Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What program do we most need to up our game against in recruiting?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Lots of good posting going on of late about Pete laying out a recruiting footprint that is "sustainable" (footnote for @Tequilla here) and sets us up for long term success. And, of course, there is the we will never beat out USC or UCLA for So Cal kids (unless Jimmy Lake is involved, in which case we might have shot) narrative. That said, if we use our MBAs (or lack thereof) and get all SWOTy, what is the one school that we need to improve against to achieve our goal of being competitive on a national level?

What program do we most need to up our game against in recruiting? 38 votes

The Tree (we're building a huge fence and you're gonna pay assholes)
47%
HouhuskyAlCzervikDawgtonadhdawg79smoothdawgDennis_DeYoungUWhuskytskeetExtraChrisBTequillabiak1SarkinghamDooglesBayDawgFremontTrollToddTurnerLIVESYellowSnowKevininTacomaPrideoftheNW 18 votes
Oregon (keep pulling BC's out of their state)
10%
AZDuckBreadFKA_MousecopWeirdArpeggi 4 votes
USC (put down the crack pipe - we fucked)
31%
vadawgpat_hmMeekDeepSeaZTTJNeGgaPlEaSeEwaDawgBaphomethardhatNEsnake12DubSixGamerjhfstyle24 12 votes
UCLA (see above)
5%
Gladstonednc 2 votes
The Utah Schools (for all that Intermountain West talent)
5%
backthepackIce_Holmvik 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Please recruit the fuck out of Oregon.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    never gonna beat USC.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    We need the big polys
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2017
    UCLA (see above)

We need the big polys

I agree, but recruiting Utah is problematic. 1. There are some kids who are just going to go to BYU 2. There are some kids who are just going to take a mission and who knows what happens after that. 3. Of the kids who aren't going to do 1 or 2, a bunch of them are going to be seduced by USC.

There's still a good chunk of talented kids who don't fall in any of those three categories, but we don't have any specific advantage for them other than a winning program. We're not especially Poly on the staff or the team anymore, we're not especially close to Utah.

I'm all for establishing a presence in Utah, but I really see it as Eastern Hawaii (Hi Ruth!). We don't have any built in advantages there anymore, so expecting it to be a serious pipeline is probably unrealistic. If we could pull a kid or two every year that would be awesome.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2017
    dnc said:

We need the big polys

I agree, but recruiting Utah is problematic. 1. There are some kids who are just going to go to BYU 2. There are some kids who are just going to take a mission and who knows what happens after that. 3. Of the kids who aren't going to do 1 or 2, a bunch of them are going to be seduced by USC.

There's still a good chunk of talented kids who don't fall in any of those three categories, but we don't have any specific advantage for them other than a winning program. We're not especially Poly on the staff or the team anymore, we're not especially close to Utah.

I'm all for establishing a presence in Utah, but I really see it as Eastern Hawaii. We don't have any built in advantages there anymore, so expecting it to be a serious pipeline is probably unrealistic. If we could pull a kid or two every year that would be awesome.
    Agreed
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Forced to choose, I picked UCLA. We'll never consistently beat USC, and Stanford recruits nationally so it's rare we go head to head with them (though it would be nice to stop losing in state OL to them).

I think UCLA is the biggest target. They recruit areas of SoCal where we "have a shot" at getting kids,they get lots of talent and they consistently underachieve with it. If I were to spend time crafting a strategy to take recruits from one specific school, they would be it. Even so, we'll lose more battles with them in So Cal then we'll win, but if you added even two or three wins vs UCLA a year to where we already are, that's a pretty bad ass caliber of class.

I suppose the amount that we compete directly for the same kids as Stanford is probably overstated- e.g., Garnett and Fozzy defeats were 5 years apart.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    UCLA (see above)

dnc said:

Forced to choose, I picked UCLA. We'll never consistently beat USC, and Stanford recruits nationally so it's rare we go head to head with them (though it would be nice to stop losing in state OL to them).

I think UCLA is the biggest target. They recruit areas of SoCal where we "have a shot" at getting kids,they get lots of talent and they consistently underachieve with it. If I were to spend time crafting a strategy to take recruits from one specific school, they would be it. Even so, we'll lose more battles with them in So Cal then we'll win, but if you added even two or three wins vs UCLA a year to where we already are, that's a pretty bad ass caliber of class.

I suppose the amount that we compete directly for the same kids as Stanford is probably overstated- e.g., Garnett and Fozzy defeats were 5 years apart.
    We lost the snowboarder to them too but supposedly we cut him loose when he set up his trip (unlike, say, Ty Jones). So it's hard to say how badly we really wanted Connor
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,022
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

I agree, but recruiting Utah is problematic. 1. There are some kids who are just going to go to BYU 2. There are some kids who are just going to take a mission and who knows what happens after that.

problem solved if chip peterman converts to lds, imo.

come to montlake, soak all the bitches you want.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,979
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Stanford gets recruits from everywhere. I feel like if we take the 2-3 recruits a year we fight over it wont make much a difference for them.

USC is in LA we fucked unless they rehire sark.
    UCLA sucks.
    Who cares about mountains. This is the Pacific Coast Conference!

Take all of oregons good recruits and they are done. Then we just have the tree to beat to get into pac12 champion game.

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,236
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

We need the big polys

I hear Hawaii is a pretty good place to recroot big polys too.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    Swaye's Wigwam

We need the big polys