TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,876 Standard Supporter
    Passion said:

Swaye said:

Sick of these average sized and averaged speed receivers. Does Andre Baccellia or Aaron Fuller have a chance in hell of playing in the NFL?

Give me Kasen or Reggie.
    To their credit, both F&B have improved and would've been more productive with a better QB that didn't regress so badly this year. That said, a 2nd big target was sorely missed this year.
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,732
    Swaye said:

Retards and fruit booties
  • MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,577

Mosster47 said:

You sent out a bunch of NFL players and didn't replace them with NFL players. It's how every good program/team takes a step back.

Saban was .500 at Bama before he got his guys in there. Pete was .500 at USC before he got his guys in there, then fell off at the end because they weren't an NFL team anymore.

College football is talent, lifting, and discipline. You guys will always have two of those with Peterman.

Ahhh the implication being that Oregon is back! Because now you lift weights where no one on your college football team lifted weights before.

What a crock of shit.
    You don’t have to freak out every time this guy posts.

According to his list, has of now, Oregon only has one of the three required necessities. (Of his stupid list)

Also, Washington was pretty mediocre last year. Hence the two year campaign to keep them out of the playoffs by the entire college football world outside of Seattle. They were just a little more mediocre this year.

• MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,577
    Mosster47 said:

PC won/tied the conf, the orange bowl and the Heisman in his second season.

Smfh
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Passion said:

1. Poor edge pass rush. In this conference particularly, you need to bring heat. For much of this year our interior defensive linemen and some creative blitzes were able to mask or poor edge pass rushers. It’s now been figured out.

2. Injuries. Particularly the secondary, but also Hunter Bryant and Trey Adams. A poor edge pass rush plus injuries has produced back to back 30 point games by our opponents. Myles Bryant should be playing nickel, not CB.

3. Browning. Nine-win-Jake Is good at blowing out average to poor teams. But teams that come in with a good game plan expose his many weaknesses.

4. Babushka. Similarly, like his quarterback our offensive coordinator simply cannot adjust during games. His play calling at key moments makes you want to put your foot through the television.

Taking just a little bit of time and doing research is hard ...

1) We didn't have much of an edge rush last year either (unless you think PSALM was a huge loss) ... depending on the source that you look at we have 32 or 33 sacks so far this year in 11 games. On a per game basis, that's tied for 14th in the country (on 32 sacks) ... a strong game against the Cougs likely gets us to Top 10. As a point of reference, we had 39 sacks last year in 14 games. So yeah, we're right on the same pace as last year.

2) Injuries haven't helped ... but at the same time, pinning injuries on the opposition getting to 30 points isn't accurate. In both of our losses, the undercurrent of those losses resided in failures on the offense ... particularly true with Stanford. The Murphy injury hasn't helped the secondary out, but I'd say the bigger problem is that teams have identified that Myles Bryant is this year's PSALM and attack wherever he is on the field religiously. And when you look at the games that we've lost (or been close to), the common theme is that the defense has been on the field for 70+ plays ... I'd argue that there's a bigger theme here in that teams are starting to figure out what they can do successfully against our defense and there's a blueprint (albeit a difficult one) for how to beat us.

3) It's not about having a game plan to expose Browning ... it's having the athletes in the secondary to force him to have to make throws into tight windows (which he doesn't want to do) and therefore he holds the ball too long. Given that Babushka doesn't do a tremendous job in scheming in those situations it causes Browning to look terrible. Browning's got his own issues ... but the key to beating UW is not by necessarily outscoring us ... it's forcing Browning into pressing and keeping him off the field so that he feels an unneeded sense of urgency.

4) Babushka is the definition of a guy without a plan ... you have to have some kind of identity. My answer to anything in this regard is that you should aspire to have the kind of identity that is similar to Kevin McHale's post moves. By that I mean that you have a handful of go to moves (plays) that you are going to utilize ... but then when your opponent starts cheating to stop those moves you start using their aggressiveness against them by throwing a what you see isn't what you get into their life. This is Babushka's primary failure to me.

5) Because you need 5 (massive fail by you here) ... the kicking game has been a significant issue this year. When you compete at the highest levels, the smallest details really matter. Against ASU, we lost by 6 and missed 2 FGs in the red zone ... those have to be made. Against Stanford, kicking a chip shot FG on 4th and 1 (yes, I realize that many would still say go for it and that Gaskin likely didn't play tremendous situational football here) ... but you also have to know your opponent and momentum. Getting points there to go to a 2 score game put all the pressure on Stanford to respond ... get a stop and another TD heading into half completely changes the game and what Stanford would have been able to do going forward with their offense (i.e. ground and pound starts to vanish).

One thing everyone counted on was the LB to take a step up with Bierria and Azeem coming back. No explanation needed with Victor, obviously it was disappointing to see what happened to him this year. Bierria is not nearly the playmaker he has been previous years either. Every game he was causing a fumble or making a big play, I forget he is on the field at times now. It's not to say he is bad, he just doesn't have that explosive game changing ability like he has had.

The defense while been consistent, doesn't really feel like they make those game swinging plays like they did last year.

Fumbles in general are a bit on the fluky side ... expecting that to continue is not likely.

If there's one thing in general with the defense that has not been where you want it this year it's in creating turnovers ... other than that the defensive stats are largely comparable or better to last year.
    Good to see that @Passion doesn't like when he gets called out for his lazy research.
    Tequilla said:

Passion said:

Taking just a little bit of time and doing research is hard ...

1) We didn't have much of an edge rush last year either (unless you think PSALM was a huge loss) ... depending on the source that you look at we have 32 or 33 sacks so far this year in 11 games. On a per game basis, that's tied for 14th in the country (on 32 sacks) ... a strong game against the Cougs likely gets us to Top 10. As a point of reference, we had 39 sacks last year in 14 games. So yeah, we're right on the same pace as last year.

2) Injuries haven't helped ... but at the same time, pinning injuries on the opposition getting to 30 points isn't accurate. In both of our losses, the undercurrent of those losses resided in failures on the offense ... particularly true with Stanford. The Murphy injury hasn't helped the secondary out, but I'd say the bigger problem is that teams have identified that Myles Bryant is this year's PSALM and attack wherever he is on the field religiously. And when you look at the games that we've lost (or been close to), the common theme is that the defense has been on the field for 70+ plays ... I'd argue that there's a bigger theme here in that teams are starting to figure out what they can do successfully against our defense and there's a blueprint (albeit a difficult one) for how to beat us.

3) It's not about having a game plan to expose Browning ... it's having the athletes in the secondary to force him to have to make throws into tight windows (which he doesn't want to do) and therefore he holds the ball too long. Given that Babushka doesn't do a tremendous job in scheming in those situations it causes Browning to look terrible. Browning's got his own issues ... but the key to beating UW is not by necessarily outscoring us ... it's forcing Browning into pressing and keeping him off the field so that he feels an unneeded sense of urgency.

4) Babushka is the definition of a guy without a plan ... you have to have some kind of identity. My answer to anything in this regard is that you should aspire to have the kind of identity that is similar to Kevin McHale's post moves. By that I mean that you have a handful of go to moves (plays) that you are going to utilize ... but then when your opponent starts cheating to stop those moves you start using their aggressiveness against them by throwing a what you see isn't what you get into their life. This is Babushka's primary failure to me.

5) Because you need 5 (massive fail by you here) ... the kicking game has been a significant issue this year. When you compete at the highest levels, the smallest details really matter. Against ASU, we lost by 6 and missed 2 FGs in the red zone ... those have to be made. Against Stanford, kicking a chip shot FG on 4th and 1 (yes, I realize that many would still say go for it and that Gaskin likely didn't play tremendous situational football here) ... but you also have to know your opponent and momentum. Getting points there to go to a 2 score game put all the pressure on Stanford to respond ... get a stop and another TD heading into half completely changes the game and what Stanford would have been able to do going forward with their offense (i.e. ground and pound starts to vanish).
    So is actually watching the games and looking beyond the stats. As somebody famous once said, "stats are for losers."

Even the FS announcers said during asu and stanford that UW did a poor job of consistently pressuring the pocket during those games. Wracking up sacks against oregon state or montana might bolster your season totals, but it doesn't do shit against the 3 tough games you have to win to go from the Sun Bowl to the college football playoff. Our edge pass rush against good teams has SUCKED.

And blaming the defense's poor performance against stanford on the offense? Come on. All of those third down conversions is the fault of the offense? Those pathetic plays where we got NO pass rush and stanford's WRs came down with the ball on third down is the fault of the offense? Jesus you're a DOOG (yes, with a capital D).

And the difference between the edge pass rush this year and last year has nothing to do with psalm. It has to do with a better secondary last year (which is where my injuries comment has relevance).

Regarding the offense, your defense of browning is pretty sad at this point. Yes, our poor WRs and offensive coordinator doesn't help him (which I also mentioned), but he doesn't have to run around like a confused freshman and take huge sacks. That's on him. Throw the damn ball away if nothing is there. And I said that babushka can't adjust during games and that our WRs are slow and average.

Yes, the kickers stink. Best point you made.

List of 5? Whatever, next time I'll list 5.