Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Former Husky Anthony Allen Reflects on his Favorite Moment in Don James Era

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited October 2013 in Tug Tavern

imageFormer Husky Anthony Allen Reflects on his Favorite Moment in Don James Era

The former Husky and NFL wide receiver recalls a big win in the Aloha Bowl, and gives his thoughts on last Sunday's memorial service for former coach Don James.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Great article and I loved the story on how that great pass and catch came about.

As for his comments about Sark I'm not surprised. James was a details guy so he knew exactly what he wanted to do and how to do it. While Sark has no clue other than feed people bull shit. So if he repeats he wants to be just like James enough Doogs will eat it up.

I agree with him that the school and many of our younger fans don't appreciate just how great Don James was.

Even now Doogs are trying to minimize how good of a coach he was to make it appear him and Sark are similar.
  • Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    The only thing better than the article is the camera work.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Great quote to sum it up:

"I don't think coaches should try to emulate what their predecessor did"
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Interesting. I remember Anthony Allen cuttin' the rug down at Memorial Stadium in high school too.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Anthony Allen looks great and articulates even better........ except for just one little thing. He'd never have scored even in Hawaii with that hat.

Allen's comment about remaining issues that "they" may have about DJ's resignation applies I believe to only those campus or society elitists and media piranha breaths who didn't like or appreciate the man from the start of his 18 year career as probably our greatest football coach ever. Those of us who were there on football Saturdays enjoying the competitiveness and rugged disciplined style of Husky Football under DJ's mentoring appreciated what we had standing on the north sideline focused 100% on The Game..... same as we were.

Forget the monuments! The Dawgfather don't need no stinking statues! This is the football coach who brought home a National Championship and the UW couldn't even honor him and his undefeated Huskies with a parade, not even a short cavalcade and ride down the Ave with marching band and yell squad into Husky Stadium for an afternoon of celebration. Neither the UW as an institution of higher elitism nor stuffy downtown Seattle deserved this man nor what he gave to the community. As the years and football seasons roll by, it appears that posterity has decided we may never see DJ's like again and if that be the case, we can deserve no better.

Thank you, Derek, for this interview with such a delightful young man. AA always had class as a Husky and still does.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,091
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    What do you folks think is a bigger honor, a statue or having the "Don James Center"?

I see each form of recognition as having advantages.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:

What do you folks think is a bigger honor, a statue or having the "Don James Center"?

I see what you're saying. But my dorky vision is having a statue of James on the southwest event deck. Looking down towards the UW sideline and the field like he did at practice from his tower.

I know, totally dorky but I think it's a fitting tribute to the man.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Mad_Son said:

Abundance

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tailgater thinks AA is well spoken. Good to know.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fact. Mike Tice was one the Maryland team.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mad_Son said:

I see what you're saying. But my dorky vision is having a statue of James on the southwest event deck. Looking down towards the UW sideline and the field like he did at practice from his tower.

I know, totally dorky but I think it's a fitting tribute to the man.
    That would be bad ass and way cooler than a typical statue. I like your idea.