Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hopkins hire late edition

FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Yeah yeah, been off the boards for a bit and instead of going through 45 threads(likely covering 5 total topics) I'll just cover the topics here.

1) MPJ leaving means literally nothing to UW. Anyone who believes that Romar staying next year, with MPJ on the roster all of a sudden brings in a Final 4 run hasn't watched Romar coach defense/offense/ or team chemistry the last 6 years.

1a) MPJ means that Hopkins can now start building a roster with guys he wants, offering early PT to big time prospects. Yes this sounds a bit CP kooolaid, but who on UW's current roster would you be heartbroken if they left? My two would be thybulle and johnson. But i'm sure others have at least 1 or 2 others. The rest of the roster needs to leave, or wake up to a new sherrif in town(most please leave). I won't be shocked to see kids transfers in the spring after they see Hopkins is going to be a hard ass that expects actual preparation and work.

2) Dickerson left. He was the winner in the cripple fight of UW roster. Sure, wouldn't hurt if he wanted to stay and buy in, but in reality I'd rather see Hopkins put his own stamp on this roster with his guys. Dickerson isn't exciting and had bought into the romar bullshit that D1 should be about shoot arounds and slappin high fives.

3) I will give Hopkins credit for his rep in recruiting until he doesn't prove it. I actually like what he did with MPJ. His dad was not coming on his staff, and MPJ was not going to go to UW. So he didn't waste time at all. I personally think that's smart. There is no reason to worry about him pulling in talent that can actually be a team, and make moves. He came out of left field, but I sure as hell like his background and his ability to keep conroy on staff. That may open the door to keeping some seattle guys home. I still want to see how he builds out the entire staff.

4) I've seen some of the other hires out there, and nothing has been earth shattering so it's not like we're missing out on all these other great hires. I put a list together a few weeks ago which had a bunch of names 95% of the pepole on this board know nothing about. Hopkins is pretty close in that list of what you get when you're team is middle to sunk in the conference for a decade.

5) I am warming up to the hire after the last week based on a few things.

a) He's a very tall white man who can be fired without fear of prejudice if he sucks.
b) He enjoys defense, which will be something new for this school even if I prefer more m2m, any defense would be better than what we've had
c) They have recruited quite a few players and coached up players to make deep runs in tourneys
d) And really, b/c we have no fucking choice but let the man do his job for a year and see how he starts to build a roster,

He honestly can't be worse than romar.

6) i did read a couple threads and a few of you are fucking retarded. "Paying a guy to learn how to coach". UW hasn't made a NCAA in 6 years, our roster resembles a WAC team sans the #1 pick in the draft, and the current coach that you all are annointing for sainthood would still fall well under the "paying a guy to learn how to coach" tag. Christ, doogs used it about how youth were leaving for nba draft just the last 3 years even though it's been happening for 15 years. Hopkins has been in the game, and run a the actual cuse program for years. Jimmy is just the figurehead. If he fails here, it will be based on bringing in talent, not about whether he has the experience to do it. The guy knows how to coach and recruit, but it takes a special person to make it happen at certain schools. We will see if he has the angle to get kids to UW. Will he make the right assistant hires to help on the west coast?

Comments

• Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2017
    Coaching ability and running a program are different. And yes we are paying him millions like we paid Sark to learn on the Job. That part on his application were it reads

1) have you ever been a head coach?

A )No
    B )Yes
    C )Janet Reno

Sark can obviously coach, but he can't run a program. If he couldn't coach he wouldn't still be landing high profile jobs.
    What was Hops record at Syracuse as head man? 4-5, not great. Tui is 1-0.

And I love how Doogs like to not discuss that he was passed over for Wayne Tinkle, most likely because Tinkle had put his time in learning how to run a program at Montana. I'm in LIPO mode. I think it's Doogism at best to crown this hire as great and he hasn't win a single game.
    I love all the enthusiasm, but fuck, let's chill on the he will be great until he is.
    I agree anything was better than Ro'MAR, and fuck MJP he wasn't doing anything at UW but showcase himself as a one and done.
  • Options
    It's retarded to think if Coach Boeheim retired and Gregg Marshall was available that even Syracuse would hire Hop.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863

Coaching ability and running a program are different. And yes we are paying him millions like we paid Sark to learn on the Job. That part on his application were it reads

1) have you ever been a head coach?

A )No
    B )Yes
    C )Janet Reno

Sark can obviously coach, but he can't run a program. If he couldn't coach he wouldn't still be landing high profile jobs.
    What was Hops record at Syracuse as head man? 4-5, not great. Tui is 1-0.

And I love how Doogs like to not discuss that he was passed over for Wayne Tinkle, most likely because Tinkle had put his time in learning how to run a program at Montana. I'm in LIPO mode. I think it's Doogism at best to crown this hire as great and he hasn't win a single game.
    I love all the enthusiasm, but fuck, let's chill on the he will be great until he is.
    I agree anything was better than Ro'MAR, and fuck MJP he wasn't doing anything at UW but showcase himself as a one and done.

Tinkle had a four star recruit in his back pocket and Stevie Thompson's kid waiting to sign on the line too (that likely would have stuck with Hopkins given the Syracuse connection). Hopkins' only sin there was he didn't have a star player living in his house.

This worked out better in the long run.
  • Options
    dnc said:

It's retarded to think if Coach Boeheim retired and Gregg Marshall was available that even Syracuse would hire Hop.

Uhh, no one's claiming that.

Syracuse can't afford Gregg Marshall.

Neither can Washington.

Complete strawman.
    Do you know anything about Syracuse and their budget constraints? That's a pretty bold statement to make.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Neither can Washington.

Complete strawman.
    Do you know anything about Syracuse and their budget constraints? That's a pretty bold statement to make.
    I know based on reading the Cuse bored when we hired Hop that their fans don't expect to spend like a marquee program for their next coach because they don't have the budget of a marquee program. $3 million per year sounded like the very high end they expected to spend.

I suppose i could be wrong but I wasn't wrong about UW not being able to afford him. I doubt I'm wrong this time either.

He's going to end up at one of the 6 blue bloods or someone who is next tier (Arizona, UConn, Florida, Michigan State if Izzo retired soon?) and is willing to break the bank. It appears Cuse is not that program.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Neither can Washington.

Complete strawman.
    I know based on reading the Cuse bored when we hired Hop that their fans don't expect to spend like a marquee program for their next coach because they don't have the budget of a marquee program. $3 million per year sounded like the very high end they expected to spend.

I suppose i could be wrong but I wasn't wrong about UW not being able to afford him. I doubt I'm wrong this time either.

He's going to end up at one of the 6 blue bloods or someone who is next tier (Arizona, UConn, Florida, Michigan State if Izzo retired soon?) and is willing to break the bank. It appears Cuse is not that program.
    A lot of football programs aren't paying 4 million for a football coach. The thought that more than about 5 schools are going to pony up for Marshall is spadofs. I don't see Marshall leaving unless he grows tired of the NCAA selection process and takes less to coach at a bigger school.

He seems like a wet dream for a lot of programs but few will ever pony up equitable cash without him taking a cut

• Options

Yeah yeah, been off the boards for a bit and instead of going through 45 threads(likely covering 5 total topics) I'll just cover the topics here.

1) MPJ leaving means literally nothing to UW. Anyone who believes that Romar staying next year, with MPJ on the roster all of a sudden brings in a Final 4 run hasn't watched Romar coach defense/offense/ or team chemistry the last 6 years.

1a) MPJ means that Hopkins can now start building a roster with guys he wants, offering early PT to big time prospects. Yes this sounds a bit CP kooolaid, but who on UW's current roster would you be heartbroken if they left? My two would be thybulle and johnson. But i'm sure others have at least 1 or 2 others. The rest of the roster needs to leave, or wake up to a new sherrif in town(most please leave). I won't be shocked to see kids transfers in the spring after they see Hopkins is going to be a hard ass that expects actual preparation and work.

2) Dickerson left. He was the winner in the cripple fight of UW roster. Sure, wouldn't hurt if he wanted to stay and buy in, but in reality I'd rather see Hopkins put his own stamp on this roster with his guys. Dickerson isn't exciting and had bought into the romar bullshit that D1 should be about shoot arounds and slappin high fives.

3) I will give Hopkins credit for his rep in recruiting until he doesn't prove it. I actually like what he did with MPJ. His dad was not coming on his staff, and MPJ was not going to go to UW. So he didn't waste time at all. I personally think that's smart. There is no reason to worry about him pulling in talent that can actually be a team, and make moves. He came out of left field, but I sure as hell like his background and his ability to keep conroy on staff. That may open the door to keeping some seattle guys home. I still want to see how he builds out the entire staff.

4) I've seen some of the other hires out there, and nothing has been earth shattering so it's not like we're missing out on all these other great hires. I put a list together a few weeks ago which had a bunch of names 95% of the pepole on this board know nothing about. Hopkins is pretty close in that list of what you get when you're team is middle to sunk in the conference for a decade.

a) He's a very tall white man who can be fired without fear of prejudice if he sucks.
    b) He enjoys defense, which will be something new for this school even if I prefer more m2m, any defense would be better than what we've had
    c) They have recruited quite a few players and coached up players to make deep runs in tourneys
    d) And really, b/c we have no fucking choice but let the man do his job for a year and see how he starts to build a roster,

6) i did read a couple threads and a few of you are fucking retarded. "Paying a guy to learn how to coach". UW hasn't made a NCAA in 6 years, our roster resembles a WAC team sans the #1 pick in the draft, and the current coach that you all are annointing for sainthood would still fall well under the "paying a guy to learn how to coach" tag. Christ, doogs used it about how youth were leaving for nba draft just the last 3 years even though it's been happening for 15 years. Hopkins has been in the game, and run a the actual cuse program for years. Jimmy is just the figurehead. If he fails here, it will be based on bringing in talent, not about whether he has the experience to do it. The guy knows how to coach and recruit, but it takes a special person to make it happen at certain schools. We will see if he has the angle to get kids to UW. Will he make the right assistant hires to help on the west coast?

disagree
    #isupportcoachromar
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I wouldn't be able to name one player on washington if I was looking at a team picture. They all fucking suck. Any kid who would choose washington over gonzaga or oregon is a loser.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Somewhat disagree on point 6. Boeheim wouldn't have had the success he has had or been a team USA coach if he was just a figurehead.

Hopkins did a lot of the recruiting and day to day work, but Boeheim is the coach making decisions on strategy and calling the plays.

I think it's likely Hop will recruit well. He is supposedly really good at it and he has cred from some great coaches and players from working with Team USA.

Whether he can coach is anyone's guess. I like the hire and think Hop has a high ceiling and the floor is some level of mediocrity.
    Boeheim has been a great coach for a lengthy period of time ... but I don't think it's a massive stretch to say that he's taken at least a partial backseat in the last 5 years or so compared to his involvement say 20 years ago.

You are likely right that Boeheim still maintained day to day type of controls in the program as CEO but became a little more hands off and made more executive type of decisions versus driving a lot of the deep dives himself.

The floor will basically be where we were at right now with Romar ... it will probably be a little better than that. It's really too early to judge the ceiling because the program really is in the shitter right now and IMO the ultimate success for Hopkins will be based on how quicky he can get things turned around. If he's still at the 6-12 or worse conference record in Year 3 then there's a reason to be very concerned.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

dnc said:

dnc said:

Neither can Washington.

Complete strawman.

A lot of football programs aren't paying 4 million for a football coach. The thought that more than about 5 schools are going to pony up for Marshall is spadofs. I don't see Marshall leaving unless he grows tired of the NCAA selection process and takes less to coach at a bigger school.

He seems like a wet dream for a lot of programs but few will ever pony up equitable cash without him taking a cut

Pretty much this ...

He'll likely have to take a lateral move from a $$$ standpoint to go to a blue blood (which he would do) or a slight $$$ decrease to go to a next tier where he could be very competitive in the national picture.

He'll ultimately have to decide how much of his future career he dictates by $$$ and how much he is drawn to being able to get on the platform to be a national championship. Get the latter and you're immortal as a coach ... the former is great internally but ultimately gets forgotten about.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

Lots of words just to confirm that the program should DIAFF.