Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Random Observations 9-2-17

DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,407
5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
Founders Club
A mess of thoughts from the first full day of college football:

Matt Millen. English, do you speak it? How this idiot was actually given the job as a GM in the NFL, even if it was in Detroit, is still one of man's greatest mysteries. His ineptitude coupled with his stranglehold on the obvious has an entertainment value that is being wasted by Fox. Fox needs to create "Fox Sports 3", a network that would consist of Matt Millen sitting in a booth calling every college game being broadcast by Fox on Saturday. I would watch that network religiously to remind myself that you don't need to have a grasp of the English language to be on TV and that I understand football better than a former NFL GM.

North Carolina. Is there a team that perpetually underachieves with any greater reliability than the Tar Heels? A bunch of NFL bodies with Pop Warner brains.

While Portland State was giving Oregon State a run for their money, was anyone besides me wondering if Portland State was "stemming" on defense?

Boise State struggled mightily at home against Troy and Brett Rypien was especially bad. His back-up, Montrell Cozart, was much more effective and got the bulk of the meaningful minutes down the stretch. Boise travels to WSU next week where they'll get steamrolled as they gradually sink back to the depths of the unknown. See ya' Boise, you'll always have those Fiesta Bowl memories to get you through your long winters.

Get ready for a whole bunch of "Oregon is back" talk. They're going to truck Nebraska next week.

Nick Holt sighting: Now the Co-DC for Purdue. At least he'll have Big-10 winters to help him try to slow down the opposition.

This sounded like a sure sign of failure to me: Kliff Kingsbury has 44 players on this years Texas Tech squad that were not on the team last year. They have 31 transfers on their roster. This is Kliff's 5th year at the helm in Lubbock, and if you're having to turn over half of your roster after 5 years as head coach, you're failing.

Not to be out done, Arizona topped Kliff's roster o' new faces. Rich Rod, in his 6th year as head coach of the Wildcats, has 48 guys who are in their first year in the program.

Tom Herman's performance at Texas today should make Longhorn fans question what they're in for. He made one bonehead decision after another, especially while the game was still very winnable for the 'Horns.

Herman passed on a chip-shot field goal that would have made it a two score game early in the 3rd quarter and instead chose to go for it, and fail, on 4th and goal from the 6 yard line.

Herman went for a two point conversion, and failed, when a one point conversion would have made it a 10 point game late in the 3rd quarter.

Then, after Maryland lost their starting QB, Texas had a chance to punt it away from near mid-field and pin Maryland deep in a one score game, with about 8 minutes remaining. Instead, Texas went for it on 4th down (from their own territory) and failed, giving Maryland great field position, leading to a TD that put it back to a two score game.

It was one bad coaching decision after another and every one of them had a substantial impact on the game.

And lastly ...

What cable/satellite package are they using at the Pac-12 "Centralized Replay Headquarters"? Because if they can get every game on their TVs, why in the hell can't I?

Comments