Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Thoughts on the final 4

PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,524
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Just received this message from a guy (who shall remain anonymous) that I've interacted with over the years on DM and HH: "Just a quick personal note to say thanks for your perspectives on UW football over the years. I haven't always agreed with you, but I've appreciated your passion for the program. I had hoped this site would be a place to have fun discussing football, but even the few promising threads ultimately devolve into insults and name calling. While I certainly don't always agree with Kim, after hanging out here for a while, he has a point: some of the shtick gets old after a while. The older I get, the more I judge activities by whether I enjoy them, and I simply don't enjoy having my intelligence questioned by a bunch of internet idiots. Perhaps I will catch you in the future at another site somewhere between DM and HH. Anyway, carry on the good fight and feel free to drop an email if you want to discuss Dawgs."

The guy that sent me this note is NO fan of kim or any of the other jerks over at DM

Look, I'm not going to advocate for people to be censored (like the d-bags that ruined DM), nor am I going to lecture anybody. I will only say that this website has the opportunity to become a REAL and UNFILTERED alternative to DM. The problem is that a few folks on here insist on turning threads into name-calling and 8th-grade-level cursing contests, or just an opportunity to 'zing' other people

I'll be the first to say that at times I've been guilty of that BS as well

I guess my only suggestion is that some folks should decide if they want this to become the website that ALL OF US have described at one time or another - a place of INTELLIGENT analysis where INTENSE criticism and UNSCRIPTED opinion is welcome - or do we want HH to be just a place of one-liners, biting insults, and contests to tear down others. I realize that it's often both, but I tend to agree with this guy that it tilts a little too much toward the latter.

I would like to add I think one of the biggest problems is people really do take the internet too seriously. If someone tells your to DIAF on a message board do you really give a shit? Why? It is something that is so stupid to say I don't understand why someone would take offense to it. If anything the person saying it looks stupid and thats the joke.

As far as football discussion goes I find it hard to generate a bunch of it since we still have the same brand of mediocre football we did 3 years ago after the first 7-6. We beat up scrubs, lose to elite programs, pinch out one surprise victory every year, shit the bed against a team we should have killed, suck on the road, and end up 7-6.

I do see a bit of what some folks are saying, and I say that as one of the chief bombthrowers, smartasses, and sexists on here. It can get a bit over the top around here. And, it is certainly monotonous. Some of these jokes have been used about Avogadro's number of times, that's right, one mole of times for you Chem nerds. So yeah, I get it. I don't really know how to change it, and I am still not sure it should change, but I can see that some would find it tiresome and old

The counterpoint to these items is as follows:

If you don't like scantily clad women, well, this isn't the site for you. I mean, it's not like DJ let's full blown nudity on here. These are basically bikini shots - and in most cases, no more slutty/seductive than the yearly SI swimsuit issue, or a 30 minute Victoria Secret infomercial on basic cable - not sure what that says about society now, but it is the truth. In fact, my last .gif with the girl rolling over...she actually has MORE on than some of the SI girls - and I REALLY did receive a couple of complaints about it, and some other just funny PM's. So yeah, if you find that offensive, don't turn on your TV, never get on the internet, and don't look at Sears circulars in the Sunday Paper (bra ads ftw).

Cursing. Um, see above. It's the internet

Inside jokes. Well, this one is tricky. I have been trading these jokes for 5 or so years now from just before HHBV1 to now. Some of these guys go back quite a bit farther than that (like old old Freebird days). I hate to take a "it is what it is" stance, but it sort of is. When the same 10-12 people, who all LOVE UW Football, have been trading jokes for 5-10 years, this is what you get. I will grant you, it isn't inclusive feeling to new members, but shit man, I have personally seen 5-10 new members spend about a month on here, and not only get used to it, but embrace it. Like the "New Members Post" says, lurk a bit, and you will get it. If you just don't like it, as opposed to not understanding it, I don't know what to say. Perhaps it should be toned down a bit, who am I to say, but I doubt it will

Blasting people and callinghem ignorant. I am just going to assume that Aubbie sent Passion the PM. I probably blasted him more than anyone in that thread. Totally over the top, and I am fine with it to be perfectly honest. I like Aubs fine, but the fact is he really does move goalposts, make excuses, and generally Doog it up, all after saying he was drawing a line in the sand. It's a joke. And, after just watching our 10th dismantling in a row, I had had it with that crap. I know others must have felt the same. I really do believe that fans like him (and far far worse than him) are what allowed Husky Football to fall to this low ebb. So, not going to apologize. At the same time, it isn't like I would try to kick his ass at the Aurora 7-11 if I ever met him. I would probably give him some shit for his opinions, but not in some hardcore way. If you can't take someone calling you an asshole after that game, then grow thicker skin. I have been called much worse in PM's from the Doog Nation on Doogfarm. I have yet to lose one second of sleep over it. Nor did I run away from it, I got banned instead. People need to learn the difference.

Has anyone here ever really read Tiger Droppings or Shaggy Bevo? It is just as over the top there as here. Tons of half nude .gif's, retard jokes, inside jokes, hoping Coaching staffs get run over by semi's, misogynistic picture threads, etc. That is what makes them fun. But, these kind of sites aren't for everyone. I don't suppose girls would like them (who cares), or dudes who might as well be girls, or any Sounders fan. But, if you have some hair on your balls, and roll with stuff a little bit, I think this place can be fun, for almost anyone (as long as you aren't BleenorFS). PostGameOrange and I downvote each other all the time, and flip shit, and then in the next thread we are man crushing all over each other with 22 upvotes in a row. Who gives a shit.

So, in the words of every great HS Football Coach in the world, "rub some dirt on it pussy, and get back in the game."

Negativity. This board goes as UW Football goes, and when it is the 12th year in a row with no chance at a Rose Bowl, in mid-October, well you can figure the rest out.

The one area I can really see me agreeing, to an extent, is in the lack of football discussion at times. I myself should probably talk 20 percent more football, and 20 percent less one liners. This area is also sort of influenced by the negativity discussion above. How many times can we discuss Mariota running all over us, and Keith price running for his life? Two or three threads about our total lack of pass rush, and that topic is pretty well dead. I am pretty sure we don't even have a band anymore, so not much to talk about there. Etc.

This forum is what happens when 20+ trolls meet. I get really fucking irritated with some of the repetitive jokes here...it's not funny IMO. I yawn.. That said, I post on some various facebook boards and typically become one of the dominant-asshole-trolls myself on many of those boards, out of boredom. I probably get called an asshole at least once a week on at least one of those. Ive realized that I am an arrogant prick. There are a lot of narcissistic trolls here on this site, myself included....perhaps we are just naturally drawn to one another...sort of like how inmates are drawn to each others' criminal knowledge in a prison. I accept that some are going to possibly annoy me as much as I will probably and inevitably annoy them with my own style of posting...but ultimately I would appreciate this site more if it cut out the fat and were less repetitive and had more creativity. I get bored easily with the 23 daily repetitions. Props to Derek Johnson for moderating this site...I wouldn't want that job.I suspect one day hell get very tired of doing it, especially with the repeated stuff.

For me the real frustration stems that I think this site really could overtake Dawgman and be a legitimate voice of Husky Football or at least something where the Athletic Department could go to get a real pulse of what smart and demanding fans think of the program. Because Dawgman really is a disaster, I have not been to the message board over there in months and don't care. It is worthless info for the most part. The only thing enjoyable to me is the summaries of what Fleenor actually writes and most of the time that has nothing to do with football.

Like it or not the extreme profanity and tails (See what I did there) of banging co-eds, gifs etc... make the site more dismissive to outside observers despite the intelligence of the football posts here.

It's Derek's site and it would be a lot to ask and very time demanding for someone to moderate all of this and I respect that. I find it worth it to come and filter through all of the Internet Tough Guy fights, barely legal photos and all else to get my husky fix and premium content. But for people that are offended by that type of stuff you are exactly right, this place is not for them. The frustrating part is this is where the most intelligent conversations about husky football take place but it is too extreme to be mainstream.

Just a thought.

Comments