Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2-2-2-5 and the 2017 call

AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971
The bored is a lot more dialed in to the Huskies now than last year. Last year, I called for the heavy use of double TE formation. Given our size and OL inexperience and deficiencies, the double tight formation would crush the pussy edges of PAC-10 defenses taking pressure of our OL. Sure enough that happened.

This year's call is more subtle and probably not as innovative. Given our defensive construct, the oft argued 2-2-2-5 arrangement, there's something new happening this year which is in response to the CFP last year. It's the inverse of the double tight formation - we're going size at OLB.

The abomination of pee-salm holding the edge will never be seen again. Littleton and Feeney, while good players, won't win you a Natty. I think the coaches learned we needed more size on the edge but had to maintain the athleticism required for the 2-2-2 box (which is needed to offset the spread offenses in the PAC and college football more broadly). The move of Benning to SAM alerted me to this. The emergence of Justice Warren (6'2 250+). 230+ Tevis. Not Your but My Amandre.

I think we're seeing the coaches wanting to put more size on the edge akin to the Steelers D in the NFL, James Harrison, Porter, etc. With those "rare humans" on the edge, you keep opposing running games funneled into your DTs, ILBs, and S. Expect to see us continue to try and recruit bigger edge guys.

The Doog is strong in me this year.

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    edited August 2017
    Had a big doof boner until you brought up NFL made me all flaccid
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971

Point taken. I just always liked Dick LeBeau. Amazing defensive coordinator.

Meh. It was a good comparison.
    Everyone in NFL is a rare human. Ppl tend to forget that. There is a reason those fucker get paid

Everyone in NFL is a rare human. Ppl tend to forget that. There is a reason those fucker get paid
    Correct. It's more the scheme and trying to find those guys, the poor man's versions. James Harrison was from Bakersfield and pre-Rhino cum was a 2 star.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Very solid post
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,898 Founders Club

Exactly.

Exactly.
    Wait, that's my point.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    Pumpy told me in pm that he agrees

• FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    edited August 2017
    I was going to sarktastically shitpoast something about BIG DEs but actually this is just a really good OP.

The fact that replacing Psalm with bigger, stronger, smarter players=improvement is not earth shattering BUT I really like the insight that this defensive formation with this one personnel change will give us the best of both worlds- containing the Ducks and other spread offenses while also going toe to toe with a Bama or LSU or Michigan.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    AEB said:

The bored is a lot more dialed in to the Huskies now than last year. Last year, I called for the heavy use of double TE formation. Given our size and OL inexperience and deficiencies, the double tight formation would crush the pussy edges of PAC-10 defenses taking pressure of our OL. Sure enough that happened.

This year's call is more subtle and probably not as innovative. Given our defensive construct, the oft argued 2-2-2-5 arrangement, there's something new happening this year which is in response to the CFP last year. It's the inverse of the double tight formation - we're going size at OLB.

The abomination of pee-salm holding the edge will never be seen again. Littleton and Feeney, while good players, won't win you a Natty. I think the coaches learned we needed more size on the edge but had to maintain the athleticism required for the 2-2-2 box (which is needed to offset the spread offenses in the PAC and college football more broadly). The move of Benning to SAM alerted me to this. The emergence of Justice Warren (6'2 250+). 230+ Tevis. Not Your but My Amandre.

I think we're seeing the coaches wanting to put more size on the edge akin to the Steelers D in the NFL, James Harrison, Porter, etc. With those "rare humans" on the edge, you keep opposing running games funneled into your DTs, ILBs, and S. Expect to see us continue to try and recruit bigger edge guys.

Speed and quickness? I like your argument, but we also need our edge guys to "out-athlete" opposing OTs. Keep in mind that Don Jones and Andy Mason were not huge guys, but they blew past opposing OLs.

Not saying I disagree, just that you left "speed" out of the equation. Having big lumbering guys on the edge will also not get us to where we want to be (Natty).
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    Passion said:

AEB said:

Speed and quickness? I like your argument, but we also need our edge guys to "out-athlete" opposing OTs. Keep in mind that Don Jones and Andy Mason were not huge gays, but they blew past all opposing OLs.

Not saying I disagree, just that you left "speed" out of the equation. Having big lumbering gays on the edge will also not get us to where we want to be (Natty).
    Moar heat from the edge and pressure up the middle I see.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Passion said:

AEB said:

Speed and quickness? I like your argument, but we also need our edge guys to "out-athlete" opposing OTs. Keep in mind that Don Jones and Andy Mason were not huge guys, but they blew past opposing OLs.

Not saying I disagree, just that you left "speed" out of the equation. Having big lumbering guys on the edge will also not get us to where we want to be (Natty).
    Never change.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    Passion said:

AEB said:

Speed speed speed

Passion said:

AEB said:

Speed speed speed
    TL;DR = size and speed not mutually exclusive
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,299
    Yeah the speed is mandatory, the upgrade is adding size and strenf to that speed.

I still think we'll have a chunk of the season we'll go smaller because everyone runs the spread now.

I know we all doog bonered seeing qualls, vea, Gaines, Johnson line up at the beginning of the playoff game.

Yeah the speed is mandatory, the upgrade is adding size and strenf to that speed.

I still think we'll have a chunk of the season we'll go smaller because everyone runs the spread now.

I know we all doog bonered seeing qualls, vea, Gaines, Johnson line up at the beginning of the playoff game.

i am might have masturbated to that dline once or twice during the offseason
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 4,010
    AEB said:

Passion said:

AEB said:

I think the game at the upper echelon has changed since the '80s / '90s. We proved we could win the Pac with pee-salm. We would've won it with Feeney. It would not have changed the Alabama outcome if we had Feeney instead.

I don't disagree with the speed comment. But I think 6'2 220, 6'3 210 doesn't do the trick anymore. We keep hunting for DeDe or Jaelan Phillips and we keep landing Bryce Sterk and Joe Tryon. Both are 6'5 and can run, but both are more projects. We want big and fast... the rare human guys. Benning 6'3 280. Warren 6'2 250+. Amandre will be 240+...and with quicks.
    Disagree. Feeney was a fast fucker. Hurts wouldnt have gained close to 60 yards on the ground with feeney. And he would have gotten the sacks psalm missed. Now i want to go back and watch the game just to see every playthat would have been a stop if feeney was in.
    Bread said:

AEB said:

Passion said:

AEB said:

I think the game at the upper echelon has changed since the '80s / '90s. We proved we could win the Pac with pee-salm. We would've won it with Feeney. It would not have changed the Alabama outcome if we had Feeney instead.

I don't disagree with the speed comment. But I think 6'2 220, 6'3 210 doesn't do the trick anymore. We keep hunting for DeDe or Jaelan Phillips and we keep landing Bryce Sterk and Joe Tryon. Both are 6'5 and can run, but both are more projects. We want big and fast... the rare human guys. Benning 6'3 280. Warren 6'2 250+. Amandre will be 240+...and with quicks.
    Disagree. Feeney was a fast fucker. Hurts wouldnt have gained close to 60 yards on the ground with feeney. And he would have gotten the sacks psalm missed. Now i want to go back and watch the game just to see every playthat would have been a stop if feeney was in.
    I dont think feeney would be able to maintain the edge against bamer