Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Anyone want to try and explain wtf Hopkins is doing?

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Pryor and Carter III signed today...to financial aid agreements, binding the school to them but not them to the school.

What possible reason would Hopkins have to give them FAAs rather than LOIs? These are USF and Seattle U recruits, they should be thrilled that UW condescended to them. Why would you commit to them without them committing to you?

This is a real head scratcher.

In slightly happier news, the signing period is here and it doesn't appear Nowell has asked to be released yet. He still could (the signing period lasts for like a month), but it seems if he wanted to be released he would have asked for it before signing day so he could have as many openings as possible. Pretty optimistic he's staying on bored. He might be our? best player next year.

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Obligatory vote
  • Options
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

What possible reason would Hopkins have to give them FAAs rather than LOIs? These are USF and Seattle U recruits, they should be thrilled that UW condescended to them. Why would you commit to them without them committing to you?

What's absolutely scary is that the only possible thought here is that both are holding out hope for a better offer in the next month or two from another program and don't want to be bound to UW. Hops is so desperate for guys he's willing to take people without the NLI just to get bodies on the floor that "may" be useful. Really, that's all I can come up with.

Hops shouldn't be taking guys who can't commit to a program 2-3 steps up from their previous scholarship offer.
  • Options

dnc said:

What's absolutely scary is that the only possible thought here is that both are holding out hope for a better offer in the next month or two from another program and don't want to be bound to UW. Hops is so desperate for guys he's willing to take people without the NLI just to get bodies on the floor that "may" be useful. Really, that's all I can come up with.

Hops shouldn't be taking guys who can't commit to a program 2-3 steps up from their previous scholarship offer.
    That was my thought too. Nothing else makes sense.

I can't imagine such an offer awaits either of them, but damn.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

dnc said:

To be fair to the kids, if it was offered I'd take it too. If Gonzaga or a good WCC/MWC school came calling it may be a better offer then the rebuilding project happening at UW the next couple years. Obviously that's not likely, but if Hops offered why would you limit your options?
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

dnc said:

To be fair to the kids, if it was offered I'd take it too. If Gonzaga or a good WCC/MWC school came calling it may be a better offer then the rebuilding project happening at UW the next couple years. Obviously that's not likely, but if Hops offered why would you limit your options?
    I'm always fair to the kids.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Fecal_MatterFecal_Matter Member Posts: 330
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Supposedly (according to someone on dongman) you can only ever sign one LOI, so that would explain Pryor not signing one. I'm not sure why Carter wouldn't sign one though.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
    Small timey hire does extremely small timey things. Jesus.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    It's a transition class this year ... we'll see if he can land someone that is worth talking about but at this point it is what it is
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646

Supposedly (according to someone on dongman) you can only ever sign one LOI, so that would explain Pryor not signing one. I'm not sure why Carter wouldn't sign one though.

This is correct.

Carter may have signed one out of O'Dea before deciding to go his route after that.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

It's a transition class this year ... we'll see if he can land someone that is worth talking about but at this point it is what it is

Shut the fuck up you excuse making doog.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Why do you hate the truth?

I'd love to see us pick up 1-2 nice recruits in this class to close it out ... I just don't think it will happen.

I like the fact that we kept Nowell ... I think he's got a future in the program under a strong coach.

I'm perfectly fine with losing Davis given that I thought that he sucked to begin with.

The rest of the class was going to leave so whatever.

I like the 2 guys that we got ... they won't be stars but they'll be 4 year guys that will be part of the rotation ... in an ideal world they will be part of the rotation of teams that are tournament caliber teams as juniors/seniors.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Why do you hate the truth?

I'd love to see us pick up 1-2 nice recruits in this class to close it out ... I just don't think it will happen.

I like the fact that we kept Nowell ... I think he's got a future in the program under a strong coach.

I'm perfectly fine with losing Davis given that I thought that he sucked to begin with.

The rest of the class was going to leave so whatever.

I like the 2 guys that we got ... they won't be stars but they'll be 4 year guys that will be part of the rotation ... in an ideal world they will be part of the rotation of teams that are tournament caliber teams as juniors/seniors.
    Nowell hasn't asked for his release...not the same as keeping him. LIPO.

And you are dead wrong about Davis. How does he "suck"???
  • Options
    If Nowell hasn't asked for his release as of yet, then I don't think he will ... I could be wrong on that of course ... but from what I've heard regarding his family dynamics leaving the area at this point isn't ideal. He's got the kind of game that IMO will keep him in the program for 3-4 years and could stand to grow under Hopkins and his fundamental focus.

As for Davis, I've never liked his game. I think he has the chance to be a very good defensive player if that's where he puts his focus. But offensively, there's nothing that I see in his game that makes me think that he'll be a significant offensive player. I saw both Davis and Thybulle in HS play against each other and Thybulle has 5x the offensive game that Davis has. Best case to me Davis will have the offensive game of Justin Holliday. But what Davis got away with in HS of just penetrating to the basket and getting layups won't work at the college level. He doesn't have any kind of mid-range or perimeter game and I don't really see him as a strong facilitator/passer ... I can very easily see him committing more turnovers than assists.

If Davis turns into a strong P12 player I'll be more than happy to eat crow on this one. I didn't like his game as a Freshman ... didn't like it as a Sophomore ... didn't like it as a Senior.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

If Nowell hasn't asked for his release as of yet, then I don't think he will ... I could be wrong on that of course ... but from what I've heard regarding his family dynamics leaving the area at this point isn't ideal. He's got the kind of game that IMO will keep him in the program for 3-4 years and could stand to grow under Hopkins and his fundamental focus.

As for Davis, I've never liked his game. I think he has the chance to be a very good defensive player if that's where he puts his focus. But offensively, there's nothing that I see in his game that makes me think that he'll be a significant offensive player. I saw both Davis and Thybulle in HS play against each other and Thybulle has 5x the offensive game that Davis has. Best case to me Davis will have the offensive game of Justin Holliday. But what Davis got away with in HS of just penetrating to the basket and getting layups won't work at the college level. He doesn't have any kind of mid-range or perimeter game and I don't really see him as a strong facilitator/passer ... I can very easily see him committing more turnovers than assists.

If Davis turns into a strong P12 player I'll be more than happy to eat crow on this one. I didn't like his game as a Freshman ... didn't like it as a Sophomore ... didn't like it as a Senior.

3 years ago? OK!
  • Options
    Intersectional_DawgIntersectional_Dawg Member Posts: 524
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    You both suck. They'd suck with Davis, and they'll suck phat cockus without him.