Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

List of Candidates...

Comments

• Options
    ThumpThump Member Posts: 793
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I have no idea who to get, but that dude sounds as good as anybody.

But, why would he come here?
  • Options
    Petersen3098Petersen3098 Member Posts: 365
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited March 2017
    Thump said:

I have no idea who to get, but that dude sounds as good as anybody.

But, why would he come here?
    Maybe NBA teams won't want him?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Take a chance at: Mark Few

Unlikely, but worth a call: Randy Bennett, Gregg Marshall

More Realistic: Mark Fox, Ben Howland, Leon Rice

Backups: Tommy Lloyd, Eric Musselman, TJ Otz, Brandon Roy

Recommendation: Otz
    Prediction: Musselman

No chance I'd want anything to do with Few ... and he's never leaving Gonzaga anyway because he's the kind of guy that likes being a big fish in a small pond.

Bennett I'm not crazy about here ... he'd almost certainly turn off the Seattle AAU community that you have to have a working relationship with to get the metro area talent. While he does have a decent international pipeline, his teams are only marginally athletically superior for the WCC and I just don't see that Alaska pipeline netting him the kind of players needed to be an upper PAC team. And to be honest, I don't think most of his St. Mary's teams are better than .500 in the PAC.

Marshall ... MAKE HIM SAY NO

Mark Fox ... why would we want to talk a guy who is one more non-NCAA year away from getting fired from Georgia?

Ben Howland's better days are behind him ... that's the kind of uninspired retread hire that a losing program makes.

Leon Rice ... decent backup option ... but honestly not a guy that you eat the entire buyout to go get ... he's not a needle mover or difference maker.

Tommy Lloyd ... I really don't want anybody from the Gonzaga tree

Eric Musselman ... to me, a slightly more upside hire to Leon Rice ... could have more downside ... I'd prefer him to Rice

TJ Otz ... I don't see why we would make the play to go get a guy who has minimal head coaching experience ... I expect he'll be a good coach at some point going forward but it'll probably be in the Big 12 or Big 10

Brandon Roy ... maybe in 10 years

From another thread about Fred Hoiberg ... more likely scenario is that he goes back to Iowa State and we take Steve Prohm from there without paying a buyout ... Prohm is a very good coach and I'd endorse him
  • Options
    seatownfunkseatownfunk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 802
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Make Jason Kerr say no!!!!
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Make Jason Kerr say no!!!!

STAY AWAY FROM KERR
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,081
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No Zane Potter?! I'm disgusted in you!

All kidding aside, I wonder if Nate McMillan, would be interested. I mean I don't know if he understands the amount of coffee cups it takes to attract top talent, or is willing to put in the time to recruit.
  • Options
    RomarFuckedJenCRomarFuckedJenC Member Posts: 117
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

No chance I'd want anything to do with Few ... and he's never leaving Gonzaga anyway because he's the kind of guy that likes being a big fish in a small pond.

Bennett I'm not crazy about here ... he'd almost certainly turn off the Seattle AAU community that you have to have a working relationship with to get the metro area talent. While he does have a decent international pipeline, his teams are only marginally athletically superior for the WCC and I just don't see that Alaska pipeline netting him the kind of players needed to be an upper PAC team. And to be honest, I don't think most of his St. Mary's teams are better than .500 in the PAC.

Mark Fox ... why would we want to talk a guy who is one more non-NCAA year away from getting fired from Georgia?

Ben Howland's better days are behind him ... that's the kind of uninspired retread hire that a losing program makes.

Leon Rice ... decent backup option ... but honestly not a guy that you eat the entire buyout to go get ... he's not a needle mover or difference maker.

Eric Musselman ... to me, a slightly more upside hire to Leon Rice ... could have more downside ... I'd prefer him to Rice

TJ Otz ... I don't see why we would make the play to go get a guy who has minimal head coaching experience ... I expect he'll be a good coach at some point going forward but it'll probably be in the Big 12 or Big 10

From another thread about Fred Hoiberg ... more likely scenario is that he goes back to Iowa State and we take Steve Prohm from there without paying a buyout ... Prohm is a very good coach and I'd endorse him
    It seems the coaches I want are out of reach Miller and marshall. musselman might be alright his team lacks defense but the others seem like they would be slapdick hires. I have a friend who works for gonzaga athletics as a coach of a different sport. He thinks Lloyd would be an amazing hire but seems to be being a homer with that. Lloyd is the in your face quit fucking up coach for them and recruits well internationally.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

No Zane Potter?! I'm disgusted in you!

All kidding aside, I wonder if Nate McMillan, would be interested. I mean I don't know if he understands the amount of coffee cups it takes to attract top talent, or is willing to put in the time to recruit.

I'm not sure Nate's actually a good coach anymore ... I could make an argument that he's stuck between how basketball used to be played and how it's currently played.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mark Sanford
    Brad Stevens
    Jan Wooten
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

It seems the coaches I want are out of reach Miller and marshall. musselman might be alright his team lacks defense but the others seem like they would be slapdick hires. I have a friend who works for gonzaga athletics as a coach of a different sport. He thinks Lloyd would be an amazing hire but seems to be being a homer with that. Lloyd is the in your face quit fucking up coach for them and recruits well internationally.
    Lloyd is the driver behind Gonzaga's ongoing success. Few was essentially the towel boy on Dan Fitzgerald's coaching staff. Monson was the obvious successor and it wasn't even close. Few just outlasted everyone else and stuck around until he was next in line. He is quite simply the luckiest man alive.

Few is smart enough to continue to surround himself with head-coach quality guys - Bill Grier was a good guy, Ray Giocoletti - excellent coach, Donnie Daniels - black guy/recruiter, but he really fell into it with Lloyd. Dr. Jerry Krause was on the staff for years and a true X and O technician geek. He's also become kind of a haven for fired coaches as 'volunteer assistants' - Giocoletti, George Pfeifer from Idaho, Ken Bone, another dude from back east who was fired in disgrace.

Lloyd is a recruiting fucking machine who never stops talking. He is as dialed in internationally as anyone and the guys who come in can play. And as far as being an in-your-face coach, he played for Jeff Reinland at WWCC who is a raging lunatic so he comes from good in-your-face stock.

Lloyd would be a good but risky hire simply for lack of head coaching experience - but he is the top dog in the Gonzaga food chain, no doubt. Bill Grier and Leon Rice got tired of waiting around for Few to leave (and if he turned down Indiana and Oregon - he never will leave) so maybe Lloyd has figured out he's being played with the coach-in-waiting deal. Few is barely over 50 - he's not going anywhere for 10 or 15 years at least.

That said, Gregg Marshall is the target. No doubt. Homerun hire above even the Chris Petersen hire. Lloyd would be a good fallback/risky hire if budget factors in.

tl:dr Hi, @Tequilla
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I don't think it's that unrealistic to shoot for Few. Get Petersen on the phone with him-- that's recruiting 101. They are basically the same person.

No. Few has never made a F4 and Pete won multiple BCS games at Boise. Not equivalent.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Rice is also from the Gonzaga tree.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Kevin Keatts

Junior Pitino
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Kevin Keatts

Junior Pitino