Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Wednesday Pole

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
edited March 2017 in Tug Tavern
Chinspired by Stalin's poast about Appetite For Destruction, when did you buy your first album on CD?

Also, write in what album.

Wednesday Pole 21 votes

Before 1987: my two dads gave me everything I wanted, chin exchange for cocksucking
23%
QuornDawgDawgtonaDeepSeaZAZDuckSledog 5 votes
1987-89: I popped my collar on the way to private school
4%
PurpleThrobber 1 vote
1990-92: my two dads were middle class liberal lumberjacks who would smash your face in
23%
Mosster47Bad_MotherDuckerrodmansragePitchfork51Doog_de_Jour 5 votes
93-94: I am usually late, and I don't mean fashionably late
4%
YellowSnow 1 vote
95 or beyond: FML I suck
28%
Fire_Marshall_BillUWhuskytskeetCokeGreaterThanPepsidncFenderbender123RedRocket 6 votes
Never owned a CD: I'm a spoiled millenial who deserves AIDS
14%
dhdawgallpurpleallgoldNEsnake12 3 votes

Comments

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,504 Founders Club
    1996 I believe. Grunge turned me off to rock. I did have a few records and cassettes prior.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    I don't believe you @allpurpleallgold!
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,143
    1990-92: my two dads were middle class liberal lumberjacks who would smash your face in
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,970
    I bought these 2 CDs at Camelot Music sometime in 1996. I was in 6th grade.

• allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    Never owned a CD: I'm a spoiled millenial who deserves AIDS
    dnc said:

You gave me two choices; to be a millennial that's never owned a cd or to not be a millennial. I made my choice.

dnc said:

You gave me two choices; to be a millennial that's never owned a cd or to not be a millennial. I made my choice.
    Disagree. I didn't say millenials never owned cd's. I just said if you never owned cd's you're a millenial.

Sounds like you need to learn the difference. @Fenderbender123 got it.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    'Nsync - No Strings Attached
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    My parents let me get 2 CDs that first trip to Off the Record:

- Forever Your Girl, Paula Abdul
    - Violator, Depeche Mode

I still remember the unnecessary excess packaging of CDs at the time:

Half the box was just empty.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    Write in: Can't remember and don't fucking care.

Write in: Can't remember and don't fucking care.

FO, G
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,970

Didn't get my first CD until 1994...Beatles Rubber Soul.

Was that during the period when they released their CD albums on Apple Records? I hear those are worth money, but can't find any on Ebay to verify.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,934 Founders Club
    edited March 2017
    93-94: I am usually late, and I don't mean fashionably late

Didn't get my first CD until 1994...Beatles Rubber Soul.

Was that during the period when they released their CD albums on Apple Records? I hear those are worth money, but can't find any on Ebay to verify.
    Beatles catalog was first released on CD in 1987 and anything bought in the 90's would have been these masterings. As far as the labels that the CD's were issued under it was sort of a join deal between Capital, Parlophone (their British label in the 60's), and Apple. Used Beatles CD's aren't worth anything, unless it's some sort of rare Japanese pressing or something like that. Now 1st pressings of their 60's vinyl records, especially the UK pressings which sounded way better, are worth a shit ton. Minty 1st pressing UK Beatles LP's will fetch in the hundreds to thousands of dollars range.
  • RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527
    I signed up for one of those magazine cd subscriptions in elementary school - think it might have been BMG? It was a waste of money but I had a decent sized collection for 10-12 year old.

Napster was life changing when it first came out. Took 30min to download a song on dial up and I would play it out and get sick of it before it even finished downloading.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,442 Founders Club
    I grew up listening to my sister's Beatles albums and my brother's superior collection of bands like Cream

The first album I bought was Led Zeppelin 2 because I had saved enough money to buy a stereo and we'd get high and listen to Whole Lotta Love where the bridge would go between the speakers.

I thought that was the height of technology and we'd never see better
    edited March 2017
    RedRocket said:

I signed up for one of those magazine cd subscriptions in elementary school - think it might have been BMG? It was a waste of money but I had a decent sized collection for 10-12 year old.

Napster was life changing when it first came out. Took 30min to download a song on dial up and I would play it out and get sick of it before it even finished downloading.

I was in college when Napster hit. Only took about 3-5 minutes on school DSL to download a tune. I must have had 50 songs queued up at any given tim.

Fuck Metallica.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    I remember reading about an enterprising basement dweller who signed up with BMG under multiple aliases (thousands of them) to get free cd's and then made about $1 million in profit reselling them. They put him in jail for his efforts.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    I got Pearl Jam Ten with a Sony Discman for Christmas in 1991.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    edited March 2017
    dnc said:

RedRocket said:

I was in college when Napster hit. Only took about 3-5 minutes on school DSL to download a tune. I must have had 50 songs queued up at any given time.

Fuck Metallica.
    I remember when the federal judge ordered Napster to shut down. The day before the ruling took effect, nearly every workstation in the Odegaard computer lab was taken up by someone desperately trying to download as many songs as possible.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,318 Founders Club
    Mosster47 said:

I got Pearl Jam Ten with a Sony Discman for Christmas in 1991.

That album felt epic at the time but looking back it's really good but not great.