Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

CBS Pac-12 coaching job rankings listFS

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pac-12-coaching-job-rankings-usc-on-top-and-a-sharp-drop-after-the-top-tier/

Stanford is wayyyy too high and I'd probably mix up the UO/UW/UCLA order in some way. Agree with #1 and #12.

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,940 Founders Club
    Oregon's fan base is loyal? The fuck? Go through the shit we all did from 2002- 15 then try filling Autzen. No other school in the conference could be at shitty as we were in 2008 and still average 64K in attendance the following year.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    Cal still too high.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,940 Founders Club

Oregon's fan base is loyal? The fuck? Go through the shit we all did from 2002- 15 then try filling Autzen. No other school in the conference could be at shitty as we were in 2008 and still average 64K in attendance the following year.

Nobody hates money as hard as DAWG fans do
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,946
    ^ eh, they have a pretty solid following. I mean, there's not much more to do down there besides taste wine and cook/smoke meth.

I'll just say this: these 'best gig' rankings have to be divided into two categories to make any sense: best for winners and best for job security seekers. Those are two wildly different goals, and the lists are wildly different.

Best job for winners? As in, I want to make a run at a title? One list. I want to hang around forever and ever and be a good guy everyone likes and make speeches at the Kiwanis club, be a molder of good men, etc. etc? That's a different list, and none of the schools on List 1 is on this list. Maybe the best contrast in the Pac now are 30 minutes apart: Oregon and Oregon State. Reilly could have stayed forever. Oregon has developed actual expectations.

The interesting list is the pergatory: the list of schools in that UW sweet spot. You know, the schools who have a fan base that can delude themselves into thinking they're one thing, when they're really not, but it assuages the disappointment of not being really good in any given decade. In UW's case, the exaggerated sense of elite academis, the whole "classy" shit routine, the "most scenic game day experience crap, the 1991 look-back, Nebraska standing ovation, "USC really respects us as their favorite #2, natural order," shit ... all the things that people use to get through 7-4 seasons. This shit will buy you time, but alas Washington is a winner at heart, and winners want to win. It's Michigan west, though Michigan got REAL comfortable being "We're Michigan" for a REAL long time.

Generally, there is nothing in the west approaching the pressure one feels at Ohio State, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, etc. USC comes closest. They don't tend to lean on as much diversionary loser shit as Washington does in the bad times: they just have the "We Are SC" mantra, which is stupid, and a real, undisputed, winning tradition, which is what'll get ya if you get too comfortable with 8 win seasons.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

^ eh, they have a pretty solid following. I mean, there's not much more to do down there besides taste wine and cook/smoke meth.

I'll just say this: these 'best gig' rankings have to be divided into two categories to make any sense: best for winners and best for job security seekers. Those are two wildly different goals, and the lists are wildly different.

Best job for winners? As in, I want to make a run at a title? One list. I want to hang around forever and ever and be a good guy everyone likes and make speeches at the Kiwanis club, be a molder of good men, etc. etc? That's a different list, and none of the schools on List 1 is on this list. Maybe the best contrast in the Pac now are 30 minutes apart: Oregon and Oregon State. Reilly could have stayed forever. Oregon has developed actual expectations.

The interesting list is the pergatory: the list of schools in that UW sweet spot. You know, the schools who have a fan base that can delude themselves into thinking they're one thing, when they're really not, but it assuages the disappointment of not being really good in any given decade. In UW's case, the exaggerated sense of elite academis, the whole "classy" shit routine, the "most scenic game day experience crap, the 1991 look-back, Nebraska standing ovation, "USC really respects us as their favorite #2, natural order," shit ... all the things that people use to get through 7-4 seasons. This shit will buy you time, but alas Washington is a winner at heart, and winners want to win. It's Michigan west, though Michigan got REAL comfortable being "We're Michigan" for a REAL long time.

Generally, there is nothing in the west approaching the pressure one feels at Ohio State, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, etc. USC comes closest. They don't tend to lean on as much diversionary loser shit as Washington does in the bad times: they just have the "We Are SC" mantra, which is stupid, and a real, undisputed, winning tradition, which is what'll get ya if you get too comfortable with 8 win seasons.

This post is worth reading.

Nick Saban's seat has to be getting warm with the play off failures two out of three years
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,946
    Always good to see Ewa still reeds strong.

winky winky